Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 8th November 2012, 00:29   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I have a noobie question.

Thanks in advance for your answers.ly in India?
Hi AlphaKilo, I will try to answer your queries:

1. Can we buy the GPS handset in Europe(Garmin/TomTom/Becker etc. etc.) and use the memory card with indian maps (to drive in India) or is it necessary to buy everything only in India?

Yes, you can buy a MicroSD Card compatible unit anywhere and load the maps for a specific region (if they are available from a vendor) on a MicroSD and use it.

And no, it is not necessary to buy everything in India.

2. What about the Updates?

Check this weblink I also shared with tj123, go through it and you will have better understanding of how this whole thing is supposed to works.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=65217&ra=true

Regards,
Dharmesh
dharmeshmahajan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 00:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Where can we buy Nuvi 50Lm in Bangalore? Preferrably near Indiranagar, koramangala area?
Any idea if I can get some discounts on that? Junglee is selling this for Rs 9700/-

A quick reply is highly appreciated
Though it does not matter now as you have already ordered it, I still wonder why we get almost everything (read LED tvs/Cars/Electronics gadgets etc) expensive compared to other countries. I bought Nuvi50LM from BestBuy showroom at ~140 US$ around 4 months back. I just checked the prices today when I saw your post and got the following numbers for the day (I think after taxes, it must come to same amount that I paid). You can see the difference yourself. After taxes, it must be somewhere around ~140$ or slightly less.

Anyways, welcome to the Garmin user's club. Wonder why we are still categorized as "Developing" nations when we spend more money for same stuff compared to those in "Developed" nations. That is what happen when country has a useless group of people running the country and stupid tax laws (That revised 35,000 Rs slab for bringing stuff duty free from abroad shows intelligence level of those who revised a decade old slab of 25,000 Rs., really 10,000 Rs increase after 10 years or so )

Regards,
Dharmesh
Attached Thumbnails
Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation)-2.jpg  

dharmeshmahajan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 00:49   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Hi AlphaKilo, I will try to answer your queries:
Thanks a ton Dharmesh. I was thinking of buying a Garmin/TomTom (TomTom is quite preferred in Europe) handset (car navi with holder) from Germany for my brother in law. Hence, was not sure if it would be useful for him in India. I believe your answers have cleared my doubts. I have gone through the Garmin india site, only then arose my confusion as to how compatible it would be when already India specific devices exists. I don't think TomTom has Memory card options.

Do you know any open source maps like "Map my india" application that could work on a memory card in a GPS handset? or do we need Internet/3G through a SIM for it to remain connected to the internet?

Thanks again for your info's.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I just bought nuvi50LM online at SnapDeal.com.

My initial observation (based on just 5 km of driving and half an hour of offline examination) is that the maps cover most major roads in Jamshedpur and large number of POI. Street level addresses are not available for Jamshedpur and smaller roads / lanes are not listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Garmin are not called the Mercedes of GPS for nothing. You should get it in India and this way get lifetime map upgrades included. They are very reliable and the maps are also good.
My brand new Garmin nuvi 50LM, which is just 3 days old and has been used for 1 hour or so cumulatively, suddenly stopped displaying maps when I was using it inside my home to plan a route in offline (no GPS) mode. I switched it off using the on/off button. Thereafter, it is not switching on. I tried both short and long presses of the on/off button.

The device was almost fully charged when it went kaput. Subsequent to the failure I connected it to the car charger with the hope of reviving it, but in vain. Then I connected it to my computer with a USB cable, but the device remains dead.

I have registered a complaint online with Garmin. They are supposed to respond within 3 days. But I'm leaving Jamshedpur for Delhi (via Kanpur) in my brand new XUV-500 after 2 days. Looks like I'll have to do without GPS for this trip.

Garmin is known as Mercedes of GPS?? [No disrespect meant to SGIITK; probably (and hopefully) what I'm facing is a rare occurrence.]

Last edited by debuda : 9th November 2012 at 23:53.
debuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 00:41   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Anyways, welcome to the Garmin user's club. Wonder why we are still categorized as "Developing" nations when we spend more money for same stuff compared to those in "Developed" nations. That is what happen when country has a useless group of people running the country and stupid tax laws (That revised 35,000 Rs slab for bringing stuff duty free from abroad shows intelligence level of those who revised a decade old slab of 25,000 Rs., really 10,000 Rs increase after 10 years or so )

Regards,
Dharmesh
Most of the time even after paying higher price you don't get quality stuff here

@Dubuda :- I had a similar failure on my Garmin Nuvi50LM, just before a road-trip to Florida the Nuvi failed to boot-up and load maps. Luckily I was able to borrow it from my neighbor.

Last edited by tj123 : 10th November 2012 at 00:47.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 06:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
My brand new Garmin nuvi 50LM, which is just 3 days old and has been used for 1 hour or so cumulatively, suddenly stopped displaying maps when I was using it inside my home to plan a route in offline (no GPS) mode. I switched it off using the on/off button. Thereafter, it is not switching on. I tried both short and long presses of the on/off button.

Garmin is known as Mercedes of GPS?? [No disrespect meant to SGIITK; probably (and hopefully) what I'm facing is a rare occurrence.]
As suddenly and unexpectedly as my Garmin died, it got resurrected after a day! Now it's working fine. However, I'm still waiting for response from Garmin to my complaint.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
As suddenly and unexpectedly as my Garmin died, it got resurrected after a day! Now it's working fine. However, I'm still waiting for response from Garmin to my complaint.
Let us know the review after your trip to Delhi.

I was supposed to get the device today, but Blue dart has delayed the delivery by 2 days. Expected delivery date is Wednesday now.

Regards,
Arun
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 09:17   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Let us know the review after your trip to Delhi.

I was supposed to get the device today, but Blue dart has delayed the delivery by 2 days. Expected delivery date is Wednesday now.
I'm presently at Kanpur, having driven around 900 km in my XUV from Jamshedpur. The nuvi50LM is working wonderfully. It gave me correct information most of the time. On a couple of occasions, it goofed up a bit on the highway and advised me to take some state highways (SH) instead of continuing straight on NH2 (GT Road / Golden Quadrilateral). I have set the route mode to 'faster time' and not 'shortest distance'.

Inside Jamshedpur and Kanpur, the maps are reasonably detailed but I guess more detailed mapping work needs to be done in the smaller towns / cities of India. I'm waiting to reach Delhi where the GPS will be subjected to its acid test, with numerous roundabouts, clover leafs, flyovers and one-way streets. Will continue to report my experience.

Hope you get your GPS navigator soon. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:33   #69
BHPian

Got my Nuvi 50LM on Monday evening and has the test run in the night itself.

First drive was to Manyata embassy business park, in Bangalore. Had a tough time locating the place in the device. Some of the one ways are not mapped in the maps. The map suggest you to go straight, but redirects as you take the correct turn without following the GPS. Other than that it directs you properly to the place.

But on the return it took me through some other routes and took more than an hour to reach Indiranagar which normally is covered in 45 mins in normal traffic.

None of the latest changes like flyovers, one ways are not marked in the map. I think we need to wait for the next update.

BTW which is the latest version of map for Garmin for India maps? For me it shows as 2012.30. I read somewhere that the latest is 2012.20.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Nuvi 50LM on Monday evening and has the test run in the night itself.

First drive was to Manyata embassy business park, in Bangalore. Had a tough time locating the place in the device. Some of the one ways are not mapped in the maps. The map suggest you to go straight, but redirects as you take the correct turn without following the GPS. Other than that it directs you properly to the place.

But on the return it took me through some other routes and took more than an hour to reach Indiranagar which normally is covered in 45 mins in normal traffic.

None of the latest changes like flyovers, one ways are not marked in the map. I think we need to wait for the next update.

BTW which is the latest version of map for Garmin for India maps? For me it shows as 2012.30. I read somewhere that the latest is 2012.20.
ArunV -- Congrats on your new acquisition.

After using my nuvi50LM over 1350 km (from Jamshedpur to Delhi) I'm broadly satisfied. Satellite lock is very fast and stable. Maps have a long way to go, though. One cannot rely on them blindly, especially in small towns and cities. Maps of big cities / metros are fairly detailed. On the NH-2 I got confusing directions a few times. Even the Yamuna Expressway is not fully mapped.

Today I visited M/s Aerial Services Pvt Ltd at D-67, Defence Colony, New Delhi. I had been advised by Garmin to contact them to resolve the problem (which went away on its own) I earlier had with my Nuvi50LM. Aerial Services informed me that there is no service facility for Garmin in India. The devices have to be shipped to Taiwan for repairs / replacement under warranty. They also claimed that many 40LM and 50LM had been sold in India and all of them are working fine.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:11   #71
BHPian

Had the first test for my 50Lm over the weekend. Took me to Pondicherry and back without any hassle. All the roads were mapped correctly and deviation were correct.

Roamed around pondicherry also and the map were very well detailed.

Completely worth the money spent.
Old 26th November 2012, 14:43   #72
BHPian

Hi

Besides the blue tooth and some other features is there a lot a of diff between the 50 LM and 2565LM. Do both of them use the same map software.

Basically is it worth the additional 10 k

thanks
amidoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 00:03   #73
BHPian

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 50LM Review (GPS Navigation) Need Help

hi

Got my 50 LM and followed all the steps as per the quick start manual.

I registered the device and it confirmed the presence of malaysia and india maps. But after starting the device how do i tried to find the india maps but could not find the same. the option inside was for the Malaysian maps

i then followed instruction to download the india map but the after downloading the device gave the error that there is not enough space.

Am a loss to get the device going
Old 4th December 2012, 10:06   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi

Got my 50 LM and followed all the steps as per the quick start manual.

I registered the device and it confirmed the presence of malaysia and india maps. But after starting the device how do i tried to find the india maps but could not find the same. the option inside was for the Malaysian maps

i then followed instruction to download the india map but the after downloading the device gave the error that there is not enough space.

Am a loss to get the device going
What happens when you go out in the open and start the device and click View Map icon. Does it show any map?
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 20:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
What happens when you go out in the open and start the device and click View Map icon. Does it show any map?
no it does not show any maps. the only maps for selection are the Malaysian maps . the desktop software shows that the device has india maps but they are not visible on the device