Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th May 2012, 22:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Verna SX : ICE options for ~75K

Thanks a lot Navin for taking time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

If you want to retain the stock look and steering controls one option is a DSP processor from Alpine, RF, JBL, etc. these processors have limitations compared to HUs in their price range.
Could you please throw some light on this (how it works) and also suggest me a good one out of these.

Quote:

If you find you need to upgrade from this I would get front components and maybe a 4 ch, amp.
Couple of Questions
4 channel amp on top of the monoblock or instead of the monoblock?
Coz if I get the 4 channel amp and only 1 pair of front components, would the rear stock speakers be driven by the other 2 channels? Or just get the front components and sub driven by the 4 ch amp?
maverick236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 01:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick236
Thanks a lot Navin for taking time.

Could you please throw some light on this (how it works) and also suggest me a good one out of these.

Couple of Questions
4 channel amp on top of the monoblock or instead of the monoblock?
Coz if I get the 4 channel amp and only 1 pair of front components, would the rear stock speakers be driven by the other 2 channels? Or just get the front components and sub driven by the 4 ch amp?
DSPs like the Alpine 550/660, Rockford 360. jBL MS8, etc have a microphone and a set of test tones which help them equalise to a pre-set set of curves. I found the early 360 to have hiss. My wife uses the Alpine. We found that the preset curves were too forward and the bass time alignment put the bass near the fear shift instead out near the windscreen. So we tricked the Alpine by push the tweeter response down using the XO and placing the microphone near the headrests.

A 4 ch. amp can be used to drive front components and a sub. I like to separate the bass amp from the the mid-hf amp as bass has a lot of energy and if this bass energy causes the bass amp to clip the mid-hf is not affected. Remember the ear is most sensitive between 200 and 4000 Hz.

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2012 at 01:53.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 01:59   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up
Hi Maverick and others!

I am also getting delivery of my Verna SX next week.
I too am planning to upgrade the ICE, however i want to retain the HU.

I have the below equipment already which was taken out from my swift before selling:
- 4 Channel Amp - Ground Zero
- Monoblock Amp - Kicker
- 12" Subwoofer - round Zero.

Can someone let me know if it is possible to hook the above things to the existing equipment(mainly the HU)?

I plan to upgrade speakers with components too, but i want to use the existing space for them.
The OE HU does not have pre outs. To connect a mono lock and a 4 channel amp you would need a processor that takes 4 speaker level inputs and converts them into 4.1 pre out level signals. There are many processors that do just this, some that even EQ and TA the channels,
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 22:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
DSPs like the Alpine 550/660, Rockford 360. jBL MS8, etc have a microphone and a set of test tones which help them equalise to a pre-set set of curves. I found the early 360 to have hiss. My wife uses the Alpine. We found that the preset curves were too forward and the bass time alignment put the bass near the fear shift instead out near the windscreen. So we tricked the Alpine by push the tweeter response down using the XO and placing the microphone near the headrests.
Terrific inputs. I am now seriously considering the processor. Will have to check the availability here though. Alpines are very expensive ( was looking at alpine 800). Am looking at jbl ms8 as of now.

Will post more updates in a day or 2 as I have to zero on the Sub and wiring
Old 30th May 2012, 00:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick236 View Post
Terrific inputs. I am now seriously considering the processor. Will have to check the availability here though. Alpines are very expensive ( was looking at alpine 800). Am looking at jbl ms8 as of now.
Most processors have one serious drawback. Most do not remember your settings if the battery is removed for servicing the car. so everytime your car goes for a service where the battery is removed you have to reset this via the painfull microphone method. HUs like the 9887 are easier to set up but rob the car of it's stock look.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Most processors have one serious drawback. Most do not remember your settings if the battery is removed for servicing the car. so everytime your car goes for a service where the battery is removed you have to reset this via the painfull microphone method. HUs like the 9887 are easier to set up but rob the car of it's stock look.
Oooh...
Interesting. So, I should start becoming a tuning expert now
Old 30th May 2012, 13:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oooh...
Interesting. So, I should start becoming a tuning expert now
Not really. Your installer should be able to do this for you. My installer does.
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:44   #23
BHPian

The first step tomorrow -
Getting the current ICE shifted to my wife's car.
The installer says that existing wiring could not be used - RCA/amp/speaker wire
Says there could be hiss/noise.
Is it true?

Last edited by maverick236 : 2nd June 2012 at 16:46.
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
RCA/amp/speaker wire
I would use fresh RCA wire at the least. Also given that the door speaker wires get pulled and pushed through crevices they might get damaged when being pulled out anyway.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
DSPs like the Alpine 550/660, Rockford 360. jBL MS8, etc have a microphone and a set of test tones which help them equalise to a pre-set set of curves. I found the early 360 to have hiss.
Navin, 550/660 are not available and was going through the reviews online. Had seen some gr8 reviews for PXA800 thou. Most likely going for it thou its a bit on the expensive side. (I can use it for my future vehicles too). The primary concern is the tuning. I'm not sure if anyone here is capable to tuning the system, and that issue is overall not just with this Alpine. Cant help it thou :(

Quote:
I would use fresh RCA wire at the least. Also given that the door speaker wires get pulled and pushed through crevices they might get damaged when being pulled out anyway.
Got the system moved to my wifey's car yesterday. The Stinger wiring and Monster RCAs came out clean (lucky me). So, used the same set of wiring and the audio is as good as it has been. ThanQ.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The primary concern is the tuning. I'm not sure if anyone here is capable to tuning the system, and that issue is overall not just with this Alpine. Cant help it thou :(
If you are satisfied with the stock tuning preset options then tuning is quite easy. It is only when you need to trick the DSP processor into tuning the bass a little more or a moving time alignment a few inches is where you need a tuner who knows what he is doing.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Hi Maverick and others!

I am also getting delivery of my Verna SX next week.
I too am planning to upgrade the ICE, however i want to retain the HU.

I have the below equipment already which was taken out from my swift before selling:
- 4 Channel Amp - Ground Zero
- Monoblock Amp - Kicker
- 12" Subwoofer - round Zero.

Can someone let me know if it is possible to hook the above things to the existing equipment(mainly the HU)?

I plan to upgrade speakers with components too, but i want to use the existing space for them.
Revved_up
Have you upgraded your ICE?
If yes, how does it sound and your feedback on the stock HU and audio would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Revved_up
Have you upgraded your ICE?
If yes, how does it sound and your feedback on the stock HU and audio would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
I got delivery of my car on 3 June. I have a 4 channel amp and a monoblock amp+woofer lying with me from my previous car, but havent still got the courage to rip apart the car and install them.
For now, i am pretty satisfied with the stock setup and have postponed the ICE upgrade for some time now.

Another factor has been that ICE upgrade will have a direct impact on the car waranty, thats also a reason why i have been somewhat reluctant.
revved_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 13:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
... ICE upgrade will have a direct impact on the car waranty, thats also a reason why i have been somewhat reluctant.
No it won't, even if you use an Line Output Converter with the OE HU to add an amp.

Please do read the Warranty clauses yourself. Even if some of the clauses are imprecise, open-ended or ambiguous, none of them actually mean "warranty will be void if you put in your own ICE". That is because the ICE upgrade does not touch the harness of the car, which is the closest the warranty can complain about.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 10:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If you are satisfied with the stock tuning preset options then tuning is quite easy. It is only when you need to trick the DSP processor into tuning the bass a little more or a moving time alignment a few inches is where you need a tuner who knows what he is doing.
Getting my car tomorrow. Audio install might happen on Thursday most likely.
1 quick question - Which is the best place to have the sound processor setup?
Any other last minute checks or tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks