Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th April 2012, 11:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Android Tab integration into HU?

Was looking into possible ICE options for my new Nissan Sunny, and am shell shocked at how expensive high end double din systems are!

Additional problem is that with an after-market head unit, the steering remote will stop working.

So was just toying with the idea of integrating a 7" android tablet with the existing OEM HU of the car. The car has an AUX-in. I would need to :

1) Provide a stable mounting
2) Neatly provide power / aux connections

A 7" Tab from a good brand will cost less than Rs. 15000 and will add the following features:

1) MP3 player with SD Card/USB Support
2) A full blown GPS with Sygic
3) Internet Access
4) Video Player
5) Infinite Upgradability
6) Bluetooth access (possible for phone calls)
7) A great looking 7" capacitive touch screen.

Here is what I imagine this "could" look like. Need to figure out a way to neatly wire and mount the tablet. Also, need a way to turn the main HU on and off.

Need your comments and opinions on the viability and practicality of this idea..

Android Tab integration into HU?-sunny2.jpg
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Android Tab integration into HU?

This can be done.
But I think the max youll be able to go for would be a 7" tab.
There's videos on youtube about people doing it.

But would a tab be able to survive the shocks, or the temperatures of, say, a parked car, for long?
what about radio?
Most tabs dont have it.

you could instead get a 2Din unit from outside india, or maybe a used/older model for roundabout 15k, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P3...p_ob_e_title_0

but yeah, not capacitive.
and maps extra....

Last edited by mayankk : 10th April 2012 at 11:42.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

How would you access SD card and other extension slots since they are on the sides? How about using a suction cup kind of thing with not much gaps around the screen?
Should be a removable contraption. Also, hope the cooling inside the tab is sufficient to keep it running for long times.

But a very worthwhile exercise indeed and mighty interested to see how it shapes out.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th April 2012 at 11:49.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

You want the OE HU, AND you want the 7" tab in front of that, AND you want it neat looking? Why not! It will be easier if you don't want the HU - but then you will have to get an amp instead to amplify the music.

1. Since you would need the front controls of the HU to, well, control the HU (I am sure you will reach a situation of wanting to listen to FM, which you can't with the tablet), you really have to let the OE HU be in its current state

2. Since you won't often need to access the HU, you can safely put the tablet in front of it, provided you can move the tablet away to access the HU

3. Since it is not safe to leave the tablet in the car (heat, theft), you will have to make an arrangement that permits the tablet to be taken out without the hassle of disturbing the wiring. This is easy if you can get a cradle for the tablet (even an aftermarket one will do). Even then, the audio cable (to the HU) would need to be disconnected at the EP socket while removing the tablet, and reconnecting while putting it in

4. Check on the 'net - a lot of people, especially in Europe, have jury-rigged DIY arrangements for mounting EeePC and other such netbooks on the dash. One of the neatest I have seen would swing down from in front of the AC louvers. You could look at those, and get someone (or better, DIY) make a neat mount to hold the tab in front of the HU, and swing up / out to allow access the HU

Alternately, you can get a windscreen mount, and mount it near the right bottom corner of the windscreen, and hide the connecting wires behind the dash. In front of your eyes, at an arm's length for easy accessibility, yet does not obstruct your driving vision. If I were doing it, I would prefer this

5. Powering it would be easy - most tablets can charge off 5V chargers - you will only need a car charger

6. The EP out on the tablet can be connected to the HU Aux-in (your OE HU should have one). Announcements from the Navigation software will automatically integrate into the audio stream (except if you are listening to FM on the HU)

For everything else, there is Mastercard - as they say!
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 19:00   #5
BHPian

Why just a tablet ? even big smart phones/ ( S2 is good example) should be a good candidate for HU replacement. With all the apps present at penut price on android platform it can literally handle anything except few basic things. Few day's back I tried crafting a thermocol holder for S2 and fitted that in the in car vent's . But to completely replace the HU I need amplifier and there is no android app which can allow me do balance/ fader kind of setting from phone. So stuck there.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 23:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You want the OE HU, AND you want the 7" tab in front of that.
One can dream, cant he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Why just a tablet ? even big smart phones/ ( S2 is good example) should be a good candidate for HU replacement.
S2/Note is 27000 to 30000 making the idea financially unfeasible.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 11th April 2012 at 23:24.
Old 27th April 2012, 14:42   #7
BHPian

I have been toying with the idea of adding a tablet PC in my fully loaded Santro for 2yrs now.
Have seen multiple videos on youtube on how they fit the ipad/galaxy tab on to the car and how they integrate it with the HU.
My idea was also the same of getting to have an all you can do tab in the car than just a music player.

If you want to make do with minimal expense.

Galaxy 7" P1000 (I think)
Connecting it into aux in
Powering it with car charger.
Mounting it on a Sunny will be a herculean task.
Stable mounting point should be your priority to make good use of the system, it will involve some drilling and cutting of the dash.
All suctions mounts are of no use in my experience.

IMO it has to go here.
Android Tab integration into HU?-picture2.jpg

Last edited by Visaster : 27th April 2012 at 14:59.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 14:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

cougar installed his galaxy tab in his gypsy. ping him. he even had a thread on this topic.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 03:11   #9
BHPian

Check this out. customGadz
I have read may good reviews about it. Good capactive touchscreen is must for this setup.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Samsung and Kia to integrate the Galaxy Tab 10.1 into the K9

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct...cLwrPdYgLaC7Jw

Last edited by AbhiJ : 3rd May 2012 at 13:37.
Old 4th May 2012, 15:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Samsung and Kia to integrate the Galaxy Tab 10.1 into the K9

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct...cLwrPdYgLaC7Jw

Its a good news that Samsung is planning to integrate the tab into a car.
If it happens and they give out car kits for fitment in any car, this will become an one time solution for all car owners. And I bet it will make apple run for its money.
Imagine, it will replace the head unit, the GPS system, LCD screen and so on, making it very cost effective.

Last edited by Visaster : 4th May 2012 at 15:17.
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 10:52   #12

I would be doing my first such integration sometime next week once my Tab arrives from Ainol India. I intend to share complete integration process.
rider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 18:49   #13
BHPian

I have had the Galaxy Tab in my Gypsy for some time. Gypsy doesnt come with a 2DIN slot so had to actually hack a 2 DIN sized opening into my dashboard!

Tab approach has its pros: like ability to use apps like Google Earth when lost in a jungle! I can for eg fire up Google Earth and "see" waterholes in the vicinity of where I am which would otherwise be hidden by dense forest. Paisa Vasool for this reason alone! I also custom developed an android app to take notes and GPS/scat sampling entries into a custom forestry app: enabled me to retire my old Garmin GPS unit and made the job of whoever is assisting me easier! Rolling your own Android app is pretty easy if you have done some Java programming before and have an IQ above 90. :P Also downloaded a number of apps for Trip Cost, and log management. very useful!

However i have lost the Bluetooth facility of my old JVC HU. No steering remote like my old JVC. Also no FM: so u win some and lose some.

In my setup, The Tab itself slots into a Samsung Media Dock http://www.expansys.in/samsung-desk-...xy-tab-201993/. The dock is powered by a USB based connection to cigarette lighter socket. The dock has a stereo out: the output from here is split into 4 RCA female using a Y-splitter, which then goes to the Amp. When slotted in and powered, there is an audible DING sound through the speakers. Also repeated when cranking etc. When connected to the dock, it goes into desktop mode: if you get the carspecific dock Tab goes into car mode (confirmed). In car mode there is a pseudo-Centrafuse type interface However the Car Dock was FUGLY thing and would not allow me to make a clean install. So I use the Desktop Dock and use a paid app called Car Home Ultra to do the needful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....carhome&hl=en

Basically the idea was slotting the Tab into the dock would provide both power and audio connections: theoretically making it easier to slot the tab in an take it out when leaving. In practice however, removing and fitting the tab was cumbersome because the dock itself was Fixed. I now realise i should have made a hinged design: sticking the dock onto a hinged plate or something.

Electricals in my Gypsy were always screwed up: mainly on account of my constant jugaad. Currently ripped out the entire setup and doing a thorough rewiring job inlcuding an aux fusebox for powering all accessories. As i do this, Will be making a cleaner install of the Tab with no wires showing and maybe a fan to keep the tab cool.

Now if only there was a way i could keep my Tab setup and get steering remote control and FM. is there a Bluetooth based FM option? Just saying!

Advice for others considering the Tab option:
- fashion a 2DIN sized box out of balsa or something.
- Get a Desktop dock like the one in the link: allows for a cleaner install
- Do not make the dock fixed: put it on a hinge so it "opens" like a door. Easier to remove/fit Tablet at an angle and allow for flush fitting.
-Consider getting a CPU type fan cos it does get hot, esp when GPS is on for a prolonged period.

Maybe i should put up all this gyaan on my blog no! Mebbe after diwali vacations! :P

Last edited by COUGAR : 14th November 2012 at 19:00.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 20:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR
I have had the Galaxy Tab in my Gypsy for some time. Gypsy doesnt come wi-------------------- SNIP------------ should put up all this gyaan on my blog no! Mebbe after diwali vacations! :P
You've done all that everyone is looking to, then why do you need validation?
Of course put up a thread!
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 21:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You've done all that everyone is looking to, then why do you need validation?
Of course put up a thread!
rhetorical question ungle!

it is coming on my blog! :P
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote