Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th July 2014, 15:53   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
... change the HU to a different HU then stock , do my steering mounted controls work ? If not, then what are my options if I still want steering mounted controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
You need to buy the Renault - audio unit manufacturer steering interface. ...
No, the steering controls won't work straight away with an after-market HU. There are interface boxes available which interface the steering mounted controls to the specific HU you buy. Not very costly.

Not sure, but the Nissan / Renault OE HUs were regular 2DIN profile with the piano-finish black OE bezel. That accepts regular 2DIN HUs without replacing the bezel.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 21:55   #167
BHPian

Hi Der Alte, Could you please check the below setup and suggest any edits or additions for duster audio setup -

I have recently purchased 85RXL+ version, I have the stock HU (non navigation)
below is the speakers setup I'm thinking about

AMP - HERTZ 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER HE-4 800 W (8K)
Front Speakers - Polk Audio - DB 5251 - 5.25 Inch 2-Way Component System (250 W) (9k)
Tweeters - Polk Audio - DB1001 - 1 Inch Silk/Polymer Dome Tweeter (4k)
Rear Speakers - Polk Audio - DB521 - 5.25 Inch Co-axial Speakers (2k)

Now, I'm stuck after this I am still in two minds to go for a sub woofer as I generally don't prefer too much of Bass. Could you please suggest anything to add to the above setup. Thank you in Advance!!
Acclero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 17:46   #168
BHPian

Posting the reply here for everyone's benefit - (I couldn't tag/quote Der Alte in the above comment hence PM'ed him and he was generous enough to post a quick reply)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero
... Front Speakers - Polk Audio - DB 5251 - 5.25 Inch 2-Way Component System (250 W) (9k)
Tweeters - Polk Audio - DB1001 - 1 Inch Silk/Polymer Dome Tweeter (4k) ...
Err... why the extra set of tweeters (DB1001)? The component set DB5251 comes with it's own tweeters!!! Also, DB1001 is about 3K, not 4K. Hope you have auditioned the components - please don't buy anything without listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero
... Now, I'm stuck after this I am still in two minds to go for a sub woofer as I generally don't prefer too much of Bass. ...
One doesn't have to 'prefer' bass to get a subwoofer. Subwoofers complete the sound spectrum of music as it was intended by the composer / sound engineers. Not putting a sub is like not putting salt in food - one can eat it, but the dish doesn't taste the way it is meant to taste. One doesn't have to spend a lot of money. Since you already have a 4 channel amp, you only need an economical subwoofer costing ~4K plus cost of box (usually 800).
Acclero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:49   #169

Recently bought Renault Duster Diesel RxE brown color and now planning to install ICE. I am not a fan of touchscreen or display ones, so I have finalized Sony WX-GT99BT 2din available for around 8k. I would also be going in for reverse camera, so may be display one would be better. Any suggestions?

I don't listed to music at high volumes but keep it at reasonable level. With this I am planning for Kicker 6-3/4 inch 4 speakers DSC65 available for 7k in all. I am not sure if this size would fit easily.

Is this a good setup as it is within my budget of 15-16k? I would listen to music every single day but won't mind adding a sub or amp in case the effects can be great. People on this forum have suggested Infinity speakers, any particular reasons for that choice for Duster only? I have not heard anyone around me installing these in any other cars, people generally have JBL, Boston, sony and few have local made ones too.
sumitbhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 00:18   #170
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitbhai View Post
I am planning for Kicker 6-3/4 inch 4 speakers DSC65 available for 7k in all.
That size wont fit the Duster. The stock size is 5.25" for both front and rear speakers.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 18:15   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I am planning for Kicker 6-3/4 inch 4 speakers DSC65 available for 7k in all. I am not sure if this size would fit easily. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
That size wont fit the Duster. The stock size is 5.25" for both front and rear speakers.
A good installer will be able to make it fit. But, what one would lose is the OE look, since the speakers will have to be surface mounted on the doorpad and using the grills that come with the speakers, instead of being mounted in the OE location (which is inset, and covered with OE grill). On the positive side, the 6.75" mid-bass will have slightly better bass than any 5.25" mid-bass.

@sumitbhai, please do audition the Kicker speakers before you buy - lest you get buyer's remorse afterwards. The speaker mounting modification is irreversible as far as the doorpads are concerned.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 00:50   #172
BHPian

I want to upgrade the speakers of my Duster. I have a MediaNav H.E.
I just want better sound quality, so that the notes are clear with reasonable bass.

- i don't want to change the head unit.
- i don't want to add an amp
- i want to just swap the speakers with ones of same size, just plug and play
- no changes to wiring, hence no speakers that can overload the H.E or wiring (a d.i.y may be)
- i am not so keen to have tweeters mounted separately

I have couple of queries:
- does such an upgrade make any sense or should i just keep the money in my pocket
- is it an issue if i use co-axial speakers for both front and back, in terms of the sound
- any recommendations for speakers

Last edited by sumeshmani : 12th September 2014 at 00:53.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 10:45   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A good installer will be able to make it fit. But, what one would lose is the OE look, since the speakers will have to be surface mounted on the doorpad and using the grills that come with the speakers, instead of being mounted in the OE location (which is inset, and covered with OE grill). On the positive side, the 6.75" mid-bass will have slightly better bass than any 5.25" mid-bass.

@sumitbhai, please do audition the Kicker speakers before you buy - lest you get buyer's remorse afterwards. The speaker mounting modification is irreversible as far as the doorpads are concerned.
Everyone here suggests to go for Infinity Kappa or Primus for duster. Is it a good idea to fit in 4 coax speakers of the same and not go for amp and sub? I am not much crazy for music but still listen to it at reasonable volume.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:55   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone here suggests to go for Infinity Kappa or Primus for duster. Is it a good idea to fit in 4 coax speakers of the same and not go for amp and sub? I am not much crazy for music but still listen to it at reasonable volume.
1. That may be because these are the only models which have 5.25" size. Many dealers don't keep this size from other brands fearing it won't move

2. Please put a set of components in front. Rear can be coaxials. The difference is in the sound image. Components give you an image where you can locate instruments and voice in front of you

3. Though the internal amp of an HU, which is usually rated 14-18W RMS per channel, can sound decently loud, it distorts when one cranks up volume to more than 70%. External amps, rated 40W RMS or higher, are able to handle that without distorting

4. Subwoofers reproduce low frequencies only. Low frequencies are an essential part of music, the way the original composer and sound engineer wanted you to listen to it. If you don't have a sub, you will be missing part of the music. For some it is OK to omit, for some it is like salt missing from food!
Old 12th September 2014, 11:24   #175
BHPian

Quote:
1. That may be because these are the only models which have 5.25" size.
Focal & Hertz also have 5.25" component speakers. But may not be moving as much as Infinity.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 11:28   #176

Quote:
1. That may be because these are the only models which have 5.25" size. Many dealers don't keep this size from other brands fearing it won't move

2. Please put a set of components in front. Rear can be coaxials. The difference is in the sound image. Components give you an image where you can locate instruments and voice in front of you

3. Though the internal amp of an HU, which is usually rated 14-18W RMS per channel, can sound decently loud, it distorts when one cranks up volume to more than 70%. External amps, rated 40W RMS or higher, are able to handle that without distorting

4. Subwoofers reproduce low frequencies only. Low frequencies are an essential part of music, the way the original composer and sound engineer wanted you to listen to it. If you don't have a sub, you will be missing part of the music. For some it is OK to omit, for some it is like salt missing from food!
DerAlte,

I am very confused now, I want everything yet don't have a high budget. If I would to give you 20K rupees and ask you to install ICE in a duster, what would you come up with?

I remember 5 years back I was in the same situation, when I went to sector 28 Motor market in Chandigarh with 10K budget for my WagonR. I spent several hours listening to various HU and speakers. Ultimately, I asked a shopkeeper to install whatever he thought was the best.

Result: He installed 4" coax boston speakers in front, Pioneer 1Din HU and Boston 6x9 components at the rear.
Problems: The front speakers are simply crap, I need to keep them to very low volume as compared to rear ones. Pioneer 1Din HU switches off after a week of usage and requires battery to be disconnected. Rear speakers sound very decent.

I don't want to get confused again and would prefer a simple but decent solution, but mind you, I would prefer a 2din HU with BT.
Old 12th September 2014, 12:07   #177
BHPian

20k is good enough for 2 front Infinity components and Jbl coaxials on the rear.
I am sure you would like the quality.
himadrimondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 13:29   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I want everything yet don't have a high budget. If I would to give you 20K rupees and ask you to install ICE in a duster, what would you come up with? ... I don't want to get confused again and would prefer a simple but decent solution, but mind you, I would prefer a 2din HU with BT.
* What does your car have right now?

* Including an HU, or without? A decent 2DIN HU with BT will cost you min. 20K itself.

Without HU:
1. A pair of components will cost you app. 6K or less
2. Round coaxials in rear door about 2-3K
3. An amp will cost you app. 6K (Kenwood M846, JBL or Pio)
4. An entry level sub (JBL, Infinity, Polk etc.) app. 5K

You will need another 2-3K for sub box, RCA cables, power and speaker wires.
Old 12th September 2014, 17:05   #179

Quote:
* What does your car have right now?

* Including an HU, or without? A decent 2DIN HU with BT will cost you min. 20K itself.

Without HU:
1. A pair of components will cost you app. 6K or less
2. Round coaxials in rear door about 2-3K
3. An amp will cost you app. 6K (Kenwood M846, JBL or Pio)
4. An entry level sub (JBL, Infinity, Polk etc.) app. 5K

You will need another 2-3K for sub box, RCA cables, power and speaker wires.
I have base model diesel RxE which doesn't have an ICE. Therefore, I am looking for 2din HU with BT. As I would also be going for reverse cam, is it advisable to buy a touchscreen display type HU which show reverse cam image?
Old 12th September 2014, 17:20   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have base model diesel RxE which doesn't have an ICE. Therefore, I am looking for 2din HU with BT. As I would also be going for reverse cam, is it advisable to buy a touchscreen display type HU which show reverse cam image?
If one wants to get a 2DIN HU, it makes sense to get a touchscreen - the other ones look kludgy. Just about any touchscreen HU today comes with Rear View Camera support (Video In for Camera, and one 12V input that is connected to the reversing lamp or reverse gear switch to switch to camera feed automatically).

Check - there is a Sony touchscreen HU (not sure if it has BT) for 14K. (Caution: don't fit Sony speakers even if someone offers for free with it). You only need to buy a set of components (Infinity Primus 5.25" should be 15K) and Coax for rear doors (Primus should be <2K). Total about 21K.