Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th September 2007, 01:34   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
1. Car

Mitsubishi Cedia Sport

2. what is your existing setup (HEADUNITS, SPEAKERS, AMPS, DSP,SW etc.)

Head unit : Alpine CDA-9887 - Rs. 23000

Hey!!! Finally posting here

I think you are officially the first 9887 owner on TBHP. Enjoy!
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 03:32   #392
Senior - BHPian

Great to see a Cedia Sport with nice ICE . Congrats and have fun! I intend to upgrade my audio soon too.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 08:29   #393
Senior - BHPian

@FlyingBong, nice setup, congrats!

How does the 9887 sound?

The X-types are a bit too bright for your taste? Is that why you felt you could have bought better ones for the money spent?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 09:13   #394
BHPian

@Hydrashok & reignofchaos, thanks!

9887 sounds very clean/detailed....a little on the lean/cool side though

X-types are a bit on the bright side, but felt this really after replacing the stock Blaupunkt with the 9887 (component matching issues??). Now, with the tweeters set at -1.5db, this is more of an issue with selected CDs. Funny thing is that I chose the X-type because I thought they had the best treble within the Alpine range, lol...

Guess, what I'd want for the money is a bit more warmth without sacrificing any detail...

Of course, am enjoying the setup immensely nevertheless, waiting eagerly for the time when funds allow me to add a sub...
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 10:43   #395
BHPian

1. Car

Swift VDI (ABS)

2. & 3.what is your existing setup (HEADUNITS, SPEAKERS, AMPS, DSP,SW etc.)? How much did it cost ?

Head unit : Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 - Rs.13,500 (MRP - Rs. 15,950)
Front : Blaupunkt GTx663 3 way - Rs. 2,500 (MRP - Rs. 2750)
Rear : Blaupunkt GTx 693 3-way ovals - Rs. 3,000 (MRP - Rs. 3450)

Total : Rs. 20400

4.How serious were your about your system?
Pretty serious

5. which kind of music do you listen to ?? prefer deep bass or how is it...
English - Golden oldies - everly bros, elvis, marvelettes, etc etc
Bollywood
English Rock
Instrumental - Carnatic

6. would you recommend it to others???

Yes, - the HU comes with Front Aux, USB AND in-built Bluetooth for Handsfree (the mike gets attached to the visor above the driver)
ceebeezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 11:58   #396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
How does the 9887 sound?
Hydrashok, just a curious question regarding this question. How can an average music listener know how does a "HU" sound? I mean we install the whole package and listen to the system in its entirity. However speakers can be judged based on how they sound not HU. For HU, we can probably relate with how its features are compared to different models? etc.

As you maybe aware 9 out of 10 people dont connect different HU's and listen to the effect and then decide which HU to buy. Or maybe i got it all wrong and there is a way to differentiate the sound emanating from one HU to another. Please throw some light on this subject
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 12:38   #397
Team-BHP Support

1. What is your existing setup (HEADUNITS, SPEAKERS, AMPS, DSP,SW etc.)
  1. HU: Alpine 9830
  2. Front Speakers: Illusion Audio EL 6.1
  3. Rear Speakers: Alpine S-Type 6x9
  4. Sub Woofer: Illusion Audio EL12
  5. Cabling: Ground Zero 4 gauge wiring kit + Ichibahn IKIT8
  6. Amplifier: JBL GTO 75.4 x 2

2. How much did it cost ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...lowing-sq.html

3.How serious were your about your system?

I was serious!

4. which kind of music do you listen to ??

Everything.

5. would you recommend it to others?

I usually don't but those who heard it have gone for it .
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 13:50   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
... How can an average music listener know how does a "HU" sound? I mean we install the whole package and listen to the system in its entirity. However speakers can be judged based on how they sound not HU. For HU, we can probably relate with how its features are compared to different models? etc.

As you maybe aware 9 out of 10 people dont connect different HU's and listen to the effect and then decide which HU to buy. Or maybe i got it all wrong and there is a way to differentiate the sound emanating from one HU to another. Please throw some light on this subject
No, you haven't got it wrong The Output of a HU definitely reaches our ears through speakers. And the speakers do influence how a HU finally sounds.

But a HU that tends to give warm sound will feed a signal of that kind to the speakers, regardless of what speakers are installed. Granted, different speakers will give different representation of the same signal.

If you know the basic characteristics of your speakers, and the basic characteristics of the HU, you can expect a particular kind of sound from the combo. We always need some point/item of reference to judge something, right?

In my case I will be able to actually test different HUs keeping the rest constant.

I'm planning an upgrade to an Alpine 9887. My whole setup except the HU will be the same. I know the kind of music my system is producing now (with the current HU). Changing the HU is certain to change the character of the music the entire system will produce. This change will be quite apparent to me, as I'm very familiar with the kind of music my setup produces. So, an indication from somebody about the kind of sound the 9887 produces, will definitely give me an indication of what I will be able to expect from a 9887 feeding the rest of my setup.

Unfortunately, coming back to the real world, the ability to test multiple HUs is limited by the range and stock carried by your dealer. You may not always be able to do a lot of testing :(

Of course, the features of a HU are also a factor in deciding what HU, but how a HU sounds is the most important criteria IMHO. If I compare 3 HUs with more or less the same basic features I want, I would always choose the better sounding HU, even if I had to compromise on some not-so-important features. And if features are what sells HUs, a lot of really high-end HUs that sound really sweet would not have any takers.

Last edited by hydrashok : 18th September 2007 at 13:55.
Old 18th September 2007, 14:11   #399
BHPian

pm viper he recently installed the alpine 9887 H.U
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 14:12   #400
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the explanation. But, the situation that you outlined seems appropriate for someone who has the entire set-up completed and has listened to it for long periods of time and just wants to change the HU to improvise the sound. But, very few people swap HU's in their course of lives probably 2-3 times at the most ( taking an average of 5 years of usage per HU, thats the period most people retain their one car )

What about a brand new customer who is on verge of installing his entire set-up including the HU. IMHO, it would be very difficult to judge the music of the HU's in this scenario and they would largely have to rely on the advice of users of the HU that they select. In selection, again they go for features as a primary criteria. I am still not so knowledgable to differentiate sounds from one HU to another. Probably i should remove my 6850 and install a higher end version like Alpine or something to see if there is a noticeable change in existing sound which i am sure probably would be there. Just that this concept is difficult for first time implementers, thats all
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2007, 14:28   #401
Senior - BHPian

@mobike, that's true. A fresh setup with HU and speakers has the disadvantage that you have to get it right the first time. And that's not very easy, unless you have listened to the very same setup installed in a car someplace. Or unless you have heard about the kind of sound that combo can produce (but even descriptions can't always help you really feel the difference like when you listen to it). Like I said before, without a reference point most things are difficult to judge.

Just for fun, if you listen to your setup (try your favourite song) with a different HU, you will be able to make out a difference.

Most of the the time, most of us can make out the difference out between different setups and combos. We just have trouble communicating/describing the difference. I do. I can't always describe in words exactly what the difference is, though I can feel the difference, and understand it well enough to be able to associate that specific kind of sound to that specific kind of setup, and remember that kind of sound.
Old 17th October 2007, 16:52   #402
BHPian

1. Car

Maruti Esteem VXi

Head unit : Alpine CDA-9883
Front : Illusion Electra EL6.1
Rear : Alpine Type-S 6x9
Amplifier for Comps and Rear Coax: Ground Zero GZTA4.120MK2
Wiring: Ichibahn ISTS20 & GZPK10 8 gauge amp wiring kit

Installation at Boom, Bandra.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...rk-begins.html

3. How much did it cost ?
All in all - 37k as yet!

Pretty serious

5. which kind of music do you listen to ??

Blues - Clapton, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, etc
Rock - 60s/70s, electric guitar instrumental...
Other assorted stuff across genres...

Yes, absolutely!

Last edited by FATAL3RROR : 17th October 2007 at 17:09.
FATAL3RROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 17:14   #403
BHPian

@FATAL3RROR: I think you also have Ground Zero Titanium GZTW 30T Subwoofer.
kumar_ranjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:40   #404
Senior - BHPian

1. Car

Getz Prime 1.3

Head unit : Pioneer - 8000 (Dont remember the model. Bought it 3 yrs back for my Santro .Only one output)
See what Team-BHP membership did to me..
Front : Alpine Type-S SPS171A Components - Rs.9500
Rear : Alpine 6*9 Co-Axials -Rs.9000
4 channel Amp: Panasonic CY-PA4003U - Rs. 9000
RCA/Power Cables - Rs.2000

3. How much did it cost ?

Pretty serious

5. which kind of music do you listen to ?? prefer deep bass or how is it...

Hip Hop, Soft, Hindi

I would recommend Alpine speakers. Especially Alpine Type-S SPS171A Components. Selected it from the Team-BHP thread : Top 10 6.5" Component Car Stereo Speakers
Thanks Team-BHP
Went for Panasonic amp as I got a good deal. Dont know how good it is.
Pioneer HU is reliable and VFM.
Next Upgrade when finance permits: Alpine CDA-9887 HU
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:45   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I would recommend Alpine speakers. Especially Alpine Type-S SPS171A Components. Selected it from the Team-BHP thread : Top 10 6.5" Component Car Stereo Speakers
The reason why I selected this Component from the list is that Navin is using it. Experience counts. Thanks Navin
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote