Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th October 2011, 21:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Did you root your phone? Is the hack via Brut maps?
No its not rooted , its a stock phone. You can download the hacked version of google navigation app in which world navigation is activated. giving you the link below.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

or this

maps5.10.1-ownhere-changepnp.apk

Make sure that you have not installed the Google Street View app, if do uninstall that first and install this one.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 00:27   #77
BHPian

Hi,

In MMI if I want to know my present location at any moment in time and not program for any specific route/ direction is that possible? I have tried but without putting in a new route, it shows the earlier route and the directions to get to that earlier location which has already been reached.

TIA
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 09:57   #78
BHPian

Smile Re: MapMyIndia Navigation - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I'm using MMI Road Pilot (Map V.6.0) and Google Navigation through my Nexus S.

I can tell you Google Navigation is much better than MMI at the present state too (mind you google navigation is not officially available in India, so you have to use the signed version to get it work)

I have used both these devices simultaneously on my recent trips to Ooty,Guruvayoor and Chickmagalur and here is my take.

Maps : Google Maps wins hands down. Now you can even store the maps offline for your desired route. MMI maps were broken before Salem (New 4 line road), some time after Nelamangala (again new road).

Navigation/Route : You have a choice to choose the routes in Google Maps, if MMI can gives this option it will be very good indeed. On MMI i didn't faced any signal issues and for google navigation the Signal was lost in Mudumalai forest(on the way to Ooty) for couple of times and the navigation was stopped.

Finding POI: its a breeze in Google and MMI needs improvements in search.

Battery : MMI wins hands down as my Nexus S gives overheating Alert. battery wont last in Nexus S even if you put on charge.Keep a fully charged spare battery if you want to use the phone after the Navigation.

Voice: MMI is very good as my Google Navigation app forecloses after sometime if i put the volumn.

Night Usage: Google is very good and it wont distract you .

Cost: I paid around 9K for MMI (no map upgrade done yet) and 23 K for Nexus S Phone plus i have taken Rs.99/- Monthly Data Plan with 2GB free usage from Airtel. The Rs.99 plan from airtel is more than enough for occasional navigation usage plus your other internet browsing.

Attending calls in between through bluetooth doesn't creates any problem and you can make the navigation work in the foreground even if you attend calls.

Presently i'm using only Google Nexus S with a Fully charged spare battery and Keeping MMI as a standby for Navigation .
Thanks for the Info Wildon. Yeah. Currently even i have the same data plan and use the Google maps on my HTC desire the same way you have explained. So basically, the MMI for phones is no good when compared to its cheaper alternative.

The new feature in Google maps of storing tiles of a particular area is wonderful. It has a 10km range too Guess i just need to wait and get the MMI on my Touch Screen HU in the car after the prices come down
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 01:47   #79
BHPian

Hello everyone.. I have never used a GPS during my time in Blore/Chennai but now am in the NCR and feel the need for a navigation system as am totally new and my Hindi is pretty non-existent (so cant ask people for directions and usually end up understanding things differently and going elsewhere )

So would like your suggestion on a navigation solution..Would a MMI Road Pilot II or something similar be good or are there any navigation apps I can download and use in a Blackberry. I tried using Google maps on BB but then it takes quite a while to get a fix and the user interface is not all that user friendly. If there are any other apps, I'd be glad to try it or if a MMI device is worth it, then I'd go for that. My usage would be primarily getting to places in the NCR and occasional road trips to nearby places of interest. Appreciate your recommendations. Thanks much.
Nimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 09:44   #80
BHPian

Got the Vx240 from MMI on the 1st and did a nice long trip for over 1700km. Not once did we ever have to ask for directions. Awesome product! The features of the POI's was great.
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 10:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Battery : MMI wins hands down as my Nexus S gives overheating Alert. battery wont last in Nexus S even if you put on charge.Keep a fully charged spare battery if you want to use the phone after the Navigation.
I suggest you buy a USB car charger. I have a dual USB charger & I can connect both the GPS & phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Not once did we ever have to ask for directions. Awesome product! The features of the POI's was great.
Same too. I have hardly asked for directions. And when I asked it was just to confirm the GPS. In city, I stick to the roads I know. But with GPS, I have discovered some unknown bylanes and I don't hesitate to take a road with the knowledge that GPS will re-route if I am wrong.

Regarding POIs, I think there is scope for improvement. Right now I can't distinguish between a road side eatery & a decent eating place.

Last edited by msdivy : 12th October 2011 at 10:14.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 18:09   #82
BHPian

I have been using MMI maps on a chinese car GPS for some time now. The version i have is 6.0 and my observation was that the maps have been disappointing to say the least in kerala. However, the road coverage was good enough to acceptable levels in Goa. Now, i am contemplating changing/ upgrading my software. Anyone here have any suggestions for the best maps in kerala?

Also, i would like to learn from the wisdom of better informed people about the new 'carpad' tablet which was launched by MMI recently
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 23:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
I suggest you buy a USB car charger. I have a dual USB charger & I can connect both the GPS & phone.Same too.
I do use one.the problem is nexus s gives overheat alert when you use the navigation for couple of hours continuously and stop charging.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 23:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse me for this slightly OT post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon

I do use one.the problem is nexus s gives overheat alert when you use the navigation for couple of hours continuously and stop charging.
The same thing happens with my LG Optimus One. Particularly when the phone is on the dock, exposed to the sunlight. The moment I sense that the phone is getting overheated, I expose my phone to the AC vent and the temperature comes down within a couple of seconds. Then the phone starts working perfectly normal.

You may call me stupid, I know. But this thing works for me, at least.
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 23:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

The suction mount is placed on the front wind shield and my i20 a/c vent cannot be directed to the front wind shield.

It can easily redirect in swift/dzire

Last edited by wildon : 12th October 2011 at 23:39.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 10:23   #86
BHPian

I just bought a VX 140s and am very happy with the maps and directions. The blue tooth connects with a breeze and works fine. I have only one problem, the battery life is too short 40 mins after full charge. Is this normal or should I wait for a couple of charge cycles?

Can anyone confirm if its the same for all MMI devices.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:36   #87
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have only one problem, the battery life is too short 40 mins after full charge. Is this normal or should I wait for a couple of charge cycles?
My MMI Lx130's battery life is about 1 hour or so.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 15:01   #88
BHPian

Hi, Picked up a MMI Vx140s recently and trying to see if I can load the routes which I came up in Google Maps. I now have the route in KML format/ extension.

Is there a way I can have this file copied to MMI Vx140s navigator?

Any help on this matter would be great.
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 15:29   #89
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Is there a way I can have this file copied to MMI Vx140s navigator?
It is not possible to do so in my MMI Lx130 navigator. I have to manually add via points and POI to change the default route.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 16:03   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
It is not possible to do so in my MMI Lx130 navigator. I have to manually add via points and POI to change the default route.
Oh. That's going to be difficult and I have to sit somewhere outside the building & map everything for good 2300+ kms which should take a good couple of hours (since I will be deviating from the highways in many locations). Not sure why they don't allow such small things and I guess this is doable in other GPS devices like Garmin.
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote