Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th April 2006, 20:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default iPod + FM transmitter for ICE?

Dear ICE Gurus,

Few of you already know that I am a dummy when it comes to ICE. And those, who didn't know, should know it now.

One of my friends tried different combination for his car instead of fitting regular MP3/audio player. He has small 1Gb MP3 player (like iPod), which he attaches to FM transmitter. Both he bought in US recently. As you would have guessed, he tunes his car FM radio to this frequency and hears songs. For audiophiles and purists, MP3 itself might be sacrilege, but for most common users, it suffices the purpose.

How does his setup fare compared to conventional MP3 player setup? He likes it because it's very portable and he doesn't need to carry around CDs. FM transmitter works on 12v point (cigarette lighter). And yes, it is probably cheap too (cost wise).

Any thoughts?
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday my friend had an Ipod with a small gadget called Itrip attached to the Ipod itself and the music is played through fm(you can select the frequency from the comp. clarity is good almost the same as Mp3 cd. Range for the Ipod is around 2-3cars away from you but clarity is best in your own car.Ipod can be charged using th lighter socket..

P.s. I dont know the price of the Itrip addition !!!!

Hope this helps
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 20:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
P.s. I dont know the price of the Itrip addition !!!!
I think, iTrip costs somewhere around 2500-3000Rs.
Old 11th April 2006, 20:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ok i dont even own an Ipod so I really never knew about this accessoryy until yesterday...

So I might buy an Ipod for the Itrip
Old 11th April 2006, 21:27   #5
BHPian

i dont have any of these. But i've heard them both and i can definitely say any mp3 over 64kbps on decent speakers is going to better that ipod+Griffin itrip combination.

FM was never meant to handle that high sound quality. (even worldspace guys claim to be on par wid 128kbps mp3s, not more,)

PS: audio gurus correct me if i'm wrong
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 21:52   #6
BHPian

Default Alternative to iTrip

The iTrip at about Rs 3 K is highly overpriced.

A cheaper alternative is to get a 'no brand' FM transmitter which works on one single AA battery ( rechargeable ) and has a earphone jack. Costs about Rs 1.5K with most DN Road shops in Mumbai. As opposed to the iTrip which only works with iPod, this has multiple uses.

I use it with my Treo 650 to listen to my podcasts when on the road.

At home I plug it into my WorldSpace receiver and take my FM radio around the house with me. My son uses it to get it on his FM phone around the house.

Venkat
Venkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 22:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

FM at best is mediocre. some are happy purists like me are not.

I use a dedicated wire. it offers better SQ and allows some control over the ipod (from the HU). It is not as portable though.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 22:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

The CD-->Tape jack provides better SQ than and FM transmitter. I havent tried the iTrip, but have read many reviews from unsatisfied customers.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 23:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

I use a dedicated wire. it offers better SQ and allows some control over the ipod (from the HU). It is not as portable though.
In Bangalore, Radio City is pretty okay. But AIR is horrible. There is some kind of hum which I just hate.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 00:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

somehow i was not satisfied with SQ from FM transmitter....i bought it from US 9 months back.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 00:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Navin, not that this is important, but I am curious to know what causes the difference. Why is SQ of FM not as good as regular MP3 player? Where does data loss take place? How do you connect your iPod using dedicated wire or does your HU allow aux. input?
Old 12th April 2006, 09:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some of the new (and maybe even old) have wire specifically made for Ipod (aux input i guess). Some have front aux ports also so they are a lot more easy to use than the rear aux ports ones
Old 12th April 2006, 11:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

RX,

FM by it's very nature is a compressed format. it was designed in the era of tape systems. In addition to this FM is suspect to all sorts of other interference. By using FM to transmit any music youend up compressing it and also introducing the FM related interference.

MP3 is also a compressed format but it's algorithm is far more sophisticated esp once the bit rate exceed an average of 190kbps. There are other compressed formats today that are even less lossy than MP3 yet have the same (or smaller) file size. MP3 is the most omnipresent though.

the other ways to connect a MP3 player.
1. either via a cable from the MP3 players line out (good) or headpone out (not so good but better than FM as there is no modulation etc..) this includes more sophisticated solutions like iDrive etc...

Or 2. via a HU specific cable (most manufacturers today have HUs that are "Ipod ready" and the cable is sold as a accessory. these cables offer the same signal quality as the cable mentioned above (from the line out) but also allow some control of the ipod from the HU.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 12:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
2. via a HU specific cable (most manufacturers today have HUs that are "Ipod ready" and the cable is sold as a accessory. these cables offer the same signal quality as the cable mentioned above (from the line out) but also allow some control of the ipod from the HU.
this is THE BEST option.

This setup would also display the song related infos from your iPOD into the HU's display (in most of iPOD Ready HUs) !!
souravbasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 12:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

RX I mainly depends on which HU u r gonna use the IPOD. And method with which u r gonna connect. The first one is the FM transmitter , man seriuosly dont go with it, total chaos , very bad SQ and the addition hiss in radio also. The second one is the direct connection to the HU now there are two ways to do it also one is the AUX in the HU and the second one is the complete interface of the control of the IPOD from the HU also. Like I have both of them in my car. For Pioneer I am gonna tell U for the other company U will have to search for the same ur self.

For the AUX it is RB-20 which is connected to the HU via a IP-BUS connection and u can connect a lots of things on it , like cd walkman, IPOD etc the SQ is superb.

For the Complete IPOD control there is CD-IB100 with this u can control the IPOD from the HU itself no need to touch the IPOD also. The SQ will be same as the AUX method . But u will able to connect the IPOD only nothing else. no cd walkman or any.

I have used all the three methods but I find the last one most easy to use in a car even while driving. Because u cannot drive and select the song for a IPOD. But from the HU u can do that.

About the HU all the company`s are offering this type of interfaces u can check it out .

For all IPOD people this is a good offer also check it out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-COnP8MH...mon&i=108DP1US
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote