Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th March 2006, 00:58   #1
Question 2004 Zen: Rear speaker placement

I searched the forum but could not find anything related to this question i had:

I recently made the down-payment for a 2004 Zen LXI. The previous owner has fit a Pioneer music system with 2 front (on the front door panel) and 2 rear speakers. The quirky thing is that the rear speakers have been fit facing in-ward in the hatch-door (5th door) right behind the license plate! Now to questions:

1. Is this OK? Could be done to save boot space? BTW the rear parcel tray covers the boot and the speakers!!
2. Also the speaker are open to air. I am scared I may damage them when some luggage is kept in the boot and the hatch is shut. Is there any way I can cover them (they are 6x9 I think)?

Last edited by sansjunk : 8th March 2006 at 01:06.
sansjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 01:42   #2
Team-BHP Support
Arrow zen rear spkr

rear speaker placement has always a problem with hatchbacks.

with the 800, there was place to mount speakers on the sides of the trunk space instead of on the hatch itself but on the Zen - that is generally where they are placed.

the speakers will get a little mashed-in with luggage loaded in the trunk but make sure you have strongish grills - which'll help protect them from damage.

the only other option would be to place them in custom made boxes in the trunk area but that would reduce the already limited luggage area by a huge amount.

you may also choose to have them shifted to the rear parcel shelf but that becomes a problem again when you need to load up the trunk.

speakers mounted on the rear doors now replace trunk mounted speakers in certain hatchbacks so you can try and look up a competent installer who'll be able to shift the hatch-mounted speakers to the rear doors......

however, that'll depend on the depth & size of the speakers in general.

6x9's will be oval shaped - which'll cause further problems if you need to get them mounted on the doors.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th March 2006 at 01:45. Reason: modifying content
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 03:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Remove the speakers from the boot where they are currently placed.. Get a wooden parcel shelf made.(lot of light weight wood available) cover the gap on the boot door with a new pad. voila.. the speakers dont get damaged.. you have the boot space and the quality of sound from the speakers.. hehehe.. had done that on my zen before.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 10:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

you could have 2 small boxes made. i had this done to my zen in 1995. each box can be made about 4-6" deep and fron the back of the rear seat tot he hatch. this will reduce the width of the trunk by about 12" but will still leave room for a 30" bag and a carry on (standing).
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 17:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeaah. Dumb idea to have the speakers in the trunk lid panel, especially 6x9s, more so when you have a parcel tray isolating them from the passenger cabin. Get a parcel tray....better still, get a new car :P just kidding!
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote