Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th October 2011, 01:05   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Fine-tuning my Hyundai i20's ICE setup

Urgent advice needed regarding ICE upgrade in i20 asta. Got installed the following things already -
1) Infinity reference 6530cs front components
2) JBL BassPro12 slipstream with integrated class D amp

Major problem with this setup is brighter base as my midbass and tweeters probably are not getting enough power from the HU. Thought about putting a 4 channel amp ( after changing the rear coax speakers ), but as the HU doesn't have pre-amp outputs I have to first put a line level adapter and connect an amp.

Now I need advice on the following points -
1) Is it a good idea to put a line level adapter keeping SQ in mind ?
2) Instead of putting an adapter , can I get any sound processor in a budget of 10K which accepts line level inputs , so that I can put the amp from the processor output?

Another possibility I thought of is changing the HU to a pioneer AVC or equivalent unit. But I am being put-off from this idea for couple of reasons -
-> The available steering control adapters for pioneer,JVC,kenwood doesn't support the steering mounted phone buttons.
-> To put any HU , I need to buy a seperate plastic pannel which costs 3k .

Please help me in deciding the next step.
worldcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 10:33   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Help needed! Modifying my i20 asta ICE

Gurus , please advice.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you are driving the speakers from the HU, you have very limited capability available to tune your setup. Adding a 4 channel amp (don't worry, line converters do not degrade SQ at that level; just pick a decent one) will provide you that ability to tune the output well. There are even amps that accept line level output from HU, without needing converters externally.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There are even amps that accept line level output from HU, without needing converters externally.
I think you mean speaker level outputs.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 13:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are driving the speakers from the HU, you have very limited capability available to tune your setup. Adding a 4 channel amp (don't worry, line converters do not degrade SQ at that level; just pick a decent one) will provide you that ability to tune the output well. There are even amps that accept line level output from HU, without needing converters externally.
Thanks a lot for your response. Can you please let me know some good options in line level adapter or the amps which accepts speaker level inputs?

Navin, thanks for joining in.

Is there any sound processor which accepts speaker level inputs in the budget of 10k? Please give me some choice.

Last edited by worldcrawler : 5th October 2011 at 13:18.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Thanks a lot for your response. Can you please let me know some good options in line level adapter or the amps which accepts speaker level inputs?

Is there any sound processor which accepts speaker level inputs in the budget of 10k? Please give me some choice.
Line level adapter - Scosche.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 17:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think you mean speaker level outputs.
Yes, Navin, speaker level - not 400mV line level!!!

@worldcrawler: Kenwood KAC8405, Pio GM6400F, Alpine MRP-F250, ...
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 17:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes there is one you can get it and control/tune the sound quality in extreme details
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 19:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Navin, speaker level - not 400mV line level!!!

@worldcrawler: Kenwood KAC8405, Pio GM6400F, Alpine MRP-F250, ...
Thanks a lot. I will check them out tomorrow and confirm.

Ramie, please share the details about brand and model.Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:32   #10
BHPian

@worldcrawler: You need something like this..
1. For more than 4-ch amplifier
2. For 2-ch amplifier

BTW these are called speaker level converters or Line output converters.
rsjaurr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 21:53   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Fine-tuning my Hyundai i20's ICE setup

I am in a similar situation and have just purchased a Hyundai I20 Asta Petrol (Sun roof model).

I want to upgrade the audio of the car without changing the OEM Head Unit. My brother handed me these old Nakamichi speakers Nakamichi S403 01550 (Front) and Nakamichi S404 02127 (Rear). I wanted to use them and was thinking of buying a good amplifier too.

I think I will go with either of the ones suggested by DerAlte (Kenwood KAC8405, Pioneer GM6400F, Alpine MRP-F250). Will this setup work properly? Also do I need a sub woofer or bass tube or anything else for this setup?
maverick145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
@worldcrawler: You need something like this..
1. For more than 4-ch amplifier
2. For 2-ch amplifier

BTW these are called speaker level converters or Line output converters.
Thanks a lot rsjaurr. I got a Scosche 4 channel converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I am in a similar situation and have just purchased a Hyundai I20 Asta Petrol (Sun roof model).

I want to upgrade the audio of the car without changing the OEM Head Unit. My brother handed me these old Nakamichi speakers Nakamichi S403 01550 (Front) and Nakamichi S404 02127 (Rear). I wanted to use them and was thinking of buying a good amplifier too.

I think I will go with either of the ones suggested by DerAlte (Kenwood KAC8405, Pioneer GM6400F, Alpine MRP-F250). Will this setup work properly? Also do I need a sub woofer or bass tube or anything else for this setup?
maverick, The amplifiers mentioned above are more expensive than regular amplifiers ( a 2 channel Alpine F series - F300 amp which accepts speaker level input costs as much as 14k ). You can buy a hi-lo converter and use a regular 4 channel amp. Sub is not a must for the setup , you can do without the sub , but to get decent amount of base , you need a sub to complete the setup.

For the help of i20 owners who wants to change their ICE ( without changing the head unit ) , this is a low cost setup which is decent enough ( if you are not an audiophile ) -

Front Components - Infinity ref 6530 cs - rs. 6500
Rear Co-axial - Infinity ref 6532 i - rs. 4000
Active Subwoofer - JBL GT BassPro 12 - rs. 14000
4 Channel Amp - JBL GTX 646 - rs. 6500
Hi-Lo converter - Scosche - rs. 3500
Cables ( sub and amp ) - Scosche - rs 4500
Sound damping(front) - Dynamat Extreme - rs 3500

In case if you have any specific question , please let me know.
worldcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 00:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot rsjaurr. I got a Scosche 4 channel converter.

maverick, The amplifiers mentioned above are more expensive than regular amplifiers ( a 2 channel Alpine F series - F300 amp which accepts speaker level input costs as much as 14k ). You can buy a hi-lo converter and use a regular 4 channel amp. Sub is not a must for the setup , you can do without the sub , but to get decent amount of base , you need a sub to complete the setup.

For the help of i20 owners who wants to change their ICE ( without changing the head unit ) , this is a low cost setup which is decent enough ( if you are not an audiophile ) -

Front Components - Infinity ref 6530 cs - rs. 6500
Rear Co-axial - Infinity ref 6532 i - rs. 4000
Active Subwoofer - JBL GT BassPro 12 - rs. 14000
4 Channel Amp - JBL GTX 646 - rs. 6500
Hi-Lo converter - Scosche - rs. 3500
Cables ( sub and amp ) - Scosche - rs 4500
Sound damping(front) - Dynamat Extreme - rs 3500

In case if you have any specific question , please let me know.
Thanks mate for the detailed setup. Are you using the same setup in your ride? I am just finding the the JBL GT BassPro 12 Subwoofer to be out of my budget as of now. I will try using an old Helix Basstube (will check and post the model number) that I have and see.

Also, how are Rockford Fosgate Hi-Lo converters? Scosche also seems to be a bit expensive.

And is the sound dampening really required or can be skipped? I will have a tough time finding a good dealer here who can do it for me actually. Its very hard to source quality components and find trained people in my city.
maverick145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 01:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Thanks mate for the detailed setup. Are you using the same setup in your ride? I am just finding the the JBL GT BassPro 12 Subwoofer to be out of my budget as of now. I will try using an old Helix Basstube (will check and post the model number) that I have and see.

Also, how are Rockford Fosgate Hi-Lo converters? Scosche also seems to be a bit expensive.

And is the sound dampening really required or can be skipped? I will have a tough time finding a good dealer here who can do it for me actually. Its very hard to source quality components and find trained people in my city.
Yes , it's the setup which I have in my car.

As I mentioned earlier , Subwoofer itself is not a mandate if you have good quality speakers and not a fan of thumping base. But still for certain kind of music you need more base. If you already have a basstube , no need to buy a new one. BassPro is priced a bit high maybe as it comes with a class D amp inbuilt , so no need need to buy a seperate monoblock to drive this. Depeding on the model you have , you may need to invest in a monoblock amp if you want to use the existing sub.

Going by brand name Rockford Fosgate converter should be good enough although I don't have any first hand experience. May be Gurus can throw some light on this.

You can skip the sound damping now as i20 has better fit and quality of door plastic pannels. As long as you listen to music with sane volume level, you don't need to use damping as the pannel vibration will be well under control.

Please let me know if you want to know anything specific about i20 setup or connections. I will try to post pictures if you need any help in installation.

Last edited by worldcrawler : 25th October 2011 at 01:16.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:45   #15
BHPian

Hello there friends, I have recently bought a new HU, Blaupunkt Las Vegas 530, for my 2010 i20 asta. The stock one didn't have Bluetooth connectivity & I badly needed one. The best part is it comes with a provision to configure your steering mounted controls. I have volume up down, track changing, mute and source changing buttons on my steering and all of them work properly. I will post pictures later this weekend.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote