Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th January 2016, 10:20   #256
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
There are many new flyovers and bridges being built which show up as "driving on trail" even in my India 2015.20 update that I have. Likewise the one ways that spring up. Doesn't hurt to have the latest but agree may not be very beneficial, depending on where you live/commute.
I think thats more to do with source provider. Garmin Vs MMI Vs others. I use an MMI and have not change for quite some time. Only things I miss are bypass options for 4-lane are not accounted.

Even I agree that it does not hurt to have the latest. All I am saying is, most of the routes are marked. So that, way, it still is manageable.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 11:50   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think thats more to do with source provider. Garmin Vs MMI Vs others. I use an MMI and have not change for quite some time. Only things I miss are bypass options for 4-lane are not accounted.
India is still not fully digitized, so GSI maps alone will not do.

I will have to check whether v 2015.40 shows the Ganga Barrage route to Lucknow or not!! Litmus test for me. I have been using this route for well over two years to get on to NH25. As I have said many times, in town, local knowledge beats any GPS!

Has Garmin gone real time (seems to be through the mobile):
I checked out 2567LM (₹17990 list) and found

Smartphone Link is a free mobile app that connects your nüvi 2567LM with your iPhone® or Android™ smartphone. To send locations/ addresses and to view weather forecast.

Live Traffic
Use mobile phone data connection, get real-time traffic information and take the most efficient route.

This is missing on 55LM ₹10990 list, even though it has a marginally larger screen.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 13:23   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is 3453529.exe.
Thanks, this worked for me.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 12:57   #259
BHPian

Sorry if this question has been posted earlier.

I am planning to invest in a good garmin gps (free life time maps) for highway drives, Please suggest a good model, my budget is 10k INR.

Thanks in advance.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 19:19   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
planning to invest in a good garmin gps (free life time maps) for highway drives, Please suggest a good model, my budget is 10k INR.
I always go to Amazon.com and look at the top 20 (100) list and choose from there. This is how I make my decisions
For your reference, you can check the Garmin models here
Though these are US specific, I still use them to choose the model/hardware/platform as an example.
diyguy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 17:29   #261
BHPian

I was in the UK recently and used my Garmin there. After return and copying the India maps onto the SD card, the time did not automatically change on the device. This is the first time I have had to set the time manually. Where ever I've taken it and on bringing back, never did I touch the time or setting of any sort. Could it be I didn't copy the maps back properly? I have only two SD cards and hence tend to backup maps to disk and copy back when needed.
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 18:35   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A General comment on map updates:

I think coverage has reached a stage, where most of the places within cities and highway road trips, including most internal roads have been cartographed. A case in point, I still use at least 5-6 year old maps, and still see them to locate accurately. And I regularly explore many many unexplored roads.

So beside the point that update is good, we may not need them as urgent as we think.
We used "GOOJLE BABA" Maps en route some scenic roads to Pondicherry and back a week ago. Even these appear to be mapped out now.
Im no longer sure it is necessary to use a separate navigation device unless one is venturing really into the wilderness where there are no mobile towers and things and one absolutely has to reply only on the satnav...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 19:29   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im no longer sure it is necessary to use a separate navigation device unless one is venturing really into the wilderness where there are no mobile towers and things and one absolutely has to reply only on the satnav
I agree. But I still prefer the Garmin to my phone for navigation. I usually like to keep the away from Navigation mode and use it more for validating once in a while. But other wise its always the dedicated device.

And also as I have been mentioning earlier the device is used more for validating my own route and collect routing stats. Only between two designated way points, I use it for real navigation.
Old 27th August 2016, 19:35   #264
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. But I still prefer the Garmin to my phone for navigation. I usually like to keep the away from Navigation mode and use it more for validating once in a while. But other wise its always the dedicated device.

And also as I have been mentioning earlier the device is used more for validating my own route and collect routing stats. Only between two designated way points, I use it for real navigation.
Ampere, no offence, but I find Garmin too outdated... the POIs are not upto the mark, the information is not updated. Totally stopped using PNDs, as Google maps are far superior.
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 19:54   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Ampere, no offence, but I find Garmin too outdated... the POIs are not upto the mark, the information is not updated. Totally stopped using PNDs, as Google maps are far superior.
I dont deny that at all!

Thats why I meant I use Garmin more as a validation of my own routing. I dont use it to lead me the way. I only like it as a separate gadget. No doubt Google maps are fantastic. And I use them to cross-reference all the time.

But its only for highways, I use the Garmin. More so because, I dont want to stop at a point and search where next to go. That part of analysis I do it on a PC/MAC and transfer that route to Garmin. And then program Garmin to lead me through that route only. So in a way, Garmin just follows what I want it to do.
Old 28th August 2016, 15:08   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

The issue is that if you want a stand alone system them the best option is Garmin. MMI hardware in junk. My son has a Honda City AVI with a in-built multi-function system. Drive for 30 minutes and a Navigation hang up is guaranteed. I have never had a Garmin unit hang up on me. Old but Gold!!

My main annoyance with Garmin is the lousy update process. No support for NPAPI systems like Chrome, Firefox etc. You are forced to go down to Internet Explorer on Windoze. This is the first time I ungraded using my Mac. using Safari I got a straight download, no hassles. Then I moved to file (also PW file) to my Lenovo Win 10 system and the install was also painless.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 12:12   #267
BHPian

Hi folks .. has anyone updated maps on Garmin 42LM (any Garmin for that matter) lately/last few months?
Please do share the experience and stability, I haven't done update since more than a year and a half.
It works fine for highway usage (along with Google Maps for city and POIs), was wondering whether update is worth a trial.
deepv is offline   Reply With Quote