Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:34   #181
BHPian
 
Aniket6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
If you don't need a subwoofwr then you can consider adding pair of component speakers for front and rear and use a 4 channel amplifier to power them. You might need a hi-lo converter and your installer should be able to help you with that and quality wiring. Brands you can consider would depend on your music taste.
I was considering underseat subwoofer if they actually make a difference. I listen to trance music and old hindi songs a lot. Which are the preferred brands? Also, approx how much improved can I bring about without changing HU and within 50k?? atleast 50% better I am hoping.

Also, any idea which shop would do the best job? I was considering Sachin's auto shop or harmonixx, here in Bangalore.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 11:53   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I was considering underseat subwoofer if they actually make a difference. I listen to trance music and old hindi songs a lot. Which are the preferred brands? Also, approx how much improved can I bring about without changing HU and within 50k?? atleast 50% better I am hoping.

Also, any idea which shop would do the best job? I was considering Sachin's auto shop or harmonixx, here in Bangalore.
I get my installations at done evo. No idea about Sachin's auto shop.
Found Harmonixx's installation cost on the higher side although their installation looks top notch.
No idea about underseat subwoofers why dont you consider a 10' sub, you have quite a few options in terms of brands and will be using less boot space.
You can try dls I replaced my infinity kappas with them and they are a big improvement. Other brands are Focal,Rainbow and Morel.
With a decent set of components , amplifier and quality wiring the improvement in sound will be good but the major problem in case of oem headunit is lack of tuning options. If you want to retain the oem headunit and then you can think of adding a dsp but that would definitely add to your budget.

Last edited by soumen.blore : 22nd January 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Extra information
soumen.blore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 13:44   #183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I was considering underseat subwoofer if they actually make a difference. I listen to trance music and old hindi songs a lot. Which are the preferred brands? Also, approx how much improved can I bring about without changing HU and within 50k?? atleast 50% better I am hoping.

Also, any idea which shop would do the best job? I was considering Sachin's auto shop or harmonixx, here in Bangalore.
1. First up find the right guy to do the install: For me its TopGear - Anwar all the way. He is a Master of his art and best in Bangalore.

2. Underseat subs are not as effective as a proper sub. I tried it didn't please me at all. Try the shallow mount subs instead, they are much thinner and don't need the bulky box if you want a SQ setup.

3. Without the HU 50K would just about be ok. Talk to the shops and see who can get you the job done within your budget.

for % improvement not sure what you are comparing against and what you expect. Check some cheetahs that have gotten the upgrade and then go for the upgrade.

Best of luck.
pawanarya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 19:38   #184
BHPian
 
arun.kulkarni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Hello Fellow XUV owners

I got my new ride couple of months ago, its W6, Dolphin Grey.
I plan to upgrade ICE set-up on my car, i do not want anything too fancy and do not want to upgrade the HU, I worry about having problems to Bluetooth and other interferences. so what options do i have?
Will changing the current speakers to good pair of components (front and Rear) along with 4 channel amp do the trick? If yes which ones should i consider?

I do not have knowledge like audio guru's, but the kind of music i listen is Rock, Hip Hop and sometimes Bollywood. which set-up will give me maximum performance?

Thanks!
Arun
arun.kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 21:47   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
Hello Fellow XUV owners

I got my new ride couple of months ago, its W6, Dolphin Grey.
I plan to upgrade ICE set-up on my car, i do not want anything too fancy and do not want to upgrade the HU, I worry about having problems to Bluetooth and other interferences. so what options do i have?
Will changing the current speakers to good pair of components (front and Rear) along with 4 channel amp do the trick? If yes which ones should i consider?

I do not have knowledge like audio guru's, but the kind of music i listen is Rock, Hip Hop and sometimes Bollywood. which set-up will give me maximum performance?

Thanks!
Arun
It all depends on the budget you are looking at and what all is available in your city. You dont need to change HU, if you want real sound then just add sound processor. If thats over budget, then you can always add a pair of good comps in front, good coax in the rear doors and a sub in the boot. Take a 4 chl amp and run front comps with 2 chl and bridge rest 2 to run the sub. Let rear coax run as it is. This is the cheapest way to have good sounding XUV.
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 16:51   #186
BHPian
 
arun.kulkarni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
It all depends on the budget you are looking at and what all is available in your city. You dont need to change HU, if you want real sound then just add sound processor. If thats over budget, then you can always add a pair of good comps in front, good coax in the rear doors and a sub in the boot. Take a 4 chl amp and run front comps with 2 chl and bridge rest 2 to run the sub. Let rear coax run as it is. This is the cheapest way to have good sounding XUV.
Thanks Nitin

My Budget is around 25-30K, I dont want to have Sub (space constraint) so can i still get pair of good comp and Rear coax and then get 2 channel Amp? do you think it will increase the quality significantly or can do front and rear both Components and put in a 4 channel Amp? I can stretch the budget a little bit if i get better quality.
arun.kulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 18:09   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
Thanks Nitin

My Budget is around 25-30K, I dont want to have Sub (space constraint) so can i still get pair of good comp and Rear coax and then get 2 channel Amp? do you think it will increase the quality significantly or can do front and rear both Components and put in a 4 channel Amp? I can stretch the budget a little bit if i get better quality.
If its you who drives alone most of the time then you can just add comps in front and coax at back with 2chl amp. No need for spending money on another set of comps. Save that money and maybe later on you can add sub if you like.
nitinralli is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 17:20   #188
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Hi Guys, i have just purchased the beautiful xuv 500 w10 and i am completely blown away by the car however as you all know the sound output sucks. So I thought to read a bit and apply all that to my xuv but i failed miserably! I am no expert in ICE and i went to car raunaq in noida with the list of things in my mind to get installed, like:
Under seat subwoofer:
Blaupunkt xlf 200a (which the shopkeeper told me sucks and instead installed a kicker 10" shallow subwoofer)

Component speakers
Polk audio db6501(installed)

Amplifier
Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP (dealer said that it's bad, heard complaints abt it and instead installed a 750w pioneer 4 channel amp)

Now the thing is... Except subwoofer, everything sucks and terribly! My stock brio speakers sound much better, i have a hyundai accent and i got infinity cappa installed 6 years ago and then sound amazing! But these suckers on which i spent so much money are complete crap! No bass / no treble... Just loud vocals and that too the clarity is missing. I know the speakers are damn good and they sound much much better than what they do in my car, so on this what's the dealer explanation is:

1. The HU is under powered and even a dsp would not help
2. Since in the front channel the system's Bluetooth and reverse parking is connected, so i had to connect both front and rear speakers in the rear channel and subwoofer in the separate channel... So that is why the sound sucks! And it can't be improved.

So guys, I've spent a lot of money and i just can't agree to what the dealer is saying and infact I don't even buy half of what he is saying... So my humble request is to please help me in this matter and please suggest what can i do to improve the sound quality... Will be so thankful!
sukhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 14:37   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 622 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhish View Post
Hi Guys, i have just purchased the beautiful xuv 500 w10 and i am completely blown away by the car however as you all know the sound output sucks. So I thought to read a bit and apply all that to my xuv but i failed miserably! I am no expert in ICE and i went to car raunaq in noida with the list of things in my mind to get installed, like:
Under seat subwoofer:
Blaupunkt xlf 200a (which the shopkeeper told me sucks and instead installed a kicker 10" shallow subwoofer)

Component speakers
Polk audio db6501(installed)

Amplifier
Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP (dealer said that it's bad, heard complaints abt it and instead installed a 750w pioneer 4 channel amp)

Now the thing is... Except subwoofer, everything sucks and terribly! My stock brio speakers sound much better, i have a hyundai accent and i got infinity cappa installed 6 years ago and then sound amazing! But these suckers on which i spent so much money are complete crap! No bass / no treble... Just loud vocals and that too the clarity is missing. I know the speakers are damn good and they sound much much better than what they do in my car, so on this what's the dealer explanation is:

1. The HU is under powered and even a dsp would not help
2. Since in the front channel the system's Bluetooth and reverse parking is connected, so i had to connect both front and rear speakers in the rear channel and subwoofer in the separate channel... So that is why the sound sucks! And it can't be improved.

So guys, I've spent a lot of money and i just can't agree to what the dealer is saying and infact I don't even buy half of what he is saying... So my humble request is to please help me in this matter and please suggest what can i do to improve the sound quality... Will be so thankful!
First thing you need to do is give that noida guy a tight one under the ears.

He is all crap. Go to some other guy and get this fixed or if you can come to delhi, then you can go to Driven in East of kailash. Your guy has messed up the wiring as he have added all four speakers in rear channel, which is like. Also he is lying by saying that DSP wont work, again needs one under his ears

All the issue you reported can be solved. Infact they were created by this noida guy itself. Had it been any professional installer it wouldn't have happened.
nitinralli is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 20:45   #190
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
First thing you need to do is give that noida guy a tight one under the ears.

He is all crap. Go to some other guy and get this fixed or if you can come to delhi, then you can go to Driven in East of kailash. Your guy has messed up the wiring as he have added all four speakers in rear channel, which is like. Also he is lying by saying that DSP wont work, again needs one under his ears

All the issue you reported can be solved. Infact they were created by this noida guy itself. Had it been any professional installer it wouldn't have happened.
Thanks for your reply mate, and yeah I've got most of the issues sorted out and yes it finally it does sound as it should, as I've got all my four speakers from separate channels and got my subwoofer hooked up with a mono amp. Although i have this issue for which I was warned too, is the alert sounds... Like seatbelt & reverse parking sensor... They all are just too loud, anyways to fix that?
sukhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 14:51   #191
Newbie
 
jacob_inasu@gma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Hi Jacob, nice upgrade done. Please share the details of the alloy wheels. Where you got them and the cost

Hey were you able to procure the alloys?
jacob_inasu@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 21:30   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_inasu@gma View Post
Hey were you able to procure the alloys?
Nope did not get time to go for it, in the mean time, got the OEM W8 ones from a friend.
tirthankard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:58   #193
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 318
Thanked: 410 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_inasu@gma View Post
Thanks for the head up, will be careful not to open the doors for a long time during heavy rains. Just for my information and knowledge, has this happened to you? Or have you heard of such a thing happening to anyone before?

Though late, I guess this would help; The point mentioned here is, on a given rainy day, some amount of water seeps inside the door panels, basically from the gap between the door glass and the rubber beading. All the car doors would be made of two layers - the outer layer and inside layer. Most of the wiring and electronic components, if any, would be mounted on the inner layer and on it an 'interior layer' (plastic/fabric/leather) is places.

The water thats seeps in generally flows/slides on the inside part of the outer layer and drips out from two small holes (gaps) at the bottom of the door. This two gaps/holes would be present in all doors. Next time when you open your car door observe it.

You have placed the cushioning on the outside of the inter layer, generally water seepage would not happen to this area, and I guess you are safe
LoneRidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 16:09   #194
Newbie
 
jacob_inasu@gma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Though late, I guess this would help; The point mentioned here is, on a given rainy day, some amount of water seeps inside the door panels, basically from the gap between the door glass and the rubber beading.
================
You have placed the cushioning on the outside of the inter layer, generally water seepage would not happen to this area, and I guess you are safe
Thank you for that - makes absolute sense. Though the cushioning was unintentional - :-) just lucky i guess.
jacob_inasu@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 13:09   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 24
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.kulkarni View Post
Thanks Nitin

My Budget is around 25-30K, I dont want to have Sub (space constraint) so can i still get pair of good comp and Rear coax and then get 2 channel Amp? do you think it will increase the quality significantly or can do front and rear both Components and put in a 4 channel Amp? I can stretch the budget a little bit if i get better quality.
Hi Arun, can you share what you finally ended up installing, and how much was the damage to your pocket? I ask because I am also looking for an ICE Upgrade for my month old W6.

If fellow BHPians can suggest something that would be great. I listen to everything. Yes, quite literally everything - from Mandarin ballads, to Thumris, to American Country Music, to JS Bach, to Janelle Monae to Rabindra Sangeet to typical bollywood hits.

My requirement is very simple, the ICE should sound as close as possible to the way the composer intended the piece to sound. I am no audiophile, but I do tend to appreciate the little nuances that make a piece beautiful. If a section has deep baritone male vocals, my speakers/woofers should be able to render them crisply. Same for the mids and highs.

Total sound pressure (volume) is not priority, but the clarity is.

I would like to retain the original HU so as to not mess with Bluetooth, reverse camera etc. My budget would be around 30-40k.

Also can our Pune BHPians recommend a good place to get the work done? The dealer I bought the car from (Sahyadri Motors) is one option and I have a single good review from a co-worker. But I want to look at more options before finalizing.
RubberSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold! .anshuman Long-Term Ownership Reviews 243 12th October 2017 10:28
Mahindra XUV 500 - Moondust Silver - Loaded with chrome - first in Delhi Pankaj_Ahlawat Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 191 23rd March 2015 01:26
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks