Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st March 2006, 12:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravbasu
while installation of Sony HU into my car I didnt see them using any such key .. although I see the manual speaks about such key. I guess this keys can be obtained from the dealer from where you have got the car stereo installed.

Just a thought, it will be really good if anybody can post step by step guide (with photo) to open a Head unit and re-install it back again.
Absolutely correct. And it is of no value to the dealer and installer, so if you ask for it, hewill give it gladly. In fact you can even go later and ask for it, if you didn't get it the time when you fit it.(they throw them away with the box sometimes)
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 15:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Ihave never had to do this but if I ever have to clean my lens I would do the follow:

ask my installer to remove the HU. then clean the lens myself and enjoy a coke while she our her crew put it back.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 18:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

It's quite easy to clean the car cassette players than the car CD/MP3 players.

For cleaning cassette players just use ear buds and the tape head cleaning liquid (which contains alcohol).

For cleaning CD/MP3 players, the normal CD Lens cleaner will suffice since the only major difference between the computer CD-ROMs and computer CD-ROMs is, they can survive really hard shocks. And this is mainly due to the shock absorbing ability, the car HUs are costlier when compared to the computer CD/DVD-ROMs.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 18:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
It's quite easy to clean the car cassette players than the car CD/MP3 players.

For cleaning cassette players just use ear buds and the tape head cleaning liquid (which contains alcohol).

For cleaning CD/MP3 players, the normal CD Lens cleaner will suffice since the only major difference between the computer CD-ROMs and computer CD-ROMs is, they can survive really hard shocks. And this is mainly due to the shock absorbing ability, the car HUs are costlier when compared to the computer CD/DVD-ROMs.
have you tried thsi with car cd HU's? or just assuming? Can you guarantee that the normal cd lens cleans wont get stuck?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 14:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
have you tried thsi with car cd HU's? or just assuming? Can you guarantee that the normal cd lens cleans wont get stuck?
It is not a good idea to put in brush type CDs in a car cd HU
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

it not a good idea to use brush type lens cleaners period. home or car player or even a top loader. if you are using a CD cleaner use a wet one.
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
while installation of Sony HU into my car I didnt see them using any such key .. although I see the manual speaks about such key. I guess this keys can be obtained from the dealer from where you have got the car stereo installed.

Just a thought, it will be really good if anybody can post step by step guide (with photo) to open a Head unit and re-install it back again.
Ok... I gotta go and talk to the installer. I need this key as I learnt it the hard way. Recently my car went to the service station. When it came back I realised that the HU is not playing... I mean no power, nothing. So took it back. Those guys tried the fuse and everything else but it refused to start. Then they wanted to take it out and check the back. However no matter how much they tried to won't come out. Ultimately the whole facia around the AC had to be opened to take the damned thing out :P

Btw, what do you mean by "by step guide (with photo) to open a Head unit and re-install it back again"? If you mean the connections required to be made while installing it in a car check your Installation guide. Everything about making the connections is illustratively depicted. And if you meant actually opening the casing of the HU for cleaning and all I guess it is more of a DIY thing... start opening the screws one by one and keep an eye for what you are removing from where... once you are through just follow the whole process in reverse I have opened and put back a lot many things the same way.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 12:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Ok... I gotta go and talk to the installer. I need this key as I learnt it the hard way. Recently my car went to the service station. When it came back I realised that the HU is not playing...
Oh thats very bad !! I too need to collect the Keys from the installer guy. I too feel that is is better to take the HU out before sending the car for servicing. By doing this you will also prevent dust from getting inside the HU.

I therefore insist that every car owner should know how to remove and re-install their Car's Player (HU) ... and should try this atleast once to be aware of the steps. Another option is to ask the installer to show you how to remove the deck and put it back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Btw, what do you mean by "by step guide (with photo) to open a Head unit and re-install it back again"? If you mean the connections required to be made while installing it in a car check your Installation guide. Everything about making the connections is illustratively depicted.
What I meant is : it will be very helpful if we get a illustrated set up guide to install the Head Unit. As I dont have any setup guide for my Sony HU (grey maal) except the user manual where only the features and functionality has been described. Pioneer comes with very good installation guide which is also available only .. the same is not true for Sony
souravbasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 12:28   #24
BHPian

Sourav, did you not get keys while buying the HU? If I remember correctly, you have an Alto. and dismantling the dash in an Alto is fairly easy as I found out.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 12:49   #25
DRC
BHPian

I regularly clean the HU pick up lens with wet type CD lens cleaner. I am satisfied with the performcance.
But I have a problem with the rubber rollerr that sucks the CD inside and ejects. It seems to be slippiong and many times the CD struggles to come out. I have to oull it out some times.

Is there a help around (experts!)..

I use a Pioneer. I tried opening the HU but could not access either the lens or the roller.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 13:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Sourav, did you not get keys while buying the HU? If I remember correctly, you have an Alto. and dismantling the dash in an Alto is fairly easy as I found out.
Nope I didnt get the keys ... also at that time I was unaware of anything such ...

I have WagonR and not Alto ! I think in case of WagonR it should be the same like Alto...

If I return home early from office today, I will try to dismantle the dash and the player without key.
Old 4th April 2006, 13:55   #27
BHPian

which r the good wet lens cd cleaners
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2006, 13:57   #28
Team-BHP Support

Dicwasher is one brand i have seen available.
Old 4th April 2006, 14:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh thats very bad !! I too need to collect the Keys from the installer guy. I too feel that is is better to take the HU out before sending the car for servicing. By doing this you will also prevent dust from getting inside the HU.
in this case also get the plastic cover that was removed from the HU location. so that the service guys dont fill the open slot with dust. of faling which cover the open slot with some plastic sheet and 3M Scotch tape.
Old 4th April 2006, 14:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I regularly clean the HU pick up lens with wet type CD lens cleaner. I am satisfied with the performcance.
Where do we get these Wet Type CD Lens cleaner (in Bangalore) ?

In general, do we get it in any electronics shop or music stores (like musicworld or planet-m) ?