Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd December 2015, 22:39   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
...Or is it better to simply stay on 2015.10 till the next update?
2015.20 is same as 2015.10 except for a few POIs, which is possibly the reason it doesn't update (as also pointed out by sgiitk sir in earlier post).
Wait for next update to see if there are any issues with your device s/w itself.
deepv is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 05:40   #242
BHPian

Bought Garmin Nuvi 42 LM Navigator from Amazon India @Rs 5999. Unpacked carton and everything is in good condition.
Setup:
Downloaded Garmin Express and registered Garmin.Created my Garmin a/c.
Downloaded Communicator plugin and installed.
Switched on device and found battery level was low and charged it from regular mobile charger. Under Maps/Info,found following maps installed.
1.CN SGMY NT 2015.20. Malsing
2.CN India NTU 2015.20.Here
Software version is 2.3
Now as per Garmin.in, under Map Update, Garmin City Navigator India NT 2015.40 is mentioned for download.After clicking Download,I am taken to myGarmin page and asked to sign-in and connect Garmin to PC, which I did. Now the page says Garmin Communicator Plug-in is not installed(though it is already installed).went ahead and clicked GCP and page now said,latest GCP v 4.2.0.0 is installed
Garmin Express doesn't show the already installed maps Ind 2015.20(Here)and SGMY 2015.20 Malsing.Because of this loop I am unable to download/update India NT.2015.40 maps from Garmin.in site.
How do I go about to download/install of v 40. How is v40 different from v20 Here maps?
Help requested by users as I wish to take a trial drive.
Thanks
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 06:16   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Now the page says Garmin Communicator Plug-in is not installed(though it is already installed).went ahead and clicked GCP and page now said,latest GCP v 4.2.0.0 is installed
You might want to check post #209 in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post3743648 (Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation))

Thanks.
vaasu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2016, 09:25   #244
BHPian

Thanks a lot vaasu. I followed the above procedure and glad to inform that both Unlock code and Download link for the available update were displayed. Using Download link.Now download of update is u/p.
File size is 1.08 GB and 2.43 GB free on device. It is going to take around ~6Hrs.

Last edited by virgopal : 1st January 2016 at 09:26. Reason: correction
Old 1st January 2016, 14:44   #245
BHPian

Update India NT 2015.40 Here maps downloaded in 2 hrs.I have installed it n my Garmin.
It has overwritten 2015 v20 maps.
Thanks for the help. Will try a drive soon and give my feedback
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:39   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Both my systems are Windows 10. I could download Communicator 4.20 and then zilch. Browsing about somewhere I found they want the prehistoric Win 7!!

When will Garmin come into the modern world? There eems to be no other way to download the maps either, since installation requires the License to be somewhere in the system.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd January 2016 at 11:48.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:05   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
When will Garmin come into the modern world? There eems to be no other way to download the maps either, since installation requires the License to be somewhere in the system.
If we know the file name, we can download directly from Garmins ftp site
http://download.garmin.com/in/download/Map/201540/
I prefer this because the other one via app is prone to failure after a long download.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:40   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I prefer this because the other one via app is prone to failure after a long download.
Even ...Garmin.com/in is not working. So either the sir is down or something funny. afaik the India maps sit somewhere on garmin.com.tw

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd January 2016 at 12:49.
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:10   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone post the filename. This <sitename> as defined is saying file not found.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:06   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Borrowed a friends Win 7 Dell. Still could not get the file. I was working in IE since both Chrome and Firefox has NPAPI/PPAPI issues. I needed the Garmin USB drivers (2311) before I could see the device. I was unable to log in to mygarmin.com, or mygarmin.com.tw! I then installed the USB drivers in my Win10 system, and was able to see the device there also.

Any ideas as what to do next!! Obviously I cannot retain my colleagues Win 7 system indefinitely.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd January 2016 at 19:08.
Old 4th January 2016, 16:29   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally managed using my own System under Windows 10 64-bit. Of course Chrome and Firefox will not work, having stopped support of NPAPI code. MS Edge will also not work, so go back to Internet Explorer,and the crux is Compatibility Mode. <Alt X> to get access, and then set the compatibility mode for both garmin.com.tw, and garmin.com. then follow vasoo's instructions. Again a login into Garmin.tw is tricky, and it took me over half a dozen tries, before I managed. Then the download (approx 1hr 10 min on my 2Mbps link) went smoothly. IE shouted its suspicions about the file at the end, accept the file, and then when you try and execute Windows shouts about an unknown executable. Allow it and it runs and installs on the Garmin device. Thanks Vasoo once again!

I had realized that for the past two years I have been working on a Windows 8.1 system, warnings from Garmin notwithstanding. So now we know it works with Windows 10 as well.
Old 4th January 2016, 21:46   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
crux is Compatibility Mode.
Sir, Good catch! What's the file name? Is it working with the url I mentioned?
Old 5th January 2016, 08:46   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Good catch! What's the file name? Is it working with the url I mentioned?
It is 3453529.exe. However, with the compatibility enabled the download was pretty smooth. I have a Den 2Mbps connection and while it did take 1 hr 10 min it went smoothly. The only catch is logging into the .tw site. May take quite a few attempts. Password is stored in gamnin.com and retrieved by Taiwan!!

Also, with Win10 there is no warning about the USB drivers now 2.3.1.1, go, get and install them before getting communicator. The US site still wants you to get the express, a waste as usual!.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th January 2016 at 08:48.
Old 5th January 2016, 08:55   #254
Team-BHP Support

A General comment on map updates:

I think coverage has reached a stage, where most of the places within cities and highway road trips, including most internal roads have been cartographed. A case in point, I still use at least 5-6 year old maps, and still see them to locate accurately. And I regularly explore many many unexplored roads.

So beside the point that update is good, we may not need them as urgent as we think.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 09:43   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think coverage has reached a stage, where most of the places within cities and highway road trips, including most internal roads have been cartographed.
There are many new flyovers and bridges being built which show up as "driving on trail" even in my India 2015.20 update that I have. Likewise the one ways that spring up. Doesn't hurt to have the latest but agree may not be very beneficial, depending on where you live/commute.