Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th December 2006, 18:57   #31
BHPian

hello fellow bhpians....atlast got a pic of myfront spkr...i shall try taking a better picture this week ...till then can anybody diagnose wats the cause for vibration from this pic??
[img=http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1817/dsc00464rw3.jpg]

Last edited by hari_rama : 17th December 2006 at 18:59.
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 23:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

hari_rama, I checked the pic. Install/fixing of the speaker looks quite ok.

But, it looks like the transparent polythene sheets on the front doors are still there. It is possible that the irritating sound is that of the plastic sheet flapping against the plastic door trim/pad/cover when the speaker hits bass notes. I'd read somewhere on the forum that this can happen.

Folks, do you think this could be it?

Another thing: The speaker seems to have been spaced forward and out into the door trim quite a bit. The problem also could be the speaker's cone hitting the door pad on full excursion while hitting bass notes.

Last edited by hydrashok : 17th December 2006 at 23:18.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 00:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
hari_rama, I checked the pic. Install/fixing of the speaker looks quite ok.

But, it looks like the transparent polythene sheets on the front doors are still there. It is possible that the irritating sound is that of the plastic sheet flapping against the plastic door trim/pad/cover when the speaker hits bass notes. I'd read somewhere on the forum that this can happen.

Folks, do you think this could be it?
Anup, Spot on. Baleno has this problem.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 10:56   #34
BHPian

Thanks Hydrashok n Gunbir for replies........I dont think i t would be the polythene sheets as the vibration is very firm...errr i mean it is very prominent......SO if its the cone hitting the door trim then will inserting some wool or some soft material between the cone and the door trim do the job??
Old 18th December 2006, 12:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
SO if its the cone hitting the door trim then will inserting some wool or some soft material between the cone and the door trim do the job??
Noooooo! If that is the problem, you should reduce the thickness of the spacer, so that the cone will not hit the door trim even at full excursion. You should also make sure you can get the window to close/go down completely without hitting the speaker's magnet if you do this.

Also try pressing down firmly on the door trim when the vibrating sounds start coming. Does the vibration go away? If it does, the door trim is what is causing the vibration, and it may need to be fixed more firmly/screwed down.

Last edited by hydrashok : 18th December 2006 at 12:14.
Old 18th December 2006, 13:49   #36
BANNED

Don't count the plastic problem out unless You're very sure about it. Because even plastic vibrations can get very loud and prominent too. Check with the door pad off and playing the speakers.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 21:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hysrashok, I salute you......at first i thought wat can a polythene sheet do to such vibrations and somewhat neglected tht part.......
But today evening i removed the sheet near the area of the speaker cone and i should say tht the vibration has decreased considerably......really Hydrashok thnk You....

BTW do i actually need tht polythene sheet in the door ???????If i remove the whole thing will it cause any trouble???tht sheet is sticked to the door wid some gum ......I think i should remove the whole sheet to remove the vibratoins totally...
Old 18th December 2006, 22:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm having this problem in my baleno....Whats the solution for this?
Will removing the polythene cause any other problem?

KP

Last edited by kpzen : 18th December 2006 at 22:44.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 23:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

I'm glad to have been of help. If you hang around the ICE section long enough, you get to hear a lot of stuff that comes in handy some time or the other :-)

The polythene sheet is really not needed there. It is meant to prevent water that seeps down the window sill from getting on the door pads. If you keep your window up in the rains this doesn't happen much anyway. And, in fact, the moment the service guys need to get something done inside the door, they just rip it off anyway.

As a replacement solution, you can try sticking a thin (0.5 mm or so thick) sheet of foam/plastic sponge (that you can buy off any furnishing supplies store) onto the door, where the polythene sheets are now stuck. These sheets are a little heavier, and will absorb some vibration too.

If you use Fevicol SR (I think SR will work with metal also), you can peel it off later if you want to. If SR doesn't work, you can probably use the tape (3M?) that sticks on both sides.

I've used thick sheets of this stuff (plastic sponge/foam) to tame the vibrations that my MDF speaker tray (in the rear) used to make.
Old 19th December 2006, 01:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama View Post
Hysrashok, I salute you......at first i thought wat can a polythene sheet do to such vibrations and somewhat neglected tht part....... But today evening i removed the sheet near the area of the speaker cone and i should say tht the vibration has decreased considerably......really Hydrashok thnk You....
Told you so...

Quote:
I'm glad to have been of help. If you hang around the ICE section long enough, you get to hear a lot of stuff that comes in handy some time or the other :-)
Hydra... dont be modest... you impress me on a daily basis...

Last edited by gunbir : 19th December 2006 at 01:32.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 12:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Told you so...
Hydra... dont be modest... you impress me on a daily basis...
Thanks, gunbir! Especially coming from a guru like you, it means a whole lot :-)
Old 6th February 2007, 13:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Sameerji , baleno can take in 6.5'' without any mods ..

OT , are u still in bangalore ??
There seems to be some confusion about stock speaker sizes in baleno, possibly because of older versus newer versions of the car. Various people have mentioned front sizes ranging from 5.25" to 6.5" Can somebody please tell me what sizes can be fitted at front/rear locations in recent models? (mine is Oct-05 manufacturing, LXI model... and I hope LXI and VXI should not differ as such?)

Sam, you had mentioned that baleno can "take" components in front without any cutting/modification. I know that front woofer sits inside the door panel, where does the tweeter fit? Is there any factory made provision on door/pillar/dash?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 15:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
There seems to be some confusion about stock speaker sizes in baleno, possibly because of older versus newer versions of the car. Various people have mentioned front sizes ranging from 5.25" to 6.5" Can somebody please tell me what sizes can be fitted at front/rear locations in recent models? (mine is Oct-05 manufacturing, LXI model... and I hope LXI and VXI should not differ as such?)

Sam, you had mentioned that baleno can "take" components in front without any cutting/modification. I know that front woofer sits inside the door panel, where does the tweeter fit? Is there any factory made provision on door/pillar/dash?
I'm having 6.5" JBL comps in front for my baleno 06 Lxi......No fixing problems....

Technically is it correct or not that ICE guru's can only say....

Last edited by kpzen : 6th February 2007 at 15:46.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 16:03   #44
BHPian

Thanks kpzen... So, where is the stock location for tweeters?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 20:14   #45
BHPian

Baleno comes with 6" stock location. However you can fit 6.5" easily using 0.75" MDF spacer ring. You might need to cut the circular ring protruding in the dorr panel grill towards the inside (can be done with sharp blade).

If you have electric RVM then go for tweeter pods/sail panels. The other option is on the dash on the bottom of A Pillars.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote