Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th June 2012, 13:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

THe gas struts were designed to hold only the weight of the boot hatch. The added weight of the speakers was never part of the design. As the gas struts got older their capacity was derated and hence are unable to hold the boot hatch and speakers anymore.
Yes I agree. Guy who installed the speakers told the same thing. But I went ahead as I wanted more boot space. Now the only problem is one or the other screws in the boot keep loosing out and start making noises. I have learnt to live with that now.
_chikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 17:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

DEJAVU!!

check out my garage pics. 2002 Alto LX, rear speakers same position - same issue of lock getting misaligned! Lots of trial errors, dampers changed finally sold the car - no, not because of this, but moved on to a sedan. But never could find the cause of this issue! Always take a hammer and screwdriver, bang-turn-bang-turn and problem gone for few months!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 09:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Can Speakers damage the Boot Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Yes I agree. Guy who installed the speakers told the same thing. But I went ahead as I wanted more boot space. Now the only problem is one or the other screws in the boot keep loosing out and start making noises. I have learnt to live with that now.
Youy dont have to. If your hatch panel (where your speakers are attached) is removeable and you can access the back side of it then you can use a lock nut. This will secure your speaker for longer.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote