Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th December 2011, 10:30   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?

Hi FEDEXP, sad to hear that your DIY did not work out as smooth as you expected, and its ok, glad that you did try out something than nothing!
Anyway I did mention that you should first take out the HU and then buy the right sized clips for the back connectors.
Since you want to now only buy a cable that goes in readily, why are you worrying about the ford guys. You need not even take your car in, just buy the cable and since you have the HU already detached, plug it in, slot the HU back in place and you have the USB solution good to go.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 11:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post
ok.. here's a quick update. Taking vina's advice, I tried it out and... it didn't work.
The fast on connectors, I guess, are one size bigger than what I want. They wouldn't really sit will on the pins well enough for it work :-(

So, I guess my whole effort, is a flop. I have to go back and find one size smaller connectors and get them soldered again - This is going to be one heck of a task (coz it seems so non-trivial). And, I even survived a keycode scare - the keycode was printed incorrectly (alpha numeric) - and it locked me out for a good 30 minutes (in the dark of the night with mosquitoes), until I figured out the right code on the 7th attempt.

A Big Thank you for all those who have been of a great assistance in doing all this - even though I didn't get there eventually, this was a good learning.
can you get hold of one of those telescoping antennas, from portable radios etc?
You can hammer out one of the sections and cut out into nicely fitting lugs.
youll have about 6 sizes available from one aerial.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 11:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Seriously - they don't care. This happens so much they can't hold it against you anyway.

And in any case they have three showrooms in the city - go to a different one if you feel uncomfortable.

As far as audio quality via bluetooth is concerned - I found it quite adequate. What kind of music are you planning to play? If your answer is MP3 and you think Bluetooth can't do justice, well you try it out first.
vina, I guess I will give it a try at Fortune Ford or ask my brother to get it.

Yes, I am going to play MP3 most of the time. I've tried it out by burning mp3s to a CD and playing the CD vs listening to the same MP3s via bluetooth. I found bluetooth quality somewhere between radio and CD. The CD sounded definitely much better ( I could be wrong, but that was my perception). I had even tried using the aux-in and it sucked - the wire wouldn't sit it nicely and even with aux there was some perceived loss of quality. I've heard that the usb option gives you top quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Hi FEDEXP, sad to hear that your DIY did not work out as smooth as you expected, and its ok, glad that you did try out something than nothing!
Anyway I did mention that you should first take out the HU and then buy the right sized clips for the back connectors.
Since you want to now only buy a cable that goes in readily, why are you worrying about the ford guys. You need not even take your car in, just buy the cable and since you have the HU already detached, plug it in, slot the HU back in place and you have the USB solution good to go.
Racer_m, I guess that is what I will do. I should have gone with my gut feeling while buying those lugs - my first impression was that they seemed too big, but the guy who sold them to me said they are standard size, so I trusted 'em to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
can you get hold of one of those telescoping antennas, from portable radios etc?
You can hammer out one of the sections and cut out into nicely fitting lugs.
youll have about 6 sizes available from one aerial.
Don't own a portable radio, mayankk. I guess, I will go buy that cable from Ford now, at least, I don't have to pay 200 for installation - I can do it myself. The weird thing about this cable is that Mody Ford sells the whole thing (1100+900 = 2000)! and Fortune Ford sells it for (1100+200 = 1300)!

How could they sell the same thing at radically different rates - that is out of my understanding - hence, I started with the DIY in the first place.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2011 at 11:29.
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 12:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexp View Post

Yes, I am going to play MP3 most of the time. I've tried it out by burning mp3s to a CD and playing the CD vs listening to the same MP3s via bluetooth. I found bluetooth quality somewhere between radio and CD. The CD sounded definitely much better ( I could be wrong, but that was my perception). I had even tried using the aux-in and it sucked - the wire wouldn't sit it nicely and even with aux there was some perceived loss of quality. I've heard that the usb option gives you top quality.

CD gives you the best quality usually - USB is same.

If you are playing via bluetooth then the difference is between the audio decoder of the Figo unit and that of the bluetooth device you were using. It is interesting you found same MP3 playing from a CD better. That has to mean that the Figo decoder is better than your device's.

I don't play music very often, so it didn't matter that much to me.

The Fortune (Khairatabad) guys had told me they would sell the cable for 1100, and I could install myself if I wanted to. If you can get the unit out already then there is no need to pay them a penny for installation - the cable can be attached directly.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:45   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently the USB only works if you have a platinum or ZXi model (what do you have?)

Here is a DIY success story from Carwale

Ford Figo USB Audio Cable successfully created - Page 2 | Audio/Video & Navigation Systems | Car Forums - CarWale

Also see this Picasa album

https://picasaweb.google.com/1126908...DIY?feat=email

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th December 2011 at 13:47.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 17:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Apparently the USB only works if you have a platinum or ZXi model (what do you have?)

Here is a DIY success story from Carwale

Ford Figo USB Audio Cable successfully created - Page 2 | Audio/Video & Navigation Systems | Car Forums - CarWale

Also see this Picasa album

https://picasaweb.google.com/1126908...DIY?feat=email
Thank you, Sam. I've read this one and the ************* DIY by racer_m before starting out with the DIY. Yes, I own a Ford Figo ZXi.
fedexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 21:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

With help from my uncle, got one of these made for my colleagues Ford Figo stereo. Snipped off the male end of the USB chord and soldered the wires on to the spades. My uncle did a brilliant job of insulating the spades too. Cost of USB chord Rs. 70, spades could have been Rs. 20, not more and that is what it costs to build one of these. Typical with everything Ford, charging over Rs. 1000 for this is ridiculous.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo DIY for USB cable! How do I DIY?-fordfigousbchord_r.jpg  

sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote