Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th March 2006, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for Baleno (sorry..but here we go again)

Hi all,

Planning to pick up a Baleno mid April..Looking to get a good ICE system for the car..Have got a few options, which I would like to run past you guys. Its not like I haven't read the other threads, btu I think this is a bit different..Do bear me out on this

K. Here it goes..different options from three different sources

Option I

1. Kenwood MP3 HU which now comes standard with the Vxi (would prefer an Lxi wituout the OEM HU)
2. Cervin Vega 4" front co-axial (4k)
3. Cervin Vega 10" box subwoofer (7k, I think)
4. JBL/Alpine Amp (10-12k)
5. No rear speakers
6. Fixing charges - forgot to ask!

Option II

1. Pioneer P5000 (Double Din) (15k) OR Pioneer 5850 (10k) OR Alpine (15-18k)
Fronts: JBL GTO components 5.25" (5.5k) OR 6" (6k)
2. JBL rears (same as above OR oval GTO 936e 6x9 speakers(4.75k)
3. JBL Amp CS60.2 (6k) OR CS60.4 (9k)
4. JBL subwoofer (15" GT4 @6.5k OR 10" GTO Bass box@ 7.5k)
5. Fixing charges - forgot to ask!

Option III

1. Pioneer 5850 (9.4k) OR Pioneer 5000 (Double din@13k)
2. Boston FS50 5" Components @ 5.7k
3. Boston FX6 rear coaxials @ 3k
4. Amp- JBL 4 Channel @8k or 600W Sony 4 channel @ 5.1k
5. Subwoofer - Boston GS1200 @7.4k OR Pioneer 800W @3.8k
6. Cables (Tsunami RCA & Boss) @ 5.3k & Fittings (Fibre s/woof box & rear plank)+Labor @ 5.8k

If you've gone thru the above and you're still with me..my questions..

1. Would you suggest I initially go for HU, fronts and rears and at a later point when I know what else the car add on the subs and amps?

2. Any views on the choice of HU..Pioneer or Alpine. Don't expect to play with multiple functions available on the Alpines and happy with the basic.

3. How would you rate the Boston speakers against the JBLs. Sam, would value your unbiased view. The suggested Bostons seem to be legacy products on their website.

4. Are fitting and cabling charges about 11k usually for ICE as in OPtion III..or am I living in the previous generation still? Do the other guys charge the same?

5. In Bangalore, visited 3 chaps who are highly recommended (in TBHP and outside)- EB Bass, PFM and Sound Factor (JBL). bangalore bhpians would like your thoughts on which one I should go for.

Loved the customer service and time taken by the EB Bass and PFM guys to explain the stuff to me and their prices are quite good too. The JBL guys didn't seem too keen to explain/demo and their prices are bit higher too, tho heard their fitting quality is impeccable. Have heard some stuff about SQ and SPL being good/bad in some.

6. Last question..Would like to get the ICE setup within a range of 20k to 35k (which IMO is a reasonable sum). not prepared to shell out more..though I totally understand that the quality and experience may take you to a totally diff high.

Thanks for taking the time to go through this long thread. Would appreciate the views/suggestions from this forum. Looking forward to have a well loaded ICE system soon.

Cheers
Spyder
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 19:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

SMACKER OF A POST SPYDER!!

IMHO do Option 2... JBLfy the car with HU of your choice - Get yourself the Pioneer 5750 which have been recommended for the SQ... an upgrade may be the 7750 .. More features than any comparable alpine/kenwood... and if you are willing to go to the 15-20K bracket then opt for the 8650 @ 16K... 24 bit Burr Brown DACs... The latest "Highly recommmended" Hu is the Kenwood KDC-X8529 @ 12k

There.. I made JK a Happy man!!

Last edited by kb100 : 30th March 2006 at 19:23.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 20:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 paise.

1) Check out Tbhpians car that we haev at bangy.
2) YOu can always upgrade with amps+sub later
3) dump teh idea of using boss
4)Boston F series are teh entry level ones I guess and hence JBL's would be better.(correct me if i am wrong)
5) Option 2 looks good.

Most here would prefer Alpines over Pio. Check out Mcl's Baleno too and maybe Rudra's car if you can.

Start with a good HU with 2-3 preouts, good components for front and ovals for rear (or round ones; as it would avoid cutting I Guess) if you would be getting a sub box or tube.

basic setup :10k Good HU + 6k 6inch compo + 4.75k rear + fittin 1k = 22k

Good setup; 10k HU + 6k compo + 60.4 amp 9k + box sub 7.5k + 2k cable +1k fitting = 35.5 !

Better:13k HU + 6k compo + 4 channel amp + rear 6x9 4.75k + box sub 7.5k + 2k cable +1k fitting = 35plus + price of your choice of 4 channel amp !

a) You can get HU frm 8k onwards; max 15k should do
b) Unavoidable: front compos; 6k
c) rear: filler...5k max
d) 4 channel Pio amp: 7k (grey); Sony 504 5k; JBL cs60.4 9k?; etc
e)cable; 2k to 3k

To save money stick with a good 4 channel. Power front compos and teh sub via the amp. The rear via the HU.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 22:10   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Hey spyder .. With a budget of 35 k u need to allocate it as follows :

1. Pio HU for around 8k with preferably 3 pre-outs..
2. Pioneer 6100 amplifier for 7k or JBL 4 ch amp ..
3. 6.5'' compos for the fronts either from alpine/hertz/JBL/blau .. Dont bother with the other brands.. Around 7k ..
4. Rear 6.5'' speakers for around 5k .. Again the same brands mentioned above ..
5. One 12'' sub from any of the brands above for around 8k ..
6. 4k for install and wires etc ..

Run the sub off the 2ch and the other 2 ch for the compos .. Run the rears off the HU ..

Total : 39 k .. A bit off budget but worth every penny .. Pure SQ is what you should be looking at .. I do suggest u check our rudra's optra and hopefully my baleno after the speedrun .. My setup should be done by then ..

Also id suggest u to stay away from EB Bass , asif's know for only SPL installs ... Not the kind of setup that u would want i suppose ?? Try sound factor , car fancy or TMC for that matter .. PFM is bloody expensive but deepak does some fab installs ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 13:53   #5
BHPian

Wow. Thanks for the great responses. Guess I'll check out Sound Factor and go for the JBLs. And from a VFM and utility point of view..think I'll go for the Pioneer HU.

From what I read the fixing and cabling charges seem to be around 4-5k at max. That should be decent.

Depending on the financial position and my frame of mind at the time, think I'll go for the entire system. Might as well get the party started asap

Do tbhp guys get any discount at Sound Factor since Sam is a member here and says he'll be able to work out a good deal. They seem to charge at MRP!!

Cheers
Spyder
Old 31st March 2006, 14:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
Do tbhp guys get any discount at Sound Factor since Sam is a member here and says he'll be able to work out a good deal. They seem to charge at MRP!!
Yup try saying the words "Sam" and "TBHP" there and you'll see what happens
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 14:49   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I pity santosh , preetham and CO u know ???
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 15:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
I pity santosh , preetham and CO u know ???
When I got to get my compos fixed Preetham told me that he initially thought there would be about 5-10 members maximum.
parijnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 15:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Option II

1. Pioneer P5000 (Double Din) (15k) OR Pioneer 5850 (10k) OR Alpine (15-18k)
Fronts: JBL GTO components 5.25" (5.5k) OR 6" (6k)
2. JBL rears (same as above OR oval GTO 936e 6x9 speakers(4.75k)
3. JBL Amp CS60.2 (6k) OR CS60.4 (9k)
4. JBL subwoofer (15" GT4 @6.5k OR 10" GTO Bass box@ 7.5k)
5. Fixing charges - forgot to ask!
try this....
Alpine 9843
Infinity 5010
Infinity 5012
JBL GT4 sub
JBL 60.4 amp
cables Rs. 3.5K
Labour Rs. 1K
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 17:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Heh..I read that here...and I tried..but there was no sign of recognition on his face..almost blank..or maybe he was just avoiding the inevitable

Any other magic words/discount rates i can mutter to him (which will hopefully work)
Old 31st March 2006, 18:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heh..I read that here...and I tried..but there was no sign of recognition on his face..almost blank..or maybe he was just avoiding the inevitable

Any other magic words/discount rates i can mutter to him (which will hopefully work)
Impossible, you spoke to the wrong guy. Preetam's the boss at Sound Factor and he will greet the words with a small smile and an inaudible groan.

Sam ka dost log kitna hai, paisa kaisa kamaoo??

Preetam really thought there would be some 5 or 10 members in this silly forum BHP something. Now he's going to santhosh's computer to see what all the fuss is about. And yeah, he's very sorry that i can bend his ear from here.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 19:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Impossible, you spoke to the wrong guy. Preetam's the boss at Sound Factor and he will greet the words with a small smile and an inaudible groan.

And yeah, he's very sorry that i can bend his ear from here.
Ha ha..ROFL..K. Will try my luck when I get the car..Are the Infinity's too high end (meaning highly priced)..Navin was suggesting them over the regular JBL compos.
Old 31st March 2006, 19:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
try this....
Alpine 9843
Infinity 5010
Infinity 5012
JBL GT4 sub
JBL 60.4 amp
cables Rs. 3.5K
Labour Rs. 1K
Thanks Navin..Looks like a good package...and its only a lil beyond my budget.

Are the Infinity's so much better than the GTOs??
Old 31st March 2006, 19:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Run the sub off the 2ch and the other 2 ch for the compos .. Run the rears off the HU ..

Pure SQ is what you should be looking at .. I do suggest u check our rudra's optra and hopefully my baleno after the speedrun .. My setup should be done by then ..

Also id suggest u to stay away from EB Bass , asif's know for only SPL installs ... Not the kind of setup that u would want i suppose ?? Try sound factor , car fancy or TMC for that matter .. PFM is bloody expensive but deepak does some fab installs ..
Thanks for the tip and combination Mclaren.

Will check out your cars soon enough I hope..

One of my friends got his system fitted yesterday at EB..u're right about the SPL bit. Very good..but prefer SQ..Will probably check out Sound Factor or PFM (as an aside, he didn't seem too expensive) once I get the car. Since TMC is in Jayanagar, I'm too lazy to go so far :-)
Old 31st March 2006, 19:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
My 2 paise.

1) Check out Tbhpians car that we haev at bangy.
2) YOu can always upgrade with amps+sub later
3) dump teh idea of using boss
4)Boston F series are teh entry level ones I guess and hence JBL's would be better.(correct me if i am wrong)
5) Option 2 looks good.

Most here would prefer Alpines over Pio. Check out Mcl's Baleno too and maybe Rudra's car if you can.

Start with a good HU with 2-3 preouts, good components for front and ovals for rear (or round ones; as it would avoid cutting I Guess) if you would be getting a sub box or tube.

To save money stick with a good 4 channel. Power front compos and teh sub via the amp. The rear via the HU.
Thanks for the 2 paise JKdas..Very useful stuff..dumped the idea of using Boss, heh

Seems like the JBLs are winning this options race.."JBLify" my car seems to be the way to go :-)

Can't wait to check out the Tbhp-ian cars in Blore..esp Mclaren and Rudra's..Have heard a lot about it on these forums.