Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 20:08   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
When you say many people have done it, count me in too!
Infact I have made a very detailed pictorial guide on how to DIY in the gearheads forum.
Search in gearheads for
"A-detailed-FIGO-USB-complete-DIY-for-less-than-Rs.100!"
racer_m!! I didn't know you are here on Team-bhp! If you notice my first post here - the link indeed points to your post on gearheads. Excellent DIY post , I must say. Infact, believe it or not, I googled "racer_m" and nothing but the gearheads post came up - I did that so that I could ask you about those pins :-) (the post on gearheads was about 6 months old, so didn't bother posting there). When I said, many people have done it, I was referring to you

I am glad you replied. Tell me something, say I find these pins/connectors, how do I crimp them? I am gonna need a crimp tool, aren't I? I looked up a few youtube videos for crimping without a crimp tool and there seems to be no simple way to it. Oh and I tried to pull the stereo out with a U pin made from a hangar - the hangar I had was too thick

I am kind of tempted to ask you to help me build it (by couriering the cable to you), but I guess, that wouldn't be cost effective at all
So, I guess, I will keep at it - try and find those pins and those tools over this weekend and complete the DIY hopefully.

Thank you once again for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You will get this in any shop that sells electronic/electrical components, not a general electrical shop that sells tubelights and wires.

What do you need it for? These are crimp lugs used in electrical panels.
All I find in my area are general electrical shops - I even consulted an electrician near apartment - he had no clue - obviously, I couldn't describe them well enough. Thanks for letting me know what they are called, I think I will approach my electrician once again.

Please refer to the DIY link in the starting post - I need these for pluggin the USB cable to the Ford stereo box.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th December 2011 at 20:55. Reason: Posts merged. Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 20:59   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,625
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Arrow Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
So, I guess, I will keep at it - try and find those pins and those tools over this weekend and complete the DIY hopefully.

Thank you once again for replying.



All I find in my area are general electrical shops - I even consulted an electrician near apartment - he had no clue - obviously, I couldn't describe them well enough. Thanks for letting me know what they are called, I think I will approach my electrician once again.
They're usually called faston / quick connect terminals. The one's you're looking for are female 12-10 (yellow coloured ones are 12-10 AWG).
Yes, you need a crimp tool or you can solder them if you don't want to buy a crimp tool for a few terminals.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 21:12   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

@fedexp, IMHO you will be better off buying the 1100 bucks cable. At least you will be up and running instead of going on a WGC!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:12   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@fedexp, IMHO you will be better off buying the 1100 bucks cable. At least you will be up and running instead of going on a WGC!
DerAlte, You should read about my ford dealership experience, which was posted on this forum. I don't really like the idea of going back to them and paying them when I know that all it takes to get it done is a small usb cable and some patience :-) .. Btw, what does WGC stand for?
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:25   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
DerAlte, You should read about my ford dealership experience, which was posted on this forum. I don't really like the idea of going back to them and paying them when I know that all it takes to get it done is a small usb cable and some patience :-) .. Btw, what does WGC stand for?


Wild Goose Chase I guess.

While I don't think it is a waste of time, I do suggest you keep the tools made in the process. You would want to remove the stuff before you go to the dealership or the "friendly" guys their may void all sorts of warranties.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:01   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Wild Goose Chase I guess.

While I don't think it is a waste of time, I do suggest you keep the tools made in the process. You would want to remove the stuff before you go to the dealership or the "friendly" guys their may void all sorts of warranties.
why would it void any warranty? the audio guide clearly talks about these connections.
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:15   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
why would it void any warranty? the audio guide clearly talks about these connections.

It shouldn't - but those guys would want to deter you from anything and everything.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:07   #23
BHPian
 
racer_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
r
I am glad you replied. Tell me something, say I find these pins/connectors, how do I crimp them? I am gonna need a crimp tool, aren't I? I looked up a few youtube videos for crimping without a crimp tool and there seems to be no simple way to it. Oh and I tried to pull the stereo out with a U pin made from a hangar - the hangar I had was too thick

I am kind of tempted to ask you to help me build it (by couriering the cable to you), but I guess, that wouldn't be cost effective at all
So, I guess, I will keep at it - try and find those pins and those tools over this weekend and complete the DIY hopefully.

All I find in my area are general electrical shops - I even consulted an electrician near apartment - he had no clue - obviously, I couldn't describe them well enough. Thanks for letting me know what they are called, I think I will approach my electrician once again.

Please refer to the DIY link in the starting post - I need these for pluggin the USB cable to the Ford stereo box.
Let me make it very simple for you.
You just have to make a quick stop at your nearest Car Audio shop. These guys have the special clamp to remove your HU and the clips you are looking for.
Just tell them you want the HU removed/detached from the dashboardand he will do it with the 2 U-clamps. give him 10 bucks if u want!

Once out tell him you want the clips which would go in the HU terminals at the back. The reason being you don't want the clips to be too big to foul the adjacent points.(you want to also keep some margin for keeping the clips shielded so they don't touch each other)

Trust me you dont need all the gizmos/youtube vids to crimp a simple wire and clip. A plier and doubling up the individual USB exposed wires are all it would take to get them sloted in. If you see the pics, I have squeezed the metal tightly on the wires, and that should be good enough(more than 8 months and done on my system and no wire has loosened)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
why would it void any warranty? the audio guide clearly talks about these connections.
Its all a money making Gimmick, so that the customer shells out 10-15 times more money than it actually costs
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 17:00   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Let me make it very simple for you.
You just have to make a quick stop at your nearest Car Audio shop. These guys have the special clamp to remove your HU and the clips you are looking for.
Just tell them you want the HU removed/detached from the dashboardand he will do it with the 2 U-clamps. give him 10 bucks if u want!

Once out tell him you want the clips which would go in the HU terminals at the back. The reason being you don't want the clips to be too big to foul the adjacent points.(you want to also keep some margin for keeping the clips shielded so they don't touch each other)

Trust me you dont need all the gizmos/youtube vids to crimp a simple wire and clip. A plier and doubling up the individual USB exposed wires are all it would take to get them sloted in. If you see the pics, I have squeezed the metal tightly on the wires, and that should be good enough(more than 8 months and done on my system and no wire has loosened)




Its all a money making Gimmick, so that the customer shells out 10-15 times more money than it actually costs
Racer_m, thank u for the encouragement. I almost gave up on it, but here i am reporting live from ministers road hyderabad. So i tried a few more shops and nobody had those connectors until this small shop car decor guy who understood what i wanted. Thankfuly i was carrying a smartphone today to show him a pic. Bought 5 clipd for 20 bucks. Took them to a sardarji who sits outside mavin decars, who crimped them to the cable and solddered them for extra safety. I am adding a piccof the same.80% there, just have to get the stereo out and connect the cable. One question for you.. the cable doesnt have a black wire like in your diy post.2 colors are different i guess. Pls see the pic and let me know what is what. Appreciate ur help, bro. []

fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 17:53   #25
BHPian
 
racer_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
U

Racer_m, thank u for the encouragement. I almost gave up on it, but here i am reporting live from ministers road hyderabad. So i tried a few more shops and nobody had those connectors until this small shop car decor guy who understood what i wanted. Thankfuly i was carrying a smartphone today to show him a pic. Bought 5 clipd for 20 bucks. Took them to a sardarji who sits outside mavin decars, who crimped them to the cable and solddered them for extra safety. I am adding a piccof the same.80% there, just have to get the stereo out and connect the cable. One question for you.. the cable doesnt have a black wire like in your diy post.2 colors are different i guess. Pls see the pic and let me know what is what. Appreciate ur help, bro. []


No Problem here. Here are some more color code options:
Colour:RED, ORANGE - Connect to: POWER, VCC, SVCC, +5V

Colour: WHITE, YELLOW - Connect to: P-, DATA-, SBD-

Colour: GREEN, GREY - Connect to: P+, DATA+, SBD+

Colour: BLACK, BLUE, BROWN - Connect to: GROUND, GRND, GND

so from your pic, Green is USB Data+ and White is USB Data-, the Orange is USB VCC+5V and the Blue is Ground.
Hope that answers your doubt. All the best.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 19:59   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Note from Mod : Your pictures have been uploaded to the Team-BHP server. Please note that it is MANDATORY to upload pictures only via the Team-BHP Attachment System. To know how to, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
No Problem here. Here are some more color code options:
Colour:RED, ORANGE - Connect to: POWER, VCC, SVCC, +5V

Colour: WHITE, YELLOW - Connect to: P-, DATA-, SBD-

Colour: GREEN, GREY - Connect to: P+, DATA+, SBD+

Colour: BLACK, BLUE, BROWN - Connect to: GROUND, GRND, GND

so from your pic, Green is USB Data+ and White is USB Data-, the Orange is USB VCC+5V and the Blue is Ground.
Hope that answers your doubt. All the best.
Racer_m, thank you again. I did a bit of googling about usb color codes - I figured out that the colors are as per what you wrote above.

Anyway, here's where I am: A mechanic from SolarShade, Ministers Road, helped me with removing the car stereo - he did not unplug the wires at the back - I figured I can do it myself. At the back of it, it has 3 plugs, one I guess is the radio wire, a black plug and a brown plug.

The brown and black plugs have these small push mechanism for removing them. The brown was easy, but the black pin doesn't come out no matter how much pressure I exert. :(
Here's a pic to make u understand what I am talking about.

Name:  DSC05176.JPG
Views: 4586
Size:  119.1 KB

The rectangle in red has the black plug. How do I unplug it - it's so bloody tight.?

Lastly, before I plug the USB to those pins, I wanted to make sure the insulation is good enough. Here's a close up of the insulation. I believe the pins will go in horizontally, so I guess, they have to be fully covered, but there's a really tiny bit of it that is not being covered by the insulation - let me know if you think if I should stick more tape on it. In case the black plug is too tight to remove, would you recommend plugging the usb pins with the black plug connected? (with the black plug connected, the stereo is still powered, so I don't think it would be a good idea).

Name:  Snapshot_20111217.JPG
Views: 3080
Size:  34.5 KB

And Finally, Thank you so much, Racer_m - for helping continuously. I will wait for you reply.

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2011 at 17:49. Reason: Read Mod Note in your post
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 20:21   #27
BHPian
 
racer_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
Racer_m, thank you again. I did a bit of googling about usb color codes - I figured out that the colors are as per what you wrote above.

Anyway, here's where I am: A mechanic from SolarShade, Ministers Road, helped me with removing the car stereo - he did not unplug the wires at the back - I figured I can do it myself. At the back of it, it has 3 plugs, one I guess is the radio wire, a black plug and a brown plug.

The brown and black plugs have these small push mechanism for removing them. The brown was easy, but the black pin doesn't come out no matter how much pressure I exert. :(
Here's a pic to make u understand what I am talking about.

The rectangle in red has the black plug. How do I unplug it - it's so bloody tight.?

Lastly, before I plug the USB to those pins, I wanted to make sure the insulation is good enough. Here's a close up of the insulation. I believe the pins will go in horizontally, so I guess, they have to be fully covered, but there's a really tiny bit of it that is not being covered by the insulation - let me know if you think if I should stick more tape on it. In case the black plug is too tight to remove, would you recommend plugging the usb pins with the black plug connected? (with the black plug connected, the stereo is still powered, so I don't think it would be a good idea).

And Finally, Thank you so much, Racer_m - for helping continuously. I will wait for you reply.
Well 2 things now.
1. I would still be more safe and try to wind the black insulation tape so that no clip end is visible. While putting into the slot you cannot take any half measure now is it
2. As for the battery power and ground being active, you can disconnect the. Battery terminal in the engine bay. Now you need not break your head removing/breaking the black connector. Just make the connectors as per the manual

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2011 at 17:49. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 21:06   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Well 2 things now.
1. I would still be more safe and try to wind the black insulation tape so that no clip end is visible. While putting into the slot you cannot take any half measure now is it
2. As for the battery power and ground being active, you can disconnect the. Battery terminal in the engine bay. Now you need not break your head removing/breaking the black connector. Just make the connectors as per the manual
Thank you, racer_m for the tips.

1. I will have to use a diff insulation tape - clear duct tape, coz I don't have more of that black insulation tape.
2. I have never tried disconnecting the battery terminal - I will give it a shot after reading the service manual, tomorrow. So, you are saying that if I disconnect the battery terminal, then I should be ok making those connectors are per the manual. Will try it out and keep you posted.
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 13:03   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Note from Mod : Your pictures have been uploaded to the Team-BHP server. Please note that it is MANDATORY to upload pictures only via the Team-BHP Attachment System. To know how to, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Well 2 things now.
1. I would still be more safe and try to wind the black insulation tape so that no clip end is visible. While putting into the slot you cannot take any half measure now is it
2. As for the battery power and ground being active, you can disconnect the. Battery terminal in the engine bay. Now you need not break your head removing/breaking the black connector. Just make the connectors as per the manual
Ok racer_m, I'm at the last hurdle.

I've tried disconnecting the battery - the manual warned me against it and I figured it won't be easy disconnecting it after looking at the engine bay. So, I went back to pulling out the cables from the back side of the stereo and with some effort, I was able to pull the stereo out clean.

Now, the connections as per your guide pin1 - white, and pin4-red (orange in my case). I understand that each wire that is connected to a clip/crimp opens into 2 holes/ends. So, if I were to connect the white to pin1, it occupies, 1 and 4 pins (both of them)! So, how do I connect red/orange to 4 now?
Here's how it looks for your ref:
Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?-1.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2011 at 17:51. Reason: Read Mod Note in your post
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th December 2011, 16:27   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Note from Mod : Your pictures have been uploaded to the Team-BHP server. Please note that it is MANDATORY to upload pictures only via the Team-BHP Attachment System. To know how to, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
Ok racer_m, I'm at the last hurdle.

I've tried disconnecting the battery - the manual warned me against it and I figured it won't be easy disconnecting it after looking at the engine bay. So, I went back to pulling out the cables from the back side of the stereo and with some effort, I was able to pull the stereo out clean.

Now, the connections as per your guide pin1 - white, and pin4-red (orange in my case). I understand that each wire that is connected to a clip/crimp opens into 2 holes/ends. So, if I were to connect the white to pin1, it occupies, 1 and 4 pins (both of them)! So, how do I connect red/orange to 4 now?
Here's how it looks for your ref:

What am I doing wrong?
Here's a picture of a crimp:

Name:  2.gif
Views: 2754
Size:  8.1 KB

My understanding is that pins on the stereo going into the red holes? Or is it the green in the middle? If it is the red area, then I guess one crimp = 2 pins? or if its the green area, then I guess, I've the bigger sized clip so, I don't think i'll be able to fit in all those crimps one on each pin on the stereo. :(

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2011 at 17:52. Reason: Read Mod Note in your post
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Adding a USB port to the Ford Figo Mr.Boss In-Car Entertainment 39 30th November 2017 18:59
How can I use USB/Aux cable in my Pioneer DEH-P4850MP? abhipuru16 In-Car Entertainment 36 14th February 2010 02:38
Sony Unilink cable (bus audio cable) issue philipreji In-Car Entertainment 1 3rd January 2009 16:32
AUX-in to USB cable? Ramsagar In-Car Entertainment 9 23rd December 2008 18:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks