Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th September 2011, 07:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Front + Rear proximity sensor recommendations?

Folks,

I've been trying to source a parking sensor setup that has 2 front, 4 rear sensors. I've only found Blackcat and RD (anyone heard of them? Reliance is selling their products!) both for 4500.

Just want some gyan from folks on:
a. the recommended brands which deal in this 2+4 sensor setup
b. The problem here is small pavement size stones which demarcate our underground parking. They are about 10-12" tall and so can damage the bumper - can such a sensor setup recognize them?
c. Does the sensor have a disable switch? In bumper to bumper traffic, I don't want to be beeped every second by the device.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Front + Rear proximity sensor recommendations?

I have Blackcat fitted in my ANHC; don't know the price though. It was included in the invoice. I have 4 for the back; none for the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
b. The problem here is small pavement size stones which demarcate our underground parking. They are about 10-12" tall and so can damage the bumper - can such a sensor setup recognize them?
In my parking area, there are the 1/4 feet blocks that demarcate the parking area; the sensors don't pick them up. They do pick up bushes though!

I think any object that comes reasonably well up to slightly less than the height of the sensors is picked up; don't have concrete data for it though.

Quote:
c. Does the sensor have a disable switch? In bumper to bumper traffic, I don't want to be beeped every second by the device.
No disable switch; they will beep; at least for the rear ones.

From my personal experience, I haven't found reverse sensors to be a good value addition; I don't trust them completely yet. Reverse camera makes sense.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have Blackcat fitted in my ANHC; don't know the price though. It was included in the invoice. I have 4 for the back; none for the front.

In my parking area, there are the 1/4 feet blocks that demarcate the parking area; the sensors don't pick them up. They do pick up bushes though!

I think any object that comes reasonably well up to slightly less than the height of the sensors is picked up; don't have concrete data for it though.

No disable switch; they will beep; at least for the rear ones.

From my personal experience, I haven't found reverse sensors to be a good value addition; I don't trust them completely yet. Reverse camera makes sense.
Shouldn't be the parking sensors on rear side of car come alive when you put reverse gear? i don't see the use of beeping them always except annoyance. front sensors make sense only if they come with some switch to turn them off/on.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Shouldn't be the parking sensors on rear side of car come alive when you put reverse gear? i don't see the use of beeping them always except annoyance. front sensors make sense only if they come with some switch to turn them off/on.
Obviously! The reverse sensors come on only when the reverse gear is engaged. What I meant was, there is no way to switch the beep off.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

RD has a model which has a switch to stop the sound.
Try Xenos Revese/Front sensors. It's good for more than 2 years in my car.
aks_karthik is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Obviously! The reverse sensors come on only when the reverse gear is engaged. What I meant was, there is no way to switch the beep off.
Quote:
Folks,

c. Does the sensor have a disable switch? In bumper to bumper traffic, I don't want to be beeped every second by the device.!
Sorry, i got confused with the question above from phamilyman and you answer to it. so, i guess phamilyman, you are asking about only front sensors to have a switch?!
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I've been trying to source a parking sensor setup that has 2 front, 4 rear sensors. I've only found Blackcat and RD (anyone heard of them? Reliance is selling their products!) both for 4500.

I've installed 4 sensor device for Innova for 2500/- from nandi. Dont remember the brand, but I can check. Find it pretty useful. It does detect something closer to the bumper, even bushes. Yes, if the pavement is 1' high, it does beep. But sometimes I prefer it not to beep though, for such pavements!

There is no option of switching it off - you shouldnt really do that. Its active only when reverse gear is engaged. Then you better have it beeping. Also, it beeps only if the distance to object is less than about 0.5 metre, and it progressively increases (not in volume). Continously beeps when it is about 0.1 meter or so.

Initially, I also thought that I should have front sensors, but after 2-3 days of driving, I never felt the need for front sensors. Probably you also will not need front sensors. Any specific reason you need the front ones? Parking in a tight garage?

Which car are you aiming for fixing these sensors?
samm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:45   #8
BHPian

If the question here is of tight parking. I think a reverse camera would make more sense that a sensor.

Any reason you are not looking at this option? Cost?
mac187 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 11:24   #9
BHPian

Hi Phamilyman,
I got the RDmake TF 990 model installed in my Manza for Rs. 4.4k, including installation. PFA the broucher for your reference. I scouted for Xenos too. But didn't find the features as in this.

It's a 2 front 4 rear sensors model with voice indication of the distance. There is a voice control switch to mute the sound if you find it irritating. The distance can be seen on the IRVM with LH and RH indication. The IRVM is wide enough and gives me a very good rear view.
Found them very satisying( Touch wood). Front ones in addition to the rear sensors, are very useful to negotiate in tight parking areas.
I hardly feel the bulkyness of Manza with this parking assitance, after driving M800 earlier.
The rear ones sense almost above 15cms high obstacles. Luckily the G.C is 165mm.They also sense the grass and bushes in that height. I will again re check if the objects placed below 15cms are sensed or not and come back to you.

Now, to get further down, I feel you can install the rear sensors below the height mentioned ( It was around 180 mm from the ground in my case, I guess, need to check the installation manual).

The installation took around 4 hrs as the wiring has to be done right from the front bumper to the rear. The Control unit is placed over the rear RH wheel arch by acessing from the boot.

You need to get an expert for doing a neat job with the wiring. The guy from RD only does connections. Hence, you to rely on your mechanic/ Accessories guy for routing the wiring.

Also, this was referred by our fellow Bhpian Sridhar K.

Hope this helps you to some extent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RD Parking aids.pdf (2.91 MB, 1793 views)

Last edited by Maverick79 : 7th September 2011 at 11:47.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 11:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
If the question here is of tight parking. I think a reverse camera would make more sense that a sensor.
Reverse camera is handy, but I would still recommend sensors also. I have tried both options.

1.With Reverse camera only
Some blind spots remain and it is much more difficult, as you focus only the line of sight visible in the LCD screen and ignore surroundings. I recently brushed left reverse quater panel, as the protuding stone pillar was in blind spot.

2. With Reverse Sensors only
I feel more confident. Tried this setup for last 2 yrs no issues, no scratches.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Have heard about RD in Cochin and they are recommended by many shops. IMO why don't you try a combination of Reverse camera and sensors. It might cost you in range of 10K. Regarding front sensors it is best to not install them, it is really a nuisance in bumper to bumper traffic.
Vasuki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you've already got a long list. Going by my earlier experience with RD's central locking (in a Zen that I had a few years ago), things used to go wrong quite frequently, though their service chap used to come home to fix it. Reliability is not an RD forte unless things have changed recently.
Quote:
Can be, depending on the level where you install them. The sensors have a limited zone of sensing, and it would be best to mount them about 16"-18" off the ground to enable them to sense the kind of obstacles you are talking about.
Quote:
Such a switch will have to be separately wired into the beeper/buzzer circuit, but usually front sensors only activate the LEDs initially and buzz continuously if you get closer than 12". Again this'll depend on the model you buy. Turn off the buzzer & and forget about it, and bump into an obstacle when you reverse blind the next time!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

camera or sensor, itll be connected with the backing-up lamp.
Get a switch somewhere in your drivers seat proximity, and you can turn it, and sound on/off as you wish.
Or are you just looking to turn off the sound?

The guy who did my rear view camera offered me this, but i declined.
Said he can do the same for sensors, if i buy it from him.
"when madam drives, she can avoid scrapes in traffic, she can see the distance, no beep beep!".
lucky for him, "madam" was out of earshot.

Last edited by mayankk : 7th September 2011 at 12:08.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Front + Rear proximity sensor recommendations?

@Phamilyman,

Does your HU support the rear view camera? If it does then the best option would be to go for the camera instead of sensors. If you are going to opt for the rear sensors of beep types then I guess you will have to live with those irritating beeps in b2b traffic. If not then go for the sensors with IVRM option. However this would then sit on the OEM IVRM.

BTW what car do you have, have you tried sourcing it from the accessories dept of your car dealer?
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 21:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Front + Rear proximity sensor recommendations?

Quote:
Absolutely bang on. I meant front sensors only esp since my part of town has regular half hour jams in the morning. Jam + Beeping sensor = Beeping violence on the sensor then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
RD has a model which has a switch to stop the sound.
Try Xenos Revese/Front sensors. It's good for more than 2 years in my car.
Thanks. Xenos and Blackcat are two brands I sort of trust, though Autocop I'd blindly install but no one has it!

Quote:
Sorry, i got confused with the question above from phamilyman and you answer to it. so, i guess phamilyman, you are asking about only front sensors to have a switch?!
Yes yes yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
I've installed 4 sensor device for Innova for 2500/- from nandi. Dont remember the brand, but I can check. Find it pretty useful. It does detect something closer to the bumper, even bushes. Yes, if the pavement is 1' high, it does beep. But sometimes I prefer it not to beep though, for such pavements!

There is no option of switching it off - you shouldnt really do that. Its active only when reverse gear is engaged. Then you better have it beeping. Also, it beeps only if the distance to object is less than about 0.5 metre, and it progressively increases (not in volume). Continously beeps when it is about 0.1 meter or so.

Initially, I also thought that I should have front sensors, but after 2-3 days of driving, I never felt the need for front sensors. Probably you also will not need front sensors. Any specific reason you need the front ones? Parking in a tight garage?

Which car are you aiming for fixing these sensors?
Swift - I want front sensors because the underground parking space would sometimes be parked nose in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post

Any reason you are not looking at this option? Cost?
Because it has blind spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, you've already got a long list. Going by my earlier experience with RD's central locking (in a Zen that I had a few years ago), things used to go wrong quite frequently, though their service chap used to come home to fix it. Reliability is not an RD forte unless things have changed recently.

Can be, depending on the level where you install them. The sensors have a limited zone of sensing, and it would be best to mount them about 16"-18" off the ground to enable them to sense the kind of obstacles you are talking about.

Such a switch will have to be separately wired into the beeper/buzzer circuit, but usually front sensors only activate the LEDs initially and buzz continuously if you get closer than 12". Again this'll depend on the model you buy. Turn off the buzzer & and forget about it, and bump into an obstacle when you reverse blind the next time!
There goes RD to consider!

I got your point on the buzzer - but i need to avoid it running in the daily half hour traffic jams on Sohna road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
camera or sensor, itll be connected with the backing-up lamp.
Get a switch somewhere in your drivers seat proximity, and you can turn it, and sound on/off as you wish.
Or are you just looking to turn off the sound?

The guy who did my rear view camera offered me this, but i declined.
Said he can do the same for sensors, if i buy it from him.
"when madam drives, she can avoid scrapes in traffic, she can see the distance, no beep beep!".
lucky for him, "madam" was out of earshot.
ROTFL man. I want exactly that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Phamilyman,

Does your HU support the rear view camera? If it does then the best option would be to go for the camera instead of sensors. If you are going to opt for the rear sensors of beep types then I guess you will have to live with those irritating beeps in b2b traffic. If not then go for the sensors with IVRM option. However this would then sit on the OEM IVRM.

BTW what car do you have, have you tried sourcing it from the accessories dept of your car dealer?
My el cheapo HU doesn't support reverse camera option. I tried with the dealer - they only have the reverse sensor option!

My line of thought is exactly like the Vasuki suggestion (thanks man!).

But still confused on the good brand - only one clear recommednation for Xenos. RD = +1/-1. hmmm
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote