Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th March 2006, 06:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Chinese Car MP3 - Will you buy it ?

In the market we can see a number of Car MP3 Players and lots of taxis/old Ambis seems to be fitted with them. I've heard that sometimes you will get MP3 Players for about Rs.1500.

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that all the Chinese products are made with the cost factor kept in mind and little due is given with regard to product quality. But I've seen several instances where some Chinese products lasts longer. And most of the failing products are the duplicates of the other companies and not the other Chinese products which is marketed in their original names.

About 5 years ago one of my neighbours has bought a Video CD player made by a Chinese company named Pagaria and it's still running without any need for repairs even after using it daily. When I've compared it's output with a Sony VCD player (manufactured in the same year) on a Sony TV , and it's almost the same.

So what's problem in going for Chinese Car MP3 players ?

Let the thoughts flow...
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 11:42   #2
BHPian

Hey dude i would suggest you to go for the original ones.
caroholic1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 11:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

In case of a chinese player, there are 70% chances it will work fine. So if you are lucky, you wont face a problem, but if you are unlucky, then you are left with a dud.
with Sony/Panasonic etc., chances of faliure are less, and if you buy from an authorized dealer, you have warranty also.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Take the risk since its just 1500 bucks.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 14:09   #5
BHPian

1500 bucks v/s 5-6000 bucks...

I say buy a new chinese 1 as soon as the older one fails you..

I dont think all of them will fail..
ThE_DoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 14:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1500 bucks v/s 5-6000 bucks...

I say buy a new chinese 1 as soon as the older one fails you..

I dont think all of them will fail..
There's a lot of difference in the Chinese HUs compared to the branded ones. Its not just the price. Build quality, sound quality,etc. also matters.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
There's a lot of difference in the Chinese HUs compared to the branded ones. Its not just the price. Build quality, sound quality,etc. also matters.
I'd buy a Chinese head unit the day I buy my Chinese car, and some Chinese fuel to go with it. Sam, what was that Chinese restaurant you were naming? Heck wait...I dont have a Chinese girlfriend!!
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 14:24   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Heck wait...I dont have a Chinese girlfriend!!
Those are available too
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 18:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it's quite simple. If you have a budget of 2.5 to 3K for your car music system, you're interested only in the economies of things, not performance.
An enthusiast differs between two equally priced good, international brand products.
Honestly, i promise you, cheap stuff sounds cheap. But you need the system to hear it. Most people have this fallacy that they wont be able to make out the difference between a good and a bad system. Not true.
If i had 1500 bucks to buy a CD player and that was all i had, sure i'd buy the chinese. But if i didn't care how it sounded, would i join this forum? hmmm?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:13   #10
BHPian

Well Chinese prducts are usually no, no. But that is true that some chinese products have really good quality.But plz mind 'some' not all. Based on performance of one chinese company you cant say all chinese products are good.

And Ya I would definately spend more and take an HU which has built in Eq, Good mofset, And a good display which usually wud cost around 11K but its worth it.

My advice is dont go for chinese HU.It even doesnt look good installed.

And one more piece of info i wud like to share is that Today most of Pioneers speaker and woofers are all chinese.They look just the same and even sound the same.Tht means quality is also quite good. Most of the accessory shop owner keep only chinese pioneer coz it gives them better profit.......Source is a friend owning a car accessory shop.....
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Rs. 1500 systems fron China or Gurgaon or wherever they are made address a different market from the market we address here.

I have seen and heard these systems and I wonder. Many are flimsy to touch and feel and sound like mush. I dont think many a TBHPer would be happy with such a system.

Should we close this thread?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 12:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree. If someone was buying an unbranded cheap system, he would not be part of a car audio enthusiasts group. This thread serves no purpose.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Rs. 1500 systems fron China or Gurgaon or wherever they are made address a different market from the market we address here.

I have seen and heard these systems and I wonder. Many are flimsy to touch and feel and sound like mush. I dont think many a TBHPer would be happy with such a system.

Should we close this thread?
I've asked this question because everyone are not dirty rich here in India and the wealth distribution system here is very dismal when compared to the developed countries.

So if someone has bought a car on a shoestring budget with the help of loans and if he aspires to have a car stereo like others; Is it a sin ?

But I've never made up my mind to go for Chinese products; just asked to have some info regarding Chinese products.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 12:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Please dont misunderstand me. Somebody on a shoestring budget would buy whatever suited his pocket. My only point is that somebody buying a system for it's price only, regardless of quality,would not be here. On a audio enthusiasts forum. That's all.
Old 14th March 2006, 13:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun

[b]So if someone has bought a car on a shoestring budget with the help of loans and if he aspires to have a car stereo like others; Is it a sin ?
I think you misunderstood us (I am speaking for Sam as well). There is a very perfect market for these products (Rs. 1500 HUs). However these products are usually poorly made and do not cater to the car audio enthusiast.

I know what it is to not afford the good stuff (I had to skip meals to make ends meet) but never entertained the thoght of buying somethng this poorly made (the cost was not my point).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote