Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th April 2014, 13:14   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
... Soomooku (Sorry, DerAlte, liked the sound!) ...
Arrey please don't be apologetic about your choice. What matters is you like it. Enjoy!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 15:41   #152
BHPian

Moved the amplifier from my old car to my Terrano and installed Infinity 6.5inch speakers(component) on the front doors.

Did it in a hurry! Big mistake!

Since the OEM player does not have an RCA output the fitter installed an RCA converter for amp input. They drilled holes on the door to fix the over-sized speakers and now the glove box does not open. Also now my leg hits the speaker cover while driving.

Any expert suggestions on a solution for this? Could I move the door speakers to the back doors?
anil_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 08:34   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
Any expert suggestions on a solution for this? Could I move the door speakers to the back doors?
I dont think there are any shortcuts. You will have to undo the damage. Even I have a 6.5 speakers on my Duster. Works well. No amp installed and no drilling on the door pads. See post # 67 of this thread.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 09:10   #154
BHPian

Duster's stock location of the speakers are done in a weird way, it fits only a 5.25inch properly to the metal panel. If you are fixing a bigger speaker you either need to fix it on the braces of the doorpad speaker tunnel or on the doorpad with a spacer ring or cut the doorpad. With the first and second methods, proper sealing of the front and back waves is very difficult, esp the first one which is nearly impossible.

The first one will give enough clearance to the speaker and the glovebox, but there are a lot of gaps in the bracing and a proper seal is nearly impossible. Also the leak happens very close to the speaker and should be avoided at any cost. This leak is apart from the doorpad leaks.

In the second case, we need to close all the gaps in the doorpad to prevent front and back waves mixing. Also we need to stiffen the door pad as it can flex with the impact of the bigger speaker. Because of the spacer ring, the speaker will touch the glove box when it is opened.

The third one is the best way IMO, a spacer ring well which can be fixed to the metal frame and damp the door and close it from outside. For this we need to cut the doorpad. But this also can touch the glovebox, but what I have done is to make the ring well an angled mouth towards the cabin so that the glovebox can be opened w/o touching the speakers and it also helps in preventing the mixing of the L / R channel that causes dips/peaks in certain freqs.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st May 2014 at 09:11.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 09:19   #155
Team-BHP Support

Ideally I would have loved a good quality 5.25 inch components. But when I looked at during my initial purchase time, I did not find good components for 5.25. Infinity Primus started at 6.5.

The best solution I will prefer any day is a swap without doing anything to the door panels.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:07   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
5.25 inch components
None of the good quality components comes in this size. Moreover, due to the tunnel after the speaker, dont expect a decent soundstage from it and will be a nightmare to get a good quality reproduction.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st May 2014 at 10:13.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:18   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think there are any shortcuts. You will have to undo the damage. Even I have a 6.5 speakers on my Duster. Works well. No amp installed and no drilling on the door pads. See post # 67 of this thread.
thanks for the pic. How did you manage to fix it on the door then? I had to use a wooden bracket for fixing which adds to the thickness. Did you cut off something on the speakers? Also I see that the grill sticks out still. does it not touch ur leg? Also the glove box.
anil_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:29   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thanks for the pic. How did you manage to fix it on the door then? I had to use a wooden bracket for fixing which adds to the thickness. Did you cut off something on the speakers? Also I see that the grill sticks out still. does it not touch ur leg? Also the glove box.
I frankly don't remember it now. Its about 2 years and the installer did it for me. But I do remember him NOT cutting the door pad. Yes it does stick out, but it does not touch the glove box and surely does not interfere with my driving.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2014 at 10:39.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:49   #159
BHPian

Quote:
How did you manage to fix it on the door then?
Its the Method1 which I had mentioned in this post : #157. The speaker can be fixed to the same location where the spacer ring is located, but need some muscle to get it accommodated and the screws wont go straight. Another workaround is to use a 12mm 6.5 + a 5.25 (only to seal the edges inside) spacer ring. Also you can try a 6mm spacer rings using marine ply instead of mdf for strength. In any case, provide enough sealing below the ring and the speaker, else its a waste of time and money in going for a different speaker.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st May 2014 at 10:58.
Old 16th June 2014, 18:20   #160

Hi. Can someone please help in choosing between Pioneer 8690/5690/4690/2690.
Priority would obviously be the value for money proposition. Would try refrain from 8690 since its very expensive.
Thanks.
adizone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 20:57   #161
BHPian

I had the 5690 since it was launched in India, regret buying it after trying to connect it to an android (note 2) smart phone. Its just not possible to mirror the phone on the 5690 screen unless you have an iphone.
Pioneer is made for Iphones unless you buy the 8690 which has a hdmi port for android connectivity. You can then browse the phone on the pioneer touch screen, a cool setup. Other than this 5690 is just fantastic in terms of audio and video.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 20:09   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Moved the amplifier from my old car to my Terrano and installed Infinity 6.5inch speakers(component) on the front doors.

Did it in a hurry! Big mistake!

Since the OEM player does not have an RCA output the fitter installed an RCA converter for amp input. They drilled holes on the door to fix the over-sized speakers and now the glove box does not open. Also now my leg hits the speaker cover while driving.

If possible ,go back to 5.25 inch ones,like I did with my duster . Rainbow has good components ,which fits in perfectly.But how to fill in the gap in door panels?.Those panels might not be very expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano-20140623_124420.jpg  

anilntny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:54   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
... which fits in perfectly.But how to fill in the gap in door panels?. ...
Not a very appropriate replacement if there are gaps, no? Installers normally use an MDF spacer (1/2" or 3/4").
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 23:22   #164
BHPian

One simple question on HU change for Duster ICE - When i change the HU to a different HU then stock , do my steering mounted controls work ? If not, then what are my options if I still want steering mounted controls?
pranav_mankad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 23:56   #165
BHPian

You need to buy the Renault - audio unit manufacturer steering interface. Secondly a bezel also needs to be bought to give the 2 din player a perfect finish. Check 'Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ', page 8 under initial ownership thread for details.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote