Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th February 2008, 14:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
I was very curious to know what would happen to an LED if I applied 230V mains to it. So I thought I would try it. I took a green LED and put it into the mains socket at home. Then I ducked and switched on. I found that most of the green part had flown off.
When i tried that once , The LED stayed put, and i flew off . I was holding it at that time!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 14:35   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Towards the end , there was stuff all over the floor, and my Soldering iron, translucent white handle , came with a green LED inside , which i modded to blue, was lying on the floor. Must have been quite sleepy when i sat on it. My *** got burnt , and the pressure must have shorted out the LED /wiring in the handle, which went out with a bang and took the house's fuse with it

Quite painful that was....
Man this may be painful, but reading it I am in splits.
We all have burnt hands some time or other, but its the first time I have heard someone burning their behind with a soldering iron
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 14:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Man this may be painful, but reading it I am in splits.
We all have burnt hands some time or other, but its the first time I have heard someone burning their behind with a soldering iron
thankfully, didn't have to bear it for much. the bang made me jump up almost immediately
Old 13th February 2008, 15:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My first experience with things electrical was in class 8th when I put in the cordless phone battery in the mains and switched it on.
The battery exploded, the generator(there was a power cut) got overloaded and I could hear the rpm dropping momentarily and then the fuse did its job.
I never told anybody it was me. They just thought it was the fuse acting up.

After that I started doing electro chemistry, trying electrolysis with every metal I could find, and also trying to burn hydrogen, followed by a short period exploring how inflammable spirit is(my parents are docs, so there was no shortage of spirit et al.)
Thankfully before I could blow up the house(I had by now graduated to investigating how cool it is when you spray butane based compressed rexona deodorant on a naked flame), my interest shifted to electronics, and repairing old transistor radio's and making antennas just to catch PTVs english shows which were aired in the evening.
That time cable TV had just come, and all parents thought of it as an evil device to wean kids away from studies.
People in Jalandhar could get PTV easily, but in Ludhiana, you have to play around with the Antenna on sunny days, and cloudy days always ensured good reception.

then our neighbors got cable, and I tried kundi, and the cable operator complained to my parents.
So as a workaround I did a small cut, attached a copper wire strand to a tree branch, and connected my antenna to the tree(indirect biological kundi) and used to watch cable at night when everyone was sleeping.

Finally at college my passtime(much to the annoyance of my lab partners whose aim was to score 85% in every exam and keep studying whole his life) was to see how much current a power transistor could endure before blowing up.
But soon interests in all this waned, and now I do occasional soldering(I am very bad at it), and disassemble and reassemble PCs
I have even killed a motherboard with a screwdriver, overheated and damaged a couple of CPUs, and destroyed a hard drive by magnetic accidents.

Do not bring you electronic troubles to me(PC assembly etc.,) unless you want an explosion.
some thing similar happend with me too.we used to get medicine bottles -homoeo ones ,very small which we used to do electrolisis.i remember me and my brother playing with a a/c d/c converter.one end wrapped arround a carbon rod from a battery and the other used to make sparks when rubbed on the carbon rod.n -number of dancing led lights ,couple of amplifiers etc was also a part of my DIY.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 15:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
some thing similar happend with me too.we used to get medicine bottles -homoeo ones ,very small which we used to do electrolisis.i remember me and my brother playing with a a/c d/c converter.one end wrapped arround a carbon rod from a battery and the other used to make sparks when rubbed on the carbon rod.n -number of dancing led lights ,couple of amplifiers etc was also a part of my DIY.
ram
electrolysis with carbon rods is no fun, You should have tried out chrome , brass, and all the metals you could get your hands on. so many funny colours .

once did it for a whole day to make a home made hydrogen baloon. boy those were non existent back then..

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th February 2008 at 15:31.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

I clearly remember once in the hostel i wanted to find out if power can pass through a divider without tripping the line. Basically we were in Prep time and i was really bored so just took a divider and inserted it into the plug point in front of my desk. Switched on the point and it goes like Phatt!! I was shocked but luckily there was no trip which occured.

I remember one classmate who had a geometric box which had a bulb which switched on when the box was opened. That was really cool at that time(7th standard)
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 17:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

I remember my first solder iron, I was in the 5th std and my cousin gave me a radio kit and a folding solder iron, the kit came out good, I could not tune the dam thing cause I had no knowledge about tuning it than.... after that there were a lot of hilarious instants , like I tried to solder wires directly to a battery and it blew up, solder iron was left on the table turned ON and had gone out with friends a the wood table had big black spots on it.....and many more ....but I got hooked on to DIY ...not just electronics but lot of stuff.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 18:25   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't have any incidents with soldering irons, but ...

1975. The auditorium of Delhi College of Engg. (Kashmiri Gate at that time). Me and a bunch of classmates were rewiring the PA / Audio system of the auditorium, whose main wiring was only 50 years old at that time.

So, we had all the wires laid out and we were busy doing the various connections. I was up on a ladder, trying to connect a speaker box (DIY) up on the mantel. Wire strippers? Incisors - we were bionic people! So here I am taking the end of a wire and stripping the insulation and KABOOM! Next thing I realize I have fallen on the guys below and another guy is screaming AIIIEEEEE and going berzerk.

Turns out that the wire I went to strip thinking it was the speaker wire (in those days ALL wiring was 2-color twisted multi-core flex, the common household variety), had been mistakenly connected to the power socket box by someone who had thought it was the wire to his electric drill. Fortunately the stripping motion was down and outward, so the wire touched my teeth for a fraction of a second only. But, after I got the shock, the wire was thrown out of my hand and it fell on a poor unsuspecting fella who bore the brunt!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 18:55   #39
BHPian

OH...just reminds me of my days in school playing with vinegar et al to make a vulcano outta it for a science exhibition!!!!
I remember being gifted a mini electronics kit with wires and resistors and a spring kinda thingie breadboard!!!
Built an oscillator!!!
And offcourse there was also a DC motor kit in it!
Which I got bored of and left it in a corner of my house and then utilised it during my 11th standard Science Exhibition to create a HYDRO ELECTRIC POWER STATION!!
LOL...a SCALE MODEL kinda thing!!!
Still remember the time I used small plastic spoons and parachute coconut bottles to make a Turbine!!
Creativity at its best I Guess with uffcourse Budget in The head!!!
That fetched me a good GOLD MEDAL still have it and Remembering the good old days and I AM NOSTALGIC NOW!!!
Cheers!!!
babe_on_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 15:46   #40
BHPian

Oh well besides the usual tearing apart transistors/stereos and even my old BUSH TV... one of the memorable project i was involved was for this science competition in the 9th grade in school.

We made a Bascule bridge(the opening type bridges) we used the usual 3V/6V motors and used an alternating adapter and the bridge was held together with strings. and it opened and closed by itself( had even imagined using sensors but really didnt know how to make one back then.i remember even making a scaled replica of the TITANIC to impress this girl i liked in school(titanic fever was on back then). And yes we won!! although back then i didnt have a camera of my own and never got a chance to take pics of the same. what followed was even worse. some of the WWF crazy freaks took apart our whole creation.I felt so bad about it that years later when i got a chance to help out my cousin with her project i made the same thing with much better looks ( due to a good practice with model-making now frm my architecture course ) AND I simply like to adore it now and then minus the Titanic now...coz the one i was impressing is now my sweetheart ...
matrix_ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 15:59   #41
BHPian

Default FEVIBOND-Highly inflammable substance

I know my above topic might not be all soldering and wiring enough But there is one more stupid one i wish to tell :P

This is rather recent one during my 2nd yr in architecture. As the trend is I was helping out my senior with his thesis work and with the model. we were living in this apartment of his and i was also the hospitality and beverages manager...

since it was an empty apartment of his..there was no gas connection or anything so one of the guys had brought along his electric stove from his hostel. and this stone age piece was almost in its last stages and in pieces. this rather annoyed me and i thought of maybe fixing it.I had only recently found the potential abilities of the Fevibond glue in model making and thought of utilizing the same since it was so abundant at his place. but what i was dumb enough to forget was that fevibond in "highly inflammable"!!!.

So well there i was happily sticking away and thinking of what a smart surprise i would give them...
oh yea!! it was a big flamy surprise alright...the stove exploded as soon as i pressed the switch and there we were looking at the last thing we looked forward to at the end of the day. We all went hungry that night but that incident was certainly memorable to my senior friend and he even penned it in his thesis. hehe
matrix_ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 15:13   #42
BHPian

I had this habit of smelling a soldering iron to figure out if it was hot. Have misjudged the distance many a time and ended up with a cauterised nose end!!

Also check this out: The theory of Electrics & Electronics!!

Many years ago, a good friend of mine and one of the smartest engineers I know, let me in on a secret. After years of proving the theory correct, I have decided to relate the secret of all electrical appliances, motors, machines and other mechanical devices to the general public.

The secret ingredient of all mechanical and electrical items is SMOKE.

I am sure some so-called scholars would disagree, but I ask you to relate some of your own experiences to mine.

I first noticed this phenomenon many years ago while working on our newly purchased land. I had wired an electrical receptacle to a temporary power pole, so that I could have electricity for working. I bought an electric weed eater for $89.00 to use cleaning up the property. (This amount back then was half a week's pay.) I plugged it in, and after about one minute of a real fast whirl, POOF. A cloud of smoke engulfed me, and my new weed eater froze up. I immediately returned the defective part to Sears and got a new one. To my surprise, this one too, engulfed me in the magical mixture of white cloud. I then realized I had wired my receptacle as 220 volt, instead of 110 volt.

I related the story to my engineer friend who then told me the obvious. The weed eaters stopped working, because I let the smoke out.

Since then, I have noticed that when the smoke gets out of a fan, a heater, a lamp, a transformer, a computer, a VCR, a vacuum cleaner, a washing machine, a clothes dryer, or a car (regardless of the model), that item will not work anymore.

I was reminded of the secret theory on Sunday this week when my lovely wife and I were taking our Chevy Blazer out for a test drive. I had worked on it all Friday Night and Saturday making repairs on it. On Sunday afternoon, while going to Walmart, the Blazer did what I have seen way too many of my cars do in the past. A huge ball of white-grey smoke barreled out the back. Then the engine stopped. It would not start again. I let the smoke out.

Everything runs on SMOKE.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2008 at 23:44. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 08:31   #43
BHPian

When i was in class 5, i used to love RC cars! My parents used to get me exotic rc cars from japan and Germany
But i used to crack 'em up to see whats inside, One day i got an ingenious idea and hooked up the motor of the RC car to the 230v mains!
The result was that the mains tripped! lol
Next, once in the 8th standard my friends took a capacitor from my bag(which i had removed from a nikon flash) and hooked it up to the mains without my permission, the result was again that the entire floors electricity tripped! They did it without asking me and hence all the blame came on me. My parents were called to school but i was let off!! HEHE
HimuraKenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 00:08   #44
BHPian

Wow...nice thread you've revived there mate

My first experiement with electricty was when I was like maybe 1 year old!!. As recalled by my parents, some relatives had come for a visit to our house and I was on the floor crawling around and generally up to no good, and there was a radio playing in the room. After some time they noticed that the radio had stopped playing and suddenly I was very very quiet.

When they looked at me, I had pulled out the radio's power cord and inserted one end of a damp matchstick (damp with my saliva) into one of the terminals of the cord!! And I was sitting there motionless - unable to move - in shock of course They struck away the cord and I started crying (thankfully). That day my dad decided I'll be an engineer.

From then on, countless electric shocks later...here I am.

I have especially fond memories of the cable TV/DD metro days when we didnt have cable in our house (coz of exams, study..blah blah). I used to design yagi antenna (fashioned out of bent aluminum wire- obtained by taking down clothes lines in our backyard) for DD Metro when the channel was just introduced. And countless other contraptions designed to secretly steal cable TV signal from our local cablewallah.

One of the more effective devices was this one - We had a long stick with a hook-like thing at one end which was used for plucking mangoes/papaya and similar stuff. I modded it with a dipole at the end and secretly hung it on the cable at night. The flat cable from the dipole would then go to the TV. Those days were fun!! I had so much time.
PaulBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 04:06   #45
BHPian

@ rmonie .. hahahahahaha .. that was BRILLIANT !!!
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote