Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 14:00   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
... HU blue power-on LED light was still glowing, but amp was not powered on as the LED light of amp was not glowing. ...
The external amp remote turn-on input (check the amp manual) is connected to the Remote Power On output of the HU (Blue or Blue+white wire in the harness). As soon as the HU powers on (either by Power On button, or by Ignition Switch signal), this output goes high, which tells the connected external amp(s) to go on. Some HUs have separate one for Power Antenna (Blue+white wire) that goes on only when on switches to Tuner, in others there is only the blue wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
... I still need to find a way to get an amplifier trigger to work.
If your HU is the same as @Gadgetfreak's, should work for you too - if you have an external amp.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 14:09   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,942
Thanked: 1,624 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If your HU is the same as @Gadgetfreak's, should work for you too - if you have an external amp.
His head unit is a JVC. This is not stock and a amplifier can be easily fixed with this one as it will have a remote trigger for it.

I hope the color codes for remote trigger, as mentioned by you, are for the same function in the stereo wiring harness on the Linea/Grande Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
My HU blue power-on LED light was still glowing, but amp was not powered on as the LED light of amp was not glowing.
Interesting. This sounds like an improper power line connection to the head unit and I would advice against this. It seems to be a direct feed from the battery or from some line in the car that has power even after key position is OFF.

The led light of the amplifier will not glow if the head unit is in stand by mode. The head unit, when turned on sends a trigger signal (Over a single wire connection to the amp) to the amplifier to turn on and it is the same when you switch back to stand by. When I say switch on, I mean when you need music playing. The indication of a stand by light glowing on the head unit does not mean it is switched on. It is only receiving power.

Last edited by DerAlte : 24th February 2012 at 14:47.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 14:52   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
... I hope the color codes for remote trigger, as mentioned by you, are for the same function in the stereo wiring harness on the Linea/Grande Punto. ...
Harness wire color codes are the same even for OE HUs. Too much of a hassle for harness vendors, and a big possibility of errors, otherwise.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 01:42   #19
BHPian
 
iFuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Delhi , Gurgaon & Chandigarh
Posts: 112
Thanked: 73 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
List of things again :
1. Rainbow components

2. Bull audio co-axials

3. Kenwood amplifier with some not so well known brand line convertor

4. Scosche wiring kit

5. Damping on front two doors

6. Misc things like labour, spacers, rc lead etc.

Total spent - a shade under 30,000.
@ coolboy007, Brilliant set-up, I must say. I like the fact that you went in for Rainbow, when I was deciding on my set-up, that was an option given to me however due to the fact that they were 3K over my budget and are a bit on the brighter side I went in for hertz Energy. I;ve only heard great things about Rainbows.

The install looks neat and clean and it will sure take some time for the speakers to break in and play out to their full potential. Mine are now playing to their full potential. The sub woofer makes a big difference, so I will certainly suggest that you fix that up ASAP for stage 2. I have a basic sub woofer which is just about doing the job and I have to change it, so I will keep an eye out for what you decide upon and install, as that would give me more options.

Thanks a lot for posting your ICE install. Aman is a fabulous person and his staff is excellent at their work (P.S. I am in no way affiliated to them at all, I am only a customer).

The Krrr sound could be due to some loose fitting of a part or maybe something missed the damping. Oh and if you do go there to get it checked out, ask them if they can cover the spacer rings with a sheet of black cloth/mat material they use, sometimes that could help avoid the krr sound as it prevents the speaker vibrating against the spacer ring wood pannel. You can check the spacer ring install pics in my ICE section, they have covered the naked wood pannel with a black cloth/mat material, they glued it onto the wood of the spacer rings before instaling them in the doors.

Enjoy the music and the long drives
iFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 19:16   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I am using JVC AVX 44. Well damping as not exactly come off but I can now hear the metal sounds when playing a little loud, just to tell you that volume level 3 or 4 in my car would be equivalent to 14-15 in other
Am dead sure that these adapters come for JVC, just read a member's post who got a jvc installed through the same installer as me in his Swift and he has been told that he would get a adapter for him so his steering controls work, i will give a call to Aman tomorrow and ask for you and then PM you about it.
As for the last line of your quote - , 3-4 equivalent to 14.

Quote:
Yes when ignition of linea is turned of, amp still remains powered on. My amp is directly connected to battery but the guy who installed the ICE for me connected it in such a way that when i power off my HU, amp automatically switches off.
Thats the issue with all Linea's equipped with Blu ne Me as you say. I just got it connected via cigarette lighter. The only negative is that i cant listen to any music until the ignition is at the ON position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Got that. How does it travel from the battery and finally reach the inside of the car? Was a hole made somewhere?
No clue, are you talking of RC lead? The connection to amp is through cigarette lighter, as DerAlte has said, i think there must be a hole there to pass it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
@ coolboy007, Brilliant set-up, I must say. I like the fact that you went in for Rainbow, when I was deciding on my set-up, that was an option given to me however due to the fact that they were 3K over my budget and are a bit on the brighter side I went in for hertz Energy. I;ve only heard great things about Rainbows
Thanks mate, your thread was the kicking point and i went rolling to the shop early morning next day and am so tied up with things that i just forgot to even thank you on your thread - apologies.
I was also going for Hertz as i had listened to them and had quite liked the balanced output but then somehow my heart said "Rainbow rainbow" and i went in for it.

Quote:
The install looks neat and clean and it will sure take some time for the speakers to break in and play out to their full potential. Mine are now playing to their full potential. The sub woofer makes a big difference, so I will certainly suggest that you fix that up ASAP for stage 2. I have a basic sub woofer which is just about doing the job and I have to change it, so I will keep an eye out for what you decide upon and install, as that would give me more options.
The speakers are opening up really well now, a big difference to what it was on day 1. The sub woofer feeling is sinking in now , every time a bass heavy song comes, i wish for it so the sub is coming in first week of March.

I have shortlisted a Rockford fosgate punch (7-8k) in factory enclosure but need to check if its P3 or P1. Sub is an easy thing to install so i would ask Aman to audition a few for more.

Quote:
The Krrr sound could be due to some loose fitting of a part or maybe something missed the damping. Oh and if you do go there to get it checked out, ask them if they can cover the spacer rings with a sheet of black cloth/mat material they use, sometimes that could help avoid the krr sound as it prevents the speaker vibrating against the spacer ring wood pannel
It is coming from the rear doors, just checked your thread and understood what you were saying. Will get it checked on my next visit, the krr spoils the fun.

Quote:
Enjoy the music and the long drives
Thanks and you too enjoy the new set up and that addictive Swift turbo whoosh after 2,000 RPM.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 18:01   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Thats the issue with all Linea's equipped with Blu ne Me as you say. I just got it connected via cigarette lighter. The only negative is that i cant listen to any music until the ignition is at the ON position.
It's nice that your amp powers on only when ignition is turned on, I usually ensure that I switch on my HU only when i start the car or amp will eat away my car Battery.

Two updates from my end:

1) I have modified my setup and have installed another amp (Pioneer Mono -7500) and have connected my woofer (Infinity) to this, I have also changed my 7 year old Boston speakers with another set of Boston (470 watts). The clarity has improved a lot.

Now I have following:

HU : JVC AVX 44
Components : JBL reference (Don't recollect the exact model number)
Speakers : Boston 460w
Woofer : Infinity
Amps: Pioneer 4 channel (944) and Pioneer Mono 7500
Wiring : JBL kit.

2) I was able to find a solution for integrating my HU with steering controls. Will be testing the functionality tomorrow, Have heard that this is the best possible solution available, specially when I have both odds as in car: Linea and HU of JVC.

Will update tomorrow once I'm done with testing and if it works then installation.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 15:41   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Subwoofer update
So the day has finally come - i was itching for a sub from a long time now and the ICE set up was incomplete without it. Had rockford fosgate Punch P1 in mind but some how the specs werent great at 150W RMS and then i gave a look at Infinity and shortlisted the Infinity Reference 1260W sub for myself. I just need decent output and not boom bam type of sound.

Gave a call to motor concepts and he quoted 6,000 for sub + 1500 for enclosure = 7500

Have a shop here in dwarka who recently opened and i pressed for discounts and managed - 4700 for sub + 1000 for enclosure = 5700.

Also i spend a lo on fuel going to motor concepts (60 kms to n back) and this place is 4 kms away from my place, sub install doesnt require any nuclear science, its just plug n play so even if they mess up i wont end up with rattles or anything.

The same Kenwood KAC-846 amp will now power the sub and the other two ch will power the front rainbow components.

Just got a call that my sub has arrived, will check it thoroughly if its genuine or not and make sure its not a fake. Will get the install done today, might also audition the JBL bass tube but 90% i will go in for inifnity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
1) I have modified my setup and have installed another amp (Pioneer Mono -7500) and have connected my woofer (Infinity) to this, I have also changed my 7 year old Boston speakers with another set of Boston (470 watts). The clarity has improved a lot.
Am also going in for Infinity sub ref 1260W - had excellent reviews all over and fits right in my budget. The mono amp will come later. Can you tell me how much you spent on the mono amp?

Quote:
2) I was able to find a solution for integrating my HU with steering controls. Will be testing the functionality tomorrow, Have heard that this is the best possible solution available, specially when I have both odds as in car: Linea and HU of JVC.
What is it? Connects 2 interface or something else?
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 17:30   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Subwoofer update
Am also going in for Infinity sub ref 1260W - had excellent reviews all over and fits right in my budget. The mono amp will come later. Can you tell me how much you spent on the mono amp?


What is it? Connects 2 interface or something else?
Buddy, I own a Car Accessory shop so i get these things from dealer, But normally you should get this in the range of 10k.

Yes connects 2 interface is what i was getting installed, but it will be a dream. Actually I had made a blunder, I was itching to change my HU and my guy was not in shop, so in my hurry I went directly to my supplier and got it installed there only, Installer cut my socket wires, today when i went to install adapter from connects2 dealer, the moment he opened my system he told me that adapter cannot be installed as the socket is not there.

Will have to do some research now in order to go for this.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:37   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Got the sub installed and all i can say is that the sub alone has just put a big grin on my face , yes the thump has somewhat subdued the bright rainbow components but boy oh boy - am loving it.

The Infinity 1260W sub is rated at 300W RMS and a peak power of 1200 watts. I havent added a mono amp for now - the same kenwood amp is powering the compos, co-axials and subwoofer.

Paid a total of 5600 including bill and warranty for both sub and enclosure.
The installation quality was strictly average, infact it seems they have messed up a few settings on the amp so i need to visit a good shop and get the tuning done again, the speakers start crackling after 8-9 volume, maybe they increased the gains too much.

Every other shop was quoting 6000 for this sub so 5600 incl of enclosure and fitting is a steal.

As for the sub - its a total VFM, brilliant and is really kicking in hard.

I have a doubt - my amp is Kenwood KAC-846

1. The guy put the front components, co-axials and subwoofer all together. I asked him to just put front compos and sub on amplifier while giving the co-axials a direct connection to the HU.

2. Is it safe? I mean i dont want my amp to blow out or some other issue because of it? Should i get the thing done myself somewhere else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Installer cut my socket wires, today when i went to install adapter from connects2 dealer, the moment he opened my system he told me that adapter cannot be installed as the socket is not there
Will have to do some research now in order to go for this.
Oh!!!!
Do keep me in the loop, i might just change my HU a couple of months down the line


ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.-img_0480.jpg

ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.-img_0482.jpg

ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.-img_0484.jpg

ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.-img_0486.jpg
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:59   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

You can rather have your woofer and rear speakers on amp till you add a mono. This is my suggestion and experience.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 16:26   #26
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 284
Thanked: 196 Times
Default Re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Hello coolboy007

I think you should get a good sealed subwoofer box , instead what you have got installed in your linea . Go to infinity website and you can get the box measurement from there . Sealed subwoofer box has to be completely sealed to get a good output . Woofer will not perform to its best till an amp is giving a good clean power to it . You should have gone to reputed shop like motor concepts , as they have right expertise .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Got the sub installed and all i can say is that the sub alone has just put a big grin on my face , yes the thump has somewhat subdued the bright rainbow components but boy oh boy - am loving it.

The Infinity 1260W sub is rated at 300W RMS and a peak power of 1200 watts. I havent added a mono amp for now - the same kenwood amp is powering the compos, co-axials and subwoofer.
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 17:38   #27
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 706
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: ICE'd my Linea after a long 2 years wait - Infinity sub added.

Nice setup coolboy and gadgetfreak.

I have a question - I am looking to install components at the front. I am sick of the stock speakers in the Linea. I don't want to lose the B&M functionality, hence the stock HU will stay. Can I install the components and connect them directly to the HU? OR is an amp mandatory?

Last edited by iceman7 : 18th March 2013 at 17:39.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Infinity Reference and Infinity Kappa series kanhaiyo In-Car Entertainment 30 9th March 2017 13:19
After a long wait - The Ritz VDi govigov Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 1st March 2015 19:40
I am here now after a long wait. NullRock Introduce yourself 4 1st October 2009 16:38
Finally! After a long and agonizing wait! Hello everyone! suhaas307 Introduce yourself 4 8th September 2009 00:40
After a long wait it is here... Driven 250km in a day hbkamit Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1 17th September 2007 16:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks