Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th September 2011, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Question Stock Honda Civic HU. Volume drops to zero while driving!

Hello, a friend of mine is facing a peculiar issue with his 2010 Honda Civic. (stock head unit, speakers are components). While driving the volume will automatically decrease to zero. The system then needs to be powered off and powered on again and it works fine for the next 35 to 40 minutes. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Moderator's please help shift thread if this is not the right space for discussion. Thanks.
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 14:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Car Audio Issue Honda Civic 2010

May I suggest you spend some time in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-162.html You are very likely to find what you seek.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 16:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Stock Honda Civic HU. Volume drops to zero while driving!

Vaguely remember GTO facing a similar kinda issue with his Civic's ICE. Take a look at this exhaustive thread. Hope it helps!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...lved-steg.html
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:22   #4
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
Hello, a friend of mine is facing a peculiar issue with his 2010 Honda Civic. (stock head unit, speakers are components). While driving the volume will automatically decrease to zero. The system then needs to be powered off and powered on again and it works fine for the next 35 to 40 minutes. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Moderator's please help shift thread if this is not the right space for discussion. Thanks.
Could be a faulty ground issue. I dont think it is the issue GTO and others faced as that was due to high load of their amps. This Civic does not seem to have an amp. Shelleve, do check for such discussions on the thread link that sgiitk has posted. Hope it helps.

Last edited by dot : 26th September 2011 at 21:25.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

GTO had a problem with his amps, and they were replaced. @shelleve does not seem to have any amps - it is just the OE system.

The likely issues would be either overheating of the OE HU, or an internal fault that needs resetting to work again. Ask the Honda service guys to look at it, IF it is in warranty.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 21:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
I believe the stock HU has an auto volume levelling based on the vehicle speed. Turn the feature OFF to see if there is any difference.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 22:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

it had happened to me.. ask your friend if he had applied sun film on the wind screen lately? I am asking this because, I did the last time, and water got drained inside the dashboard, and that's when it started for me... the volume would automatically iterate to the max, the tracks will change on its own too. Try using a hot blower over the ICU area or roast the car in the sun for few hours..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 22:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

The main reason is Check your Remote control which is inside the center armrest the volume button might have some carbon or some liquid might have spilled over the controller

There is no such option as automatic lower down volumes at high speeds in a civic.its just an ordinary headunit.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 23:40   #9
BHPian

Thank you all for your responses. We contacted Honda and apparently this was their first too. Thanks Ramie - The rear arm rest does have a volume control and i feel that may be the main issue. Thanks ITNerd, I will check the sun film part as well. I will repost here if this issue is solved so others do not face the same issue. Moderators please feel free to close this thread. Perhaps we can add the solution i find to this issue sometime later. Once again thank you all for your help.
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote