Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
... innit? ...
Eh? Ah! UBCD?

Quote:
... All I wanted to point out was that the life of a "ordinary man" would be much easier ...
The ease with which one can zero in to street address/house ...
LOL To use your own expression to you - "Sorry to break the bubble for you" - you haven't really ever used a Nav unit practically, have you?

1. Maps in India are a few YEARS away to have enough Address data to search against. It doesn't matter whether you 'speak' to the Nav unit or touch it in the right places, it will not understand you anyway

2. Sensible drivers always have enough time to plan their journey, which includes specifying to the Nav unit where they want to go - BEFORE they start the journey

3. Sensible drivers know enough NOT to start fiddling with the Nav unit while driving. Kids, OTOH, will only think of that - and not the objective of having a Nav unit

Let alone advising product companies what they should make and what not, shouldn't it be more prudent on your part to know HOW Nav units are actually used, practically - before suggesting Star Wars features? We need to be ordinary men before suggesting what "ordinary man" should use!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 16:41   #182

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post deleted. Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.
All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section (especially #14) before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Consider this as first and last warning.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th April 2013 at 18:30.
Darth_Vader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2013, 18:48   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MapmyIndia do have the best maps for India. But what could give better hold in the market for them is launching future devices with "Voice Recognition" ie the ability to control the device - menu features etc by voice commands.
India is a country of many accents. The enunciation in English varies greatly and I doubt any Voice Recognition device will do an accurate job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Maps in India are a few YEARS away to have enough Address data to search against. It doesn't matter whether you 'speak' to the Nav unit or touch it in the right places, it will not understand you anyway!
In Mumbai many roads have an old English name and a newer Marathi or Hindi name usually the name of a politician or their relative or friend, most of us older folk still use the older English names and I wonder if MapmyIndia or TomTom would follow these.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 11:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... most of us older folk still use the older English names and I wonder if MapmyIndia or TomTom would follow these.
It is a strange mix in the India map database. The issue is with the map data creators and QA resources (people) and their relationship with the data, not with what the road is or was called. Some rely on verified digitized GIS data produced in the last GIS thrust in India (there was one some 20+ years back). Some rely on the Eicher maps, which were good w.r.t. road names. Some rely on local knowledge / cross checking with locals.

By default it is the latest name (at the time of capture). Changes to road names do not get updated that fast - municipal guys change it maybe once in a couple of years based on local whims and fancies. The same getting updated in the map will take 10+ years. Current priority is completing coverage in India, updates do happen if critical enough. For example, for quite some time, NH7 was appearing as "Hosur Road" on Google Maps (I wish I had taken a screen shot then). Obviously a boo-boo, Google guys corrected it to what it is locally known - Bellary Road, and further out, Bangalore-Hyderabad Highway, which it actually is.

Old (usually English) road names v/s new (local language / celebrity / 'in honor of' names) manifest themselves based on which is easier to remember. Some old names will never go away no matter how hard the municipal guys or local leaders try, and hence they appear in the maps. Some roads, which no one remembers the name anyhow (as in 'the main road in so&so colony'), show up with new names. Roads constructed recently usually don't have ANY name - the nav UI software substitutes with 'Road' or 'Alley' - just that - when speaking out directions. Like "drive 200m on Alley and take left"
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:20   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MapmyIndia do have the best maps for India.
Hi
No I don't think so. Many times , specially in the mountains, Google maps on my android phone, actually gave better directions than the MapMyIndia unit in the car.
Case in point:
When approaching Almora , UK (important town in the Kumaon region and district headquarters) from Bhimtal mapmyindia will actually direct you to make a left turn (away from the city!). Google Maps actually tells you to go straight.
There have been other instances as well -mostly in the remote areas of Pithodagarh district in UK, where Google Maps scored much better than MapMyIndia.

Even in the city (New Delhi) - MapMyIndia's POI database is just not as good as Google's. It's a real struggle to identify nearby spots to get accurate directions on mapmyindia. Often, the best you can do is search for the specific colony- and that's about it. After you reach there, you are on your own-and have to ask locals to reach the place you need to go to. Google's database on the other hand is continuously updated by the public, and most times, one can zero-in on a landmark fairly quickly.

That's my observation.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:40   #186
BHPian

I have been using MMI since 2 years now and it is doing what it is supposed to do - Show directions.

Well at times it does tend to show alternate routes however it depends on how you input the instructions for the desired results.
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 18:41   #187
BHPian

I have a MMI Road Pilot 2 on my i10 for the last 2 years. The device was running Maps Version 6.x till 5 days back, when I purchased the 2-time Maps update plan and upgraded to Version 8. Since then I have noticed that the device sometimes gives wrong directions (like asking you to go right when there is no road to the right). Since you cannot follow a wrong direction, you go on and the device corrects itself.

The point I am making is that the above started happening after Version 8 upgrade. I have written to MMI support and they have responded by asking me exactly where these wrong directions appeared. They do not know the reason and have said they will have to consult their Mapping team. So moral of the story, dont put blind faith in the GPS.....

Incidentally MMI charges for map upgrades - you have to pay for it, they send you an email asking you for your device and storage ids. They send you a download link and a license file to unlock the map data, and you copy both of these into your device from a PC using the supplied USB cable.
motorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 16:36   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I have a MMI Road Pilot 2 on my i10 for the last 2 years. The device was running Maps Version 6.x till 5 days back, when I purchased the 2-time Maps update plan and upgraded to Version 8. Since then I have noticed that the device sometimes gives wrong directions (like asking you to go right when there is no road to the right). Since you cannot follow a wrong direction, you go on and the device corrects itself.

The point I am making is that the above started happening after Version 8 upgrade. I have written to MMI support and they have responded by asking me exactly where these wrong directions appeared. They do not know the reason and have said they will have to consult their Mapping team. So moral of the story, dont put blind faith in the GPS.....

Incidentally MMI charges for map upgrades - you have to pay for it, they send you an email asking you for your device and storage ids. They send you a download link and a license file to unlock the map data, and you copy both of these into your device from a PC using the supplied USB cable.
An update - MMI support suggested removing all files on the device except for the maps folder and the shell file (used to load the maps when the device starts). Tried it today - seems to be working fine now....
motorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 15:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

I bought a blaupunkt travel pilot lucca about three years ago from MMI. Now I visited their website to upgrade to their latest v8 maps but the device is not listed.

Why did mmi pull the plug on the device , what are users like me supposed to do now ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 28th April 2013 at 15:04.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 21:45   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I bought a blaupunkt travel pilot lucca about three years ago from MMI. Now I visited their website to upgrade to their latest v8 maps but the device is not listed.

Why did mmi pull the plug on the device , what are users like me supposed to do now ?
Same situation here :( Blaupunkt has no option in India to buy any of the parts - car charger, replacement battery...
MMI has terrible record in terms of supporting the products they sell. My car charger for this product failed and
I do not know how to get a replacement.
Waxeloquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 14:28   #191
R_R
BHPian

Autocop had asked this question several months back about MMI's In-Das Navigation system but nobody seems to have responded. I wanted to buy the MMI In-Dash system too but the OE-fit 2-Din system for my Grand Vitara rather than the universal system Autocop asked about (though I suspect the tech details are broadly the same). Here's the link to the system:

http://www.mapmyindia.com/in-dash-avn/oe-fit-2-din#

Has anyone installed this OE or even the universal system on any car?
Can we get some feedback on its quality, ease of use etc, or any major problems? How easy is it to install? Can any car accessory shop install it? The system costs Rs. 28K. So I don't want to take the plunge without getting some team-member feedback.

The reason I am looking at this instead of a separate GPS unit is because of the larger screen size (losing my sight!!) and also because it looks cleaner than a separate unit attached to the windscreen.

Would greatly appreciate a response and guidance.
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 15:39   #192
BHPian

My personal experience with MMI is not good. They do not understand the products, particularly the hardware. If it does not break down then you are fine. Now they have also found a way to keep charging for what they term as upgrade. I did spend close to Rs 1K about a year back and moved to Version 6. Now they charge equal amount to move version 8. I also found that
most of the details when you get down smaller towns, Google maps and Google search are better and easier. MMI's customer support from Delhi is pathetic. I almost wiped out entire map data following their guidance. I had a fellow traveller once whose
Android phone helped better than this MMI Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca. The only merit I see is /was it was cheap. Yes, CHEAP that's the word I'd use, not inexpensive. So be very careful if you plan to spend big money. Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 15:48   #193
Senior - BHPian

It is sad that a big city like Blore has just one MMI service point which is an incompetent accessory dealer on Mission Road.

My Road Pilot is 2 years old and was bought on a discount since it was a display piece which was not selling. I picked it up knowing I will need to replace the battery soon. The battery for initial few months lasted for around 30 minutes if not slightly more and most of the times was plugged in.
Soon lines on display arrived which I did not bother since it was on the top and did not hamper the touch.
I knew that there was loose connection at the power port since at times as soon as the device boots, the display used to flicker and turn off and the charge light used to turn from red to green from which I knew there was a connection issue at the power port. Now I was sure battery is dead or else the device will not turn off when this happens.

I tried calling all of MMI's support numbers and all of them pointed me to the same guy who I had visited once before to update my map.
The waiting there is annoying and I went there out of no choice. I tell him the issue and he confirms the battery is dead and needs replacing which costs rs950. He makes me wait for almost 2 hours saying the battery needs charging and takes the device to a lane behind the shop and I am not sure what even he is doing. Finally I get annoyed and give him a mouthful and gets the device back saying it needs 4 hours charging so it is full. I leave and connect it in my car and let it charge as much as I could and does not max out.
I had to even return half way back to his shop since they did not bother checking the screen calibration which was off.
After few days when I used the device again, I wanted to check how long it would last on battery, and to my shock, as soon as it was unplugged, it went to the last bar and lasted just 10-15 minutes after which it turned off!

I thought maybe its because I never let it charge to full capacity which I tried doing many times after that, but it never did. I was sure this guy sold me a used battery which was why he kept saying let it charge fully.
After few weeks I visit and complain that the battery they sold seems defective. He checks the device and says the board is bad and the charging is not happening and for the same reason my previous battery had bulged and stuff .
I am fine with the old battery bulging and probably damaging the charging feature. The annoying part is this guy who replaced the battery am sure would have known this and went ahead and replaced the battery and God alone knows if it was a new battery.

MMI has appointed an accessory shop guy as their service point to whom I cannot say much either. I am fine with the device being plugged in always as long as it works and even asked him to remove the battery so it does not overheat and supposedly the device will not function without the battery in place.

Now I make it work by playing with the charger jack near the port and ended up wasting 1K for a soon to be paperweight.

If anyone knows of another service point in Blore, please do let me know.
Regards
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 20:09   #194
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thumbs up My Lx130 Gets v8.0 Maps

Now, my 3.5 year old MMI Lx130 navigator has got the new version 8.0 maps. Yesterday, I bought 2-year map upgrade plan costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 3090
Size:  578 Bytes1,750 comprising 4 map upgrades in 2 calendar years. Earlier, my Lx130 had v6.0, 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1 maps under the same plan. I got the link to download the map files immediately, which I downloaded and copied in my Lx130. Today, I received the licence files from MMI. But, when I loaded them in my navigator, it did not go beyond the opening menu. After few telephonic calls with the support team of MMI, I downloaded the map files again today from the link given and reloaded them into my Lx130 with the licence files as suggested by the support team. Voila! It works perfectly alright now. It seemed there was some interruption during my yesterday's downloading resulting in a bug that created problem.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 16:17   #195
BHPian

just a novice question! Does any navigator in India, provide for live traffic updates on the go ?
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote