Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 27th January 2015, 19:28   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Did you try using the "Device->Send to Device" menu option ? Or is it not working for you ? In that case, does it display any error ?
Hi NPV,

Thanks for swift reply. I tried the "send to device" option in Basecamp & I can even see the trip stored in the internal storage of the device on the Basecamp software, but I don't know where in the device to locate the customised trip that I've sent when using the device independently or unconnected to the computer.

Thanks.
penpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 21:11   #197
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
I tried the "send to device" option in Basecamp & I can even see the trip stored in the internal storage of the device on the Basecamp software, but I don't know where in the device to locate the customised trip that I've sent when using the device independently or unconnected to the computer.
Try this on the device - select Where to, then Trip Planner. You should now be able to see the route that you sent to the device. Select it to make it the active route.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 09:30   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Try this on the device - select Where to, then Trip Planner
In my device there is no Trip Planner option. Under Where To, only these options are there: Points of interest, Recently Found, Favourites, House Search, Go Home, Go to Office, Phone Number, Travel Guide, Cities, Browse Map, Junction, Coordinates and Extras. I've checked these options and the trip doesn't appear in them.

My device software version is 2.50 with India map version 2014.30.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:02   #199
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi

As said earlier I recent bought Nuvi 42LM. I made good use of it and felt that it was very reliable during my recent trip to Alwar.
When we started the trip, we were cautious and cross-checked that village road shown by Nuvi is good enough for destination and Yes it was and at the end of day 2 we became blind follower of Nuvi Map.
Than, the problem strikes.

We visited our last sight-seeing spot as planned, place being Bala Kila in Alwar and commenced our return Journey to Delhi.
Pressed Home and took Nuvi for granted, only to be taken to narrow walled city road, which is outbound (No Entry) for 4 Wheeler's as 2 cars cannot cross after sides full of 2 wheelers parked.
The No entry rule saved us as no cars came in our way but with a line of incoming 2 wheeler traffic and 100s of 2 bikes following our Fortuner, looked like a procession and made a spectacular show.
At the end, I showed patience and covered a distance of 2 km in 20 minutes.
Last 100 mts, were the lane joined the Chowk/crossing took 10 minutes due to increase in inflow of bikes.

Lesson learnt- Nuvi will not warn you on No Entry Roads.
I hope they have mapped one-way Road in Gurgaon/Mumbai.
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 22:29   #200
BHPian

I had the same experience in tirupati. I had a chance to escape but followed the nuvi and caused a traffic jam and took me about 30 mins to get out of an extremely narrow bazaar road. Was constantly apologizing to bikers and finally a cop. Got to mix some common sense with the nuvi on indian roads.
Have used it in various geographies and advantage is i dont need a data plan when abroad.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 00:16   #201
Senior - BHPian

To all the users facing the problems with the device leading to narrow roads etc is there no option to select for eg the fastest route etc ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 17:36   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Was constantly apologizing to bikers and finally a cop. Got to mix some common sense with the nuvi on indian roads.
I can understand your pain. Recently in Hyderabad my nuvi kept asking me jump off a flyover to take a left turn and then advised me to drive through a wall!

I switched over to Google Navigation in the city which finally got me out of Hyderabad and onto NH-9.
Old 20th April 2015, 16:52   #203
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Has anyone upgraded the maps to 2015.10 in their Garmin device? I upgraded it today in my 2465LM. However after the installation, the map does not get displayed on the device (looks like it does not detect the new map). The map is present physically in the SD card. So I went back to 2014.30.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 09:12   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Has anyone upgraded the maps to 2015.10 in their Garmin device? I upgraded it today in my 2465LM. However after the installation, the map does not get displayed on the device (looks like it does not detect the new map). The map is present physically in the SD card. So I went back to 2014.30.
For the past week plus Garmin India is talking about 2015.20. It drops you into the Taiwan site, and then has you upgrade the communicator, and (I do not remember which route) the system software. However, 2015.20 is missing.

Also, I am now thinking of changing my 2465LM. There are too many lines on the screen. What good options in 4.3 or 5". Must be LM and I am price sensitive.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 13:18   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For the past week plus Garmin India is talking about 2015.20. It drops you into the Taiwan site, and then has you upgrade the communicator, and (I do not remember which route) the system software. However, 2015.20 is missing.
Sir,
I downloaded 2015.20 last week from Taiwan site.

After spending hours in trying to get it working with either of the browsers - Firefox, Chrome, IE 11, the only way I could get it to download the 2015.20 (thereby bypassing the error with Garmin communicator plugin not being recognized), is by adding site "garmin.com.tw" to "Compatibility View Settings" in IE 11.

Please check if it works for you.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 14:26   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

@vaasu; I have no issues with Garmin working in Chrome. I hav not used IE for ages, so can you please elaborate.
Old 1st July 2015, 15:11   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

I did get in. Nothing available - either map is current or illegal device. Was it the OS update which is the issue.
Old 1st July 2015, 15:38   #208
MSC
BHPian

In these days of smartphones, it has really become obsolete to invest in a gps map unit. Even low end Android Smartphones have got Google maps which is one among the best.
In my opinion, if you have navigation embedded into your AV unit its very well and good. Otherwise Google maps on cellphone is the best companion.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:25   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@vaasu; I have no issues with Garmin working in Chrome. I hav not used IE for ages, so can you please elaborate.
I am listing down the steps below which worked for me.

1. Update compatibility view settings in IE 11. I am using Win 7.
Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-garmin0.jpg

2. Go to http://www.garmin.co.in/mapupdate/
Select India as the region

3. Click on 2015.20 map download

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-garmin1.jpg

4. Connect your GPS and click Next

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-garmin2.jpg

5. If you have correct version of Garmin communicator plugin, you should see your device available for map upgrade. Click Next

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-garmin3.jpg

6. Next page will ask you to log into your Garmin account. Once you login, map is available for unlock and download.

Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-garmin4.jpg

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:45   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

@vaasu; I think I may have to give it a miss. The OS upgrade was nuvi2465_IN_520 so looks perfectly in order. In fact it added a lot of Indian languages to the pack. I am just wondering whether if you have 2015.10 it skips the .20 version.