Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd April 2012, 20:50   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mapmyindia GPS navigator VX140S review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The ETA & TTG are based on the the average speed for the Class of Road (usually speed limit ) *and* the current speed, and not a constant 50kmph.
Sirji, I compared the ETA & TTG for two sectors: NH-4 from here to Dharwad, and SH-65, from Dharwad northwards. It still used 50kph as the thumb-rule.

It did keep re-calcuating, but with at 50kph.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 23:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... It still used 50kph as the thumb-rule. ...
Hope you were not *driving* at a steady sedate 50!

No, check your settings / configuration. Look for class of roads setting (unfortunately I don't have an MMI installation), might be a level deeper in the menu. MMI has that road class indicated in the map against every defined road. Try it, if you tell it to avoid roads slower than a certain class, it will show a longer routing.

I don't know whether MMI has a speed limit warning. Using an MMI map on <don't remember which UI>, I remember the UI warning me of crossing 80Kmph on Mysore Road, and 50Kmph in City (it so irritating, I switched that pesky warning thing off! :()

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd April 2012 at 23:29.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 08:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Aren't you using the latest MAPs from MMI, version 7 or something?
Nope, when I bought the device, I received maps version 6.0. The latest is 7.0 but I haven't updated yet.

Quote:
1. MMI doesn't promise/gaurantee that future verions of maps would be backward compatible with all their MMI devices (even for a price). At the very least they should publish till when (in terms of no of years) they plan to support a device (say "Road pilot will receive MAP updates for purhcase till 2015" etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
So you have backward compatible in a sense you can delete the new version and use the old one or you can have both in two diff cards and use whichever card you want.
Yes, as aditya mentioned, you can always revert back to your original maps (if you still have them). I called up MMI customer care and asked them if I purchase the 2 year plan which will give me 4 map updates in 2 calendar years, will all the updates work on my 2-3 year old vx140 device? They said yes it will work. I also don't see the updates giving you any trouble, unless there are some very drastic changes which should be rare. These drastic changes (changes to the format of map data) will also make the new maps from MMI useless on older HU's from other companies, so MMI will not go down that road just for fun.

Quote:
Map upgradation also sounds a little weired. All that SD card stuff!. If you loose the card, support is not smooth.
You can always keep the backup of your maps at home stored on your laptop, the maps are just some files stored on your device/sd card. You can see these files when you connect the device to your laptop through USB, and you can copy them and take a backup. Same for the maps stored on SD card. MMI also recommends that you take a backup before updating.
When you update, you've to download new maps from a link the MMI customer care will give you, and just move these new files over to your device/SD card. This also gives you a lot of room to play, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
5. The bugs shared by you definitely need fixing. Does MMI offer firmware upgrade for MMI devices at all? Or do you have to live with the bugs mentioned above forever? I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for firmware updates.
Well, the standard industry practice is that once you sell your hardware, the subsequent software/firmware updates meant for bug-fixes are free. Whether the updates actually arrive or not depends on a lot of other factors. If the software is shared across multiple devices, the chances are more that it can happen.
I asked the customer care about firmware updates, he didn't understand what I meant and gave me the usual "you can update maps" pitch. I asked him that the device gives wrong voice commands, but the display navigation looks right. He answered that this will be fixed by map updates. He might be right, I am not sure. I do not know if the audio nav commands are stored inside the maps (which can then be fixed by newer maps) or generated by the software by looking at the map data. If I update my maps anytime, I'll try to find an answer to this one.
The route recalculation issues definitely look software issues to me. So I guess you've to live with those bugs since MMI is keeping mum about the firmware updates.

Quote:
Lastly out of curiosity, can I have navigation & multimedia playback (say audio) on the MMI device simultaneously? In this case, does the device pause the music when directing me to take a turn? Otherwise, I can't see a use for the multimedia features on a navigation device.
Yes this is how I'm expecting it to work. I've seen at least the voice navigation fire, even if I am not at the navigation screen but somewhere else in the menu (I wasn't playing any other audio on it though). The display screen did not do a "flip to navigation screen for a few seconds and then flip back to whatever you were looking at" which would've been super cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawaal View Post
GPS device is a GPS device. A smart phone cannot replace it however smart the phone is.
I agree with you on this from a user mindset point of view. I will not want my super expensive smartphone (if I had one ) to be used roughly and played with and what not.
On the technical aspect, there are some really powerful smartphones available today or in the pipeline that have quad core CPUs from nvidia/qualcomm. If GPS capabilities of these phones are good, they can be become really awesome navigators. The extra CPU horsepower available can let them design a super complicated software with really amazing UI, super fast response, cool moving 3D effects and what not. The battery life for these phones is also generally very good, can easily last 8-10 hours of navigation.
nec2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sunday while traveling to Tirupati at the time of starting the Caska (MMI) started giving trouble. Once clicked on Navi option it would go to show maps and then immediately remove that and go back to radio. It would not stop here and would continue to do this (Show maps for few seconds and then go back to radio). It felt like it was trying to start the MMI app but was unable to do so for some reason.

Tried pulling out the MMI SD Card and reinserting it did not fixed this problem hence decided to give it a factory reset. Post reset things started working again, and had no trouble thereafter.

The Tirupati town coverage was good, it was able to guide us to all the destinations including the temple.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you were not *driving* at a steady sedate 50!

I don't know whether MMI has a speed limit warning. Using an MMI map on <don't remember which UI>, I remember the UI warning me of crossing 80Kmph on Mysore Road, and 50Kmph in City (it so irritating, I switched that pesky warning thing off! :()
I use Sygic maps, how they arrive ETA is by calculating the remaining distance and dividing it by speed limit on the same. Speed limit is mentioned as 50Kmph across most of NH in Sygic. Once you cross 10kmph above speed limit (60Kmph) device starts beeping for a while.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Excellent review. I have been using this exact device for around 4 months now but not driven as much as you have. IMO GPS devices have their limits and specially fail when there are "soft obstructions or diversions" like the one you mentioned about going through army camps. One needs to rely sometimes on human help as well as one's own wits to take decisions on the route. Given all that the GPS is an invaluable tool specially when someone is traveling to a new place. I generally stop and confirm whenever I am not too sure like when I did once I was entering the ordnance area in Jabalpur and confirmed with the guard there who said we could go ahead. I generally don't put blind faith on the device. I don't think these devices will ever attain such perfection. Even in the US I remember, I was using a Garmin and was taking me right through a US military installation in New Hampshire. Thankfully a marine stepped out and quite unlike the Indian Army personnel very politely told us we were going the wrong way and showed us the right one .

Another thing I do is study the map and lay of the land using Google Maps as well as the MMI web version to identify way points and markers and keep a note of them. Based on this I create a route in the GPS device based on way points instead of doing a point to point thing. That way, I can make the device take me through known bypasses or through less congested parts of the city. It worked very well when I was going through Jabalpur as on this route I had marked 4/5 way points just in Jabalpur city itself on the route taking me through the outskirts of Jabalpur without going through Jabalpur proper. Saved me a lot of time and I was able to cross Jabalpur in 10-15 minutes during peak traffic hours.

The main problem I have faced with the device is mine takes a long time to get a lock about 4/5 minutes sometimes. Only twice the device has shown me that I am in the middle of nowhere although I was driving on a road taking me to NH75. That probably was because this road was a new one. Otherwise I have found maps and way points on the device pretty accurate. I also loaded the version 7.0 of the maps but yet to test the device. I am sincerely hoping they have fixed the slow locking issue.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 14:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
... Speed limit is mentioned as 50Kmph across most of NH in Sygic. ...
Not Sygic - this is data in the 'map', the db supplied by MMI in it's map file. Sygic only picks the number written there (speed for that road from Class of that road) and uses it for calculations and alerts.

Sygic UK map, and Garmin US map, have the correct speed indication for every road, since a traffic diversion or bypass recalculates the ETA correctly (have experienced it). If there is an overriding default in operation - as opposed to speed for every road - it will not calculate ETA correctly.

That basically means the MMI maps have 50Kmph by default. Maybe they didn't bother filling in that data road-wise in the quest for completing the coverage.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That basically means the MMI maps have 50Kmph by default. Maybe they didn't bother filling in that data road-wise in the quest for completing the coverage.
Yes, it has to be that way. Since I have noticed that for newly constructed (around 2 yr old) NH-17 byepass in Calicut speed limit was 70Kmph from the very first day they came up with it; atleast it was never 50Kmph. However if you check map it displays it as 50Kmph.

Same way for parts of Bangalore- Mysore road it displays 50Kmph, whereas the road signs display it from values ranging from 80Kmph/ 60Kmph/ 30Kmph.
This is for Navteq map data.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 16:40   #24
BHPian

That's an excellent review. Thank you for putting this together!

All the issues you mentioned are spot on. I used the devise for couple of weeks (my friend bought it and I used it as a trial) and found it so buggy, that I would rather prefer asking the cabbies/ pedestrians for the exact route.

And of late, I found the Google maps on my Android phone to be more accurate and helpful. Of course, as suggested, I first plan the route to the destination, mark the major cities/towns in between and then set the maps on my devise. That makes it more accurate.

No wonder, the MMI maps, as a product, has not succeeded as they would have wanted to.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
... I would rather prefer asking the cabbies/ pedestrians for the exact route. ...
Not in Bangalore - you might land up going in circles! Almost none of the cabbies (and auto-drivers) are native Bangaloreans, and none of them actually know their way around. They themselves ask their passengers to tell them the route.

And pedestrians will take pity at your plight and actually suggest that you take the bus (unless they have already told you to keep going straight and take the nth left or right)!!!
Old 24th April 2012, 20:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Points to Note:

- MMI does not provide any s/w for route planning.
- You have the MMI maps online, find the lat/long co-ordinates and then feed it to the device
- Trip logs (tracks) or elevation profiles, timing details and related statistics can be seen in Google Earth after one downloads it to a PC.

- Thanks to Ravi for the details.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:43   #27
BHPian

I have a Mapmyindia navigator, Google live navigation (via brut maps) and Navigon/Navteq map installed on Andriod phone and Nokia Ovi map in a Nokia phone.

Google live navigation is the best followed by Ovi maps in terms of user experience. Navteq map coverage in India is not good.

Though they cover lot of states, MapmyIndia is pretty average in terms of map accuracy and route computing. Many times, you will be asked to turn left or right where there is no road going to left or right. Navigator would take you through the shortest route though the route itself is very narrow or non-motorable.

Last edited by B103 : 25th April 2012 at 21:48.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 04:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec2152 View Post
Hello folks,
I had purchased a MMI GPS navigator VX140s

Model: VX140S, runs on Windows CE 6.0 operating system.

Map version: 6.0.
Excellent review and thanks for the detailed bug report.

It seems MMI guys heard you loud and clear and have withdrawn this model from their website - it says "out of stock"

I doubt if a map upgrade can fix the audio nav 'not firing' when a turn is due.
I had noticed a similar issue with the Danew PND bundled with MMI maps. BTW, this model is nowhere on MMI's website. Looks like MMI wants to be the generic maps provider for just about any make/model that runs Windows CE OS and has a card slot.

I suggest you apply the latest firmware on the VX140S. It's a good thing that you are choosing intermediate destinations; this will consume less memory (VX140s has 64 MB RAM) and leave enough free memory to assist other CPU intensive tasks like audio announcements. Also, highest map zoom level eats up more CPU cycles, so try zooming out a notch.

To improve the audio quality, get a paper egg tray (those available in malls packed with 6 eggs), cut out a single semi-circle and pierce some holes in the centre. Now attach this to the PND speaker which is usually located at the back, leaving some gap at the bottom.

I have a query for tech gurus ... Most PND available in India are Chinese made and still use the SirfAtlasIV chipset + SirfStarIII GPS module that was launched in 2006. Is there any PND available that has the latest SiRFStarIV module? This one is supposed to consumes 60% less power, extending the battery life upto 6 hours - just one of the many other benefits but this one matters to me the most.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I have a query for tech gurus ... Most PND available in India are Chinese made///....
Going further, is it possible to use MMI maps on a generic PND running on Windows CE?

I am thinking on buying something like this > 6" LCD Windows CE 6.0 Core 500MHz GPS Navigator w/FM Transmitter + Built-in 4GB Memory USA Map - Free Shipping - DealExtreme and then use MMI software.

Secondly, and more importantly, I cant seem to figure out from where I can buy the MMI map in SD card. Or do these guys only sell the bundle.

Sorry if I appear completely dumb here.
drive_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 01:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post

Secondly, and more importantly, I cant seem to figure out from where I can buy the MMI map in SD card. Or do these guys only sell the bundle.

Sorry if I appear completely dumb here.
The link below specifically says "you will get SD card with MapmyIndia maps for Garmin device" and lists the compatible PNDs of Garmin
Maps for Garmin GPS Navigation devices from MapmyIndia

But I have seen non-MMI and non-Garmin PNDs using MMI maps so the maps are generic in that sense. The only deterrent being the high cost = 7000/-
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote