Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th November 2016, 13:57   #211
BHPian

Default Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

My ICE on a BUDGET

Just wanted to share what I did which may help others who may be in a similar situation.

I already had a FOCAL SOLID 4 amp with me which I retrieved from my Fiesta - so that expenditure was saved

Requirement :

Clean, crisp sound with good sound staging and imaging
Minimal expenditure
Minimal removal of panels
Not to touch the Centre consol and HU at all
Minimum disruption to OE wiring

Thought about this for quite some time and made the following :

Instead of choosing components for all 4 doors OR choosing Components for front and Co-ax for rear doors, due to budget, i chose 4 x Rockford Fosgate Tri-axials at Rs. 3500 per pair for all 4 doors - Total Rs. 7000

Also mounted my earlier JL Audio Tweeters to the Front door sails as an addition to improve the imaging as they are fantastic tweeters. Wierd, probably, but..

Since this amplifier can take Line Level Inputs, WITHOUT touching the HU and centre consol, just tapped the speaker level inputs from all 4 doors and drew two lines to the amp - 1 for the input and the other one for the output back to the door

Connect all 4 speakers to the FRONT CHANNEL and now the amp see them as 2 Ohms load which is Ok for this amp as per specifications - NO FADING possible

Used a SPACER to mount the speakers and put a 1 foot x 1 foot Dampmat just behind the speaker magnets for minimal damping

Wires were neatly drawn through the door trims and Amplifier placed under the passenger front seat

Speaker wires, Power wire, fuses, installation, damp mat, spacer and all that costed me another Rs. 3000

Total Rs. 10000 for the installer and it sounded nice.

But, I wanted to complete the setup using a SUB WOOFER to take care of the low frequencies and anyway I have an amplifier and started the DIY last weekend. Again, budget was an issue.

Bought 2 x 6.5" DAINTY sub woofer drivers from Ritchie street for Rs. 1300 total. I chose this originally to squeeze it between the rear door and last row seat. But later decided to make a descent box which I have now put on top of the folded seats at the end. If this was the case, I could have gone for a 10" straight away, anyway, no regrets.

Made a rectangular box of 1 cu.ft volume without any dividers
Used 1/2 plywood cut to size - 2 pieces each, then FUSED them to make it 1" thick (had these plywood in my house, so no expenditure)
Lined up the sides and rear inside with FELT lining (had them earlier)
Bought a 6 feet x 1 meter Carpet (Rs. 300) and nicely covered the sub woofer enclosure
WIRED the sub woofers in SERIES to make it 4 Ohm load for the amp in BRIDGED mode
Man, it has become heavy due to 1" thick and absolutely solid
and it sounds FANTASTIC exactly as I like

TIGHT, CLEAN and sufficient low end to complete the dynamics. I may not need anything more that this

Even with this in the boot, i have sufficient space. This will only need to be removed from the car IF all 7 seats are occupied which is extremely rare for me. Removing is simply taking the wires off from the terminal.

My reference songs to ensure it works OK are below :
  • Jennifer Warnes "THE HUNTER" album - Song Way down DEEP, some serious low end loose vibrating bass
  • Eagles, Hotel California & Mark Knopfler "Private Investigation" songs to test the Sound Stage and the tighter bass respectively
  • Varanam Ayiram Tamil movie songs to test the other instruments and Vocals
and it came out to my satisfaction.

Hope it helps.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote