Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 29th September 2011, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vento TDI Highline ICE'd

Amey, awesome installation! Nothing OTT in that. A demo would be great. You coming to the brekky meet right?

What was the damage? (Money-wise)
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Excellent equiment and excellent install is all I can think from the pics.

Congrats Amey...
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:06   #18
BHPian

Very well done installation, there is absolutely no proof apart from the head unit that the unit is after market. Good job Amey !
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 08:39   #19
BHPian

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Amey, awesome installation! Nothing OTT in that. A demo would be great. You coming to the brekky meet right?

What was the damage? (Money-wise)
Thanks Swanand.
Yes I am coming for the breakfast meet on Sunday.
I had most of the equipment already (removed from my swift) but if we are to take the original purchase cost into consideration then here is the breakup,

Pioneer Premier P80 RS-II Headunit - 20k
Illusion Audio Carbon ND8 8" Midbass drivers - 32k (it was a component set with tweeters and Xovers but I am not using the tweeters and Xovers.)
Illusion Audio CH-1 compression horns - 50k
Illusion Audio Electra EL62 Co-Ax rear fills - 5k
Steg K Series K4.01 4-Ch Amp powering the midbass and horns (Active) - 60k
Ground Zero Uranium Series 1000W Mono powering the subwoofer. - 32k
Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" Sub (This is the only new component in this setup.It replaced my earlier Ground Zero Radioactive 12" Sub) - 40k

Installation+cabling = ~ 15-20k

Last edited by Amey : 30th September 2011 at 08:44.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:06   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Illusion Audio Carbon ND8 8" Midbass drivers - 32k (it was a component set with tweeters and Xovers but I am not using the tweeters and Xovers.)
Illusion Audio CH-1 compression horns - 50k
Illusion Audio Electra EL62 Co-Ax rear fills - 5k
How low can the CH-1s go? 1kHz? Do you get any beaming pushing the 8" woofer to 1kHz?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 13:19   #21
BHPian

That is a nice setup Amey and congratulations. The Sub also looks nice. One question though: How does the Sub sound? Does it have a deep sharp kick or it flows?
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 21:00   #22
BHPian

Hi All,

Apologies if I sound stupid but I have a few questions on Horns.

* Recently I have seen many ICE setup with Horns and in all the pics I have seen, the Horn Is mounted below the dash (I know its almost impossible to mount it on A-pillar!!) but how does this affect the sound stage, it would look as though the sound is coming from below. If so how does "proper tuning" mitigate this? What are the tuning steps involved?

* Horns are much more sensitive (I think CH-1 is 106db) than normal speakers, so how do we compensate for this by just using just two mid-range (woofers). Is there any tweeter attn or something else?

* Is it worth the money spend on Horns (I know I am opening up a major point of Debate here) in a small and leaky environment like car cabin.

PS: I haven't experienced Horn drivers first hand, but would love to know from users/experts in this forum.

Thanks,
Venki

Note to Mods: If this is not the appropriate thread to post this question, please move this to the correct thread.
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 17:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
How low can the CH-1s go? 1kHz? Do you get any beaming pushing the 8" woofer to 1kHz?
Please speak to Amey in English yaar. I'm sure he understood absolutely nothing in your post.

The crossover is set to 1.2kHz, 12dB. Maybe there is some beaming, hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
* Recently I have seen many ICE setup with Horns and in all the pics I have seen, the Horn Is mounted below the dash (I know its almost impossible to mount it on A-pillar!!) but how does this affect the sound stage, it would look as though the sound is coming from below. If so how does "proper tuning" mitigate this? What are the tuning steps involved?
It would be ideal to have them at ear level. But since that's impossible in all cars, the next best thing to do is to mount them such that they use the dash above them as an extension of the horn.

Quote:
* Horns are much more sensitive (I think CH-1 is 106db) than normal speakers, so how do we compensate for this by just using just two mid-range (woofers). Is there any tweeter attn or something else?
The fronts are running active. That way the power to each section can be varied. Plus the horns are 8 ohms, so the power output of the amp is anyway halved.

Quote:
* Is it worth the money spend on Horns (I know I am opening up a major point of Debate here) in a small and leaky environment like car cabin.
Whether or not to spend an arm and a leg on a car audio system itself is a debatable topic.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 17:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It would be ideal to have them at ear level. But since that's impossible in all cars, the next best thing to do is to mount them such that they use the dash above them as an extension of the horn.
Thanks very much for the gyan B&T. Coming back to horn placement if the idea is to make the dash as part of horn, would it be better to place it above the dash since the shape enclosed between dash and windshield would naturally be conical (I know it would look wired unless we make a custom FG enclosure around the horn).

Quote:
The fronts are running active. That way the power to each section can be varied. Plus the horns are 8 ohms, so the power output of the amp is anyway halved.
So we can potentially use a low power amp to drive the horns rather than using the amp which drives the mids (say 5-10w) provided we can find one.

Quote:
Whether or not to spend an arm and a leg on a car audio system itself is a debatable topic.
That is a good one .
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 20:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much for the gyan B&T. Coming back to horn placement if the idea is to make the dash as part of horn, would it be better to place it above the dash since the shape enclosed between dash and windshield would naturally be conical (I know it would look wired unless we make a custom FG enclosure around the horn).
Yes, that would be great. Except that leaves us with the problem of how to drive the car without the instrument cluster. Unless its a Nano.

Quote:
So we can potentially use a low power amp to drive the horns rather than using the amp which drives the mids (say 5-10w) provided we can find one.
Yes, very little power is fine. You could also run it off the head unit's speaker output if the head can be set to output only the desired frequency band, or with a passive crossover.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Please speak to Amey in English yaar. I'm sure he understood absolutely nothing in your post.

The crossover is set to 1.2kHz, 12dB. Maybe there is some beaming, hard to tell.
Second that
I don't understand all these technical terminologies Sir.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:06   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Well, well well. We had the privilege to get an audition of the system this morning during our Tapri meet. I have been in many gigs, open air live rock performances, western and classical concerts and I must say that this system comes as close as possible to live music. The notes are extremely tight and crisp and the sound is balanced and equalized to the optimum. Frankly, I have not heard mids and highs are good as these, ever. Bass is tuned to accentuate the sound, not to overpower. But make no mistake, there is enough bass to take the pants off. It would take a lot to get any closer or any better than this. Kudos to the designer (Amey) who got all the system together and the installer too!

Last edited by dot : 2nd October 2011 at 12:08.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Well, well well. We had the privilege to get an audition of the system this morning during our Tapri meet. I have been in many gigs, open air live rock performances, western and classical concerts and I must say that this system comes as close as possible to live music. The notes are extremely tight and crisp and the sound is balanced and equalized to the optimum. Frankly, I have not heard mids and highs are good as these, ever. Bass is tuned to accentuate the sound, not to overpower. But make no mistake, there is enough bass to take the pants off. It would take a lot to get any closer or any better than this. Kudos to the designer (Amey) who got all the system together and the installer too!
A small correction dot, I am not the designer of this setup. The entire credit goes to Bass&Trouble for the designing and execution of this setup.
It was he who helped me in getting hold of such nice equipment.
My contribution in this setup is telling B&T my requirements precisely.Then it's over to him and boy is he good at that!
The execution, no doubt is brilliant but what makes his setups sound so good is his magical tuning touch. God alone knows how he does it but its simply awesome.
Anyway, I am glad you liked the setup.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:52   #29
BHPian

Sir. Loved your setup. Would have loved to hear the audio setup in your car and get some ideas. Unfortunately I could not make it to the Tapri meet. Hence the only option is to wait !

I would also like to tune up the audio setup in my car too. Though I do not understand the technical terminologies of the audio world, so would require some professional to help me tune up or advice me to upgrade.

Equipment list as of now:
Kenwood Double din
Inifinity Components - Front
Inifinity Components - Rear
Sony Xplod Amp - 2 way (I know its under powered)
Helix bass tube

Help Needed
mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Some of the Pro 8" drivers (BMS, Beyma, 18Sound, PHL, Eminence, Tannoy, Ciare etc..) dont sound like they beam as much as commercial home/car audio woofers.

As long as the arm or leg is not your own I dont see any problem!

Quote:
Sure but most low powered amps are not of high quality (not including SE tube amps and other esoterics in this statement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
advice me to upgrade.

Equipment list as of now:
Kenwood Double din
Inifinity Components - Front
Inifinity Components - Rear
Sony Xplod Amp - 2 way (I know its under powered)
Helix bass tube

Help Needed
To start with
1. Get some Time Alignment
2. Get better amps
3. Get some damping done
navin is offline   Reply With Quote