Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2006, 11:48   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Cool Must read - Keeping your Car Audio System secure

Hmm... Interesting stuff...

Well, let me tell you guys something you dont know.

Keep your system discreet.
How? Go for a stealth install. Try and use stock locations and keep things like subs and amps out of view. Speakers installed in parcel trays of small cars are soft targets as they can be removed in an instant.

Thieves know this: Where theres a sub, theres an amp, and maybe an eq or dsp. Try and keep your sub out of sight. A reason why we prefer box installs where the sub box sits in the boot with nothing visible in the parcel shelf. See the spare wheel well install thread for a fully discreet install.

Secure the HU!!
Most installers install the head unit in the standard sleeve that comes with the HU. All thieves have the so called 'keys' required to unlock the HU and in a lot of cars its very easy to forcibly push out the HU by getting one hand behind the dash. If your car has a removable center facia (Getz, Optra etc), you need to ensure your HU is installed from behind the facia and held in place by screws (see the Getz thread). You can also attach a pull contact sensor to your HU and integrate it with your security system. So if someone yanks out your HU, he will set of the alarm. This is especially useful when you hand out your keys to strangers in Valet type situations. Here is what a pull contact sensor looks like:


Be discreet!
When you approach your parking spots, whether its outside your home, office or at the mall: Dont play your system loud. Dont show off. Thieves are hanging around, waiting for you to 'declare' your arrival with loud thumping of your subwoofer... its like taking candy from a kid. Parking attendants are usually involved in thefts. They also have a master key for most common cars like marutis. There is NO exception, they always DO have theys keys. If you have act discreet, have a discreet system, with no speakers or subs visible, and your HUs faceplate is removed, you will reduce 90% possibility of a theft.

Your car is easy to break in: Get Insurance
Whether it takes a ruler, a master key, a blade or just a piece of wire to break into your car, know that your car is very easy to break in. While modern cars like the Getz, Aveo etc are a bit more difficult to break in, its still possible. Make sure you have insured your IEC system. That way even if it does get stolen, you get the money and go out and buy the latest model.

Secure all windows
Secure the quarter glass windows. On some cars it is childs play to remove the beading and glass from outside. If you afford it, use Llumar / 3m kind of security film on all windows. Increases glass strength by 200% in some cases and makes it near impossible to break the glass.

Intrusion Alarm Systems / Central Locking Systems
Most entry level systems are more of central locking systems and less of alarm systems. Spend a couple of thousand more and get a higher model which can have a ultrasonic movement sensor. While all systems cover the doors, boot and dicky, sensors like ultrasonics ensure that theres an alarm even if none of the doors were opened... if the thief entered through a window. Also go for vibration sensors and glassbreak sensors. Your regular installer has NO clue how these things are installed. Most manufacturers offer free installation so make sure your system is installed by the manufacturers OWN installer. Take time to understand the system so you will have zero false alarms. There are newer GSM based systems out there (I have one) which use a standard SIM card to relay all alarm messages via SMS to your cellphone. You can also arm/disarm and immobilise your car via your mobile. This is good if your job keeps you on the move or you travel a lot.

In the end, its all about making things difficult for the thief. He will just go for the softer target. So is your car a soft target?

Last edited by gunbir : 16th April 2006 at 11:53.
gunbir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

AAAh, this wonderful article has got the sticky it deserved

The pull contact sensor as well as SMS based alarm systems are definately going to be useful to ice addicts...and car freaks too. hehe.

Thanks Gunbir.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 19:51   #3
BHPian
 
ghostrider4385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 389
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Great thread Gunbir, a must read for all!

I think this thread belongs in the best threads section!

Godspeed.

Alok.
ghostrider4385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Great topic Gunbir!

I was just thinking my install has many safeguards but not all of the points mentioned above. The ones covered are like a discreet system with everything out of view and I don't show it off anyways. Should I post some pics here for others to see? Do you think it's a good idea?

Also about your point on Alarm/Central Locking systems I have never had one installed on my cars since I have had experiences with friends and relatives cars in which the alarm system developed problems after a while and would create nuisance by going off for no reason in the middle of the night. This has happened with nearly all makes sold in India. The Primary excuse for this from the dealers is that these systems were never designed for the Indian climate and due to the excess heat and dust tend to fail/develop problems. Can you or anybody else throw some light on this?

Do you think there are better makes which don't have such problems? Also I just hate the plip-plip that happens everytime you lock/unlock the car can't it be silent with just lights flashing like European cars? I am sure most of you have faced the annoyance of somebody's alarm going off in the middle of the night and disturbing you.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 21:55   #5
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default

Quote:
Do you think there are better makes which don't have such problems? Also I just hate the plip-plip that happens everytime you lock/unlock the car can't it be silent with just lights flashing like European cars
Yes there are some systems which can be programmed as you wish.They can work in silent mode and start buzzing on attempt to open without the remote.
Also there are these new system with automatic "window roll up" thing,it means your windows get rolled up if you lock your car with the remote and goes off if someone trys to break in.And many more functions,check out the cobra or Autocop as we know in India they have got nice stuff.(I dont know about others as I havent heard about them. heehee)

And I wanted to know one thing are those GSM system useful if the car is parked in a basement,because my phone signal always goes off there. What if such a thing happens??

Last edited by SRK : 17th April 2006 at 21:58.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 23:09   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Also about your point on Alarm/Central Locking systems I have never had one installed on my cars since I have had experiences with friends and relatives cars in which the alarm system developed problems after a while and would create nuisance by going off for no reason in the middle of the night. This has happened with nearly all makes sold in India. The Primary excuse for this from the dealers is that these systems were never designed for the Indian climate and due to the excess heat and dust tend to fail/develop problems. Can you or anybody else throw some light on this?

Do you think there are better makes which don't have such problems? Also I just hate the plip-plip that happens everytime you lock/unlock the car can't it be silent with just lights flashing like European cars? I am sure most of you have faced the annoyance of somebody's alarm going off in the middle of the night and disturbing you.
Well like SRK said there are many systems that will let you disable the 'plip-plip'. One I saw recently was "AutoWatch' which had a lot of nice features.

As far as system reliability is concerned, the single largest factor for false alarms is bad connections. A lot of dealers dont know how to install these systems. Some do but their installation skills suck. Ensure this: All connections are done with tap-on connectors (a lot of brands now include these in their kit). A tap-on connector is a cleaner alternative to the 'splice and tape' way of tapping into your power, door switch circuits. Here is what it looks like...



Also ensure the door switches in the kit are of good quality. If your car already has company fitted door switches on all doors, you may only need to install one for the hood.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
And I wanted to know one thing are those GSM system useful if the car is parked in a basement,because my phone signal always goes off there. What if such a thing happens??
Hmm... on the system I have, there is an extended GSM antenna which is affixed to the windsreen. And I can check signal strength etc by asking it via SMS. But yes, you have a point... if there is little or no signal, it only works like a regular signal and sounds the siren in the event of a break-in. It will also still immobilise the engine.

A possible workaround could be trying alternate GSM service providers (like in Delhi IDEA sometimes seems to work in places where Airtel and Hutch dont) and getting the SIM which works.

Last edited by gunbir : 17th April 2006 at 23:16.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 23:53   #8
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Brilliant thread .. Good points .. Believe it or not i was planning to insure my ICE system this time around .. Shall make sure i incorporate all these points this time around .. Great going gunman .. This thread certainly deserves a sticky ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 00:59   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Deeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Do HU's in India come with the code feature in which one has to enter a 4 or 5 digit code into the HU if there is complete lack of power going to the HU (e.g battery is disconnected)? On 90% of the HUs i have seen in europe this code feature is as common as the removal of the face plate.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 01:18   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Do HU's in India come with the code feature in which one has to enter a 4 or 5 digit code into the HU if there is complete lack of power going to the HU (e.g battery is disconnected)? On 90% of the HUs i have seen in europe this code feature is as common as the removal of the face plate.
Well in India some Kenwoods, Blaupunkts and Clarions do

Last edited by gunbir : 18th April 2006 at 01:20.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 08:53   #11
BHPian
 
ksethuram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai , London (now)
Posts: 233
Thanked: Once
Default

After reading this thread i am a bit worried about my car's security system which came as a factory fitment. The system which came with my Swift ZXI is Nippon. Can anyone tell me whether i need to replace it with any other make which will provide me better security.
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 09:17   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default

One more thing ,can I insure a system without bill or warranty.
I had got mine without a bill,as I wasnt aware of such things that time and went for a cheaper deal!! Usually I shop for my car and get the bill paid by my dad,but this time I took some cash and got the system into my car.

Last edited by SRK : 18th April 2006 at 09:19.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
One more thing ,can I insure a system without bill or warranty.
I had got mine without a bill,as I wasnt aware of such things that time and went for a cheaper deal!! Usually I shop for my car and get the bill paid by my dad,but this time I took some cash and got the system into my car.
You cant get insurance for 'grey market' purchases, insurance requires original invoice.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 10:26   #14
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
A tap-on connector is a cleaner alternative to the 'splice and tape' way of tapping into your power, door switch circuits. Here is what it looks like...



Also ensure the door switches in the kit are of good quality. If your car already has company fitted door switches on all doors, you may only need to install one for the hood.
Gunbir.....r these same connectors waht my installer used to connect HU with car engine wires???

And Gunbir i asked u earlier,i think u missed it,which is the best automatic central locking system with model no.?
I know autocop is very reputed but not sure abt best/latest model no.At present my car has manual central locking systems.

Cant believe that website has no exclusive thread for central locking systems.Maybe i cant find it.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2006, 12:35   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
Gunbir.....r these same connectors waht my installer used to connect HU with car engine wires???

And Gunbir i asked u earlier,i think u missed it,which is the best automatic central locking system with model no.?

I know autocop is very reputed but not sure abt best/latest model no.At present my car has manual central locking systems.

Cant believe that website has no exclusive thread for central locking systems.Maybe i cant find it.
Hi RSJ.. yes, they should be the same connectors.

Hmm... you can go for Autocop Cobra which is a genuine Hyundai accessory. Ask your Hyundai workshop for details. I dont know the feature set on that system but they should have plug-and-play connectors so no splicing of cables is necessary.

Wheels is a large malaysian company which does a lot of OEM systems for the whos who in the car industry. They have their operations in India as well. I have used one of their basic models in one of our cars and it works well and has good build quality. I like the remote too. Maybe you could look at one of their higher kits if you want movement detection, vibration detectors etc. If you want a basic 'door detection only' kind of model their basic kit will work well.

Cheers
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must Read Auto / Car Books for the BHPian greenhorn Shifting gears 48 22nd November 2017 14:54
For All Car Lovers - Keeping Your Car Clean Rudra Sen Technical Stuff 561 31st March 2016 16:03
A must read for Car Manufacturers/Designer's - Little things that annoy you. indianchiefrsd The Indian Car Scene 84 23rd February 2011 11:48
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks