Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th February 2012, 20:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SQ settings for my Santro's setup and rear speaker placement options

My santro is rarely driven, like 7 days a month, but of late I have scrambled hard to get the perfect settings for the ICE it has.
  • Its a sony HU MEX BT3850 with B/T, USB, CD and aux-in
  • JBL 4" speakers at front (driven by the stereo)
  • JBL GTO 949 6 by 9 ovals at rear
  • Kicker 200.4 DX 4 channel amp (it drives the rear speakers and bass tube)
  • JBL CS series 1100W bass tube
  • infinity tweeters.
What settings I should keep in my HU (equalizer) and amp (gain, bass boost, x-over)? I mostly listen to classic pop 70s and 80s, so clarity is paramount from whatever setup I have, metal often (bass is important) and secondly, he rear speakers are fitted on the grill that came with the factory.

I have the factory parcel tray intact but many people have recommended to fit the rear speakers on a heavy tray by cutting it. I preferred the close-to OEM look but since the speaker grill can only accomdate 5.5" round speakers, should I go in for a different parcel tray?

I prefer a high quality tray which does not rattle and also looks good aesthetically. What brand is recommended?

Also, will fitting the ovals in the rear tray improve the SQ?

Last edited by sidindica : 5th February 2012 at 20:22.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:49   #2
BHPian

Default Re: SQ settings for my Santro's setup and rear speaker placement options

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

I have the factory parcel tray intact but many people have recommended to fit the rear speakers on a heavy tray by cutting it. I preferred the close-to OEM look but since the speaker grill can only accomdate 5.5" round speakers, should I go in for a different parcel tray?

I prefer a high quality tray which does not rattle and also looks good aesthetically. What brand is recommended?

Sidindica,

I have similar thoughts , but parcel tray is not the culprit. its the where it is mounted( plastic panel . if one tried to tighten with better screws it develops cracks.

the after market fitments are ugly one. what i have in mind is creating a frame in aluminum which can be used as a platform and install the OEM parcel tray on top of that. the point also need to note that that speakers with a closed console gives better sound quality.

Sri
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 15:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: SQ settings for my Santro's setup and rear speaker placement options

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
JBL 4" speakers at front (driven by the stereo)
JBL GTO 949 6 by 9 ovals at rear
Kicker 200.4 DX 4 channel amp (it drives the rear speakers and bass tube)
JBL CS series 1100W bass tube
infinity tweeters

I have the factory parcel tray intact but many people have recommended to fit the rear speakers on a heavy tray by cutting it.

With the amplifier driving the more efficient rear 6x9 speakers can you even hear the front speakers? Granted the current connection is the best way of making a din but it puts power where you need it least.

Use the amp to drive the front 4" woofers (and subwoofer) set the amp's HP filter to about 120Hz to start with. The louder you play the higher the filter setting should be. This will prevent the front speakers from distorting.

Now why did you add those Infinity tweeters? Remove them from the circuit for now and report if you find the front speakers not having enough HF. Your front speakers probably have coaxial tweeters in them.

Lastly yes a better more rigid rear tray will greatly ensure that your rear speakers dont rattle and buzz. It also does spoil the stock look of the car. Pick your poison.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote