Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th September 2014, 17:55   #181

Default re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If one wants to get a 2DIN HU, it makes sense to get a touchscreen - the other ones look kludgy. Just about any touchscreen HU today comes with Rear View Camera support (Video In for Camera, and one 12V input that is connected to the reversing lamp or reverse gear switch to switch to camera feed automatically).

Check - there is a Sony touchscreen HU (not sure if it has BT) for 14K. (Caution: don't fit Sony speakers even if someone offers for free with it). You only need to buy a set of components (Infinity Primus 5.25" should be 15K) and Coax for rear doors (Primus should be <2K). Total about 21K.
After reading this entire thread, I am sure no wires would be cut to damage future warranty claims. But is there any specific message/inputs to be given to the electrician fitting the system?
sumitbhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 18:13   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitbhai View Post
After reading this entire thread, I am sure no wires would be cut to damage future warranty claims. But is there any specific message/inputs to be given to the electrician fitting the system?
Hi Sumit,

Do check out Pioneer Avh x2690bt (approx 15k) if you haven't finalized the system yet. And I would recommend Jbl GTO 509C componenets (4-4.5K) for the front & Polk Audio DB521 (3K) for the rear, both are 5.25 inch & will easily fit in the stock location without any cutting/modification.

About the warranty part, just make sure the installer uses couplers to connect the system and the speakers & doesn't unnecessarily cut wires to save a few bucks.

Last edited by lancerlover : 12th September 2014 at 18:18.
lancerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 14:45   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. The installer would need a 'harness adapter' (likely to cost <200) specific for your car, and the HU that you buy. Everything is wired and available in the harness

2. For the speakers, the wires might have been terminated at a pair of connectors. Sometimes, the speaker terminals are not suitable for those connectors. Ask the installer to use connectors (sockets) suitable the terminal pins on the speakers. Make sure he doesn't strip the wire and just twist it on the terminal pins., which might become loose in future and cause problems
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 15:23   #184
BHPian

Quote:
1. The installer would need a 'harness adapter' (likely to cost <200) specific for your car, and the HU that you buy. Everything is wired and available in the harness

2. For the speakers, the wires might have been terminated at a pair of connectors. Sometimes, the speaker terminals are not suitable for those connectors. Ask the installer to use connectors (sockets) suitable the terminal pins on the speakers. Make sure he doesn't strip the wire and just twist it on the terminal pins., which might become loose in future and cause problems
Looking out for getting the OEM HU replaced and get it working with the existing speakers. Don't want to cut wires and don't want to depend on the installer for a solution. Are these adapters, connectors available online for Duster/Terrano HU & Speakers? Any shops in Bangalore that I can get these from?
anil_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 15:27   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil_neo View Post
... Are these adapters, connectors available online for Duster/Terrano HU & Speakers? Any shops in Bangalore that I can get these from?
Most probably the installer will have the Duster harness adapter already. If not, you can get it from the larger accessories shops on Mission Road / Lalbagh Road.
Old 29th September 2014, 16:03   #186
BHPian

Any recommendation on after market HUs for the Duster/Terrano? How is the "Sony - XAV-712BT"? Getting it on snap deal for a serious discount. Would be good to go with something that is tried and tested on these cars.
anil_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:17   #187

Quote:

I was getting way too confused and as per suggestion I decided to audition for some HU's and speakers. However, it seems here in Chandigarh the tendency of most of the sellers is to sell something which they prefer.

I visited a couple of shops in Sector 28 and one in Industrial Area and they all pitched in their own suggestions without allowing me to compare different options.

Therefore, I logged on to Snapdeal and decided to buy whatever I liked. The below is what I have shopped for:

1. HU: Sony XAV68BT for Rs. 14250 : Snapdeal

2. Components: JBL GTO 509C for Rs. 3800 : Snapdeal

3. Coax: JBL CS 5 5.25 for rs. 1700 : Rediff Shopping ???

4. Reverse Cam: Xenos 18.5 Bumble Bee for Rs. 1350: Infibeam.

Total Expense: Rs. 21000 only.

None of the above have been delivered as of now and only Snapdeal have shipped their orders.

I doubt if I should install the Coax JBL CS 5 and would rediff ever ship it, god knows. Should I cancel this order and book something different?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:31   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I doubt if I should install the Coax JBL CS 5 and would rediff ever ship it, god knows. Should I cancel this order and book something different? ...
JBL CS5 5.25" coax is available for 2071 on Snapdeal. Please do install the coax for the rear - the rear passengers would hear only the fronts at a low volume, and for you in the driver's seat there will be no rear fill.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 18:41   #189

I have received JBL GTO 509C speakers. When I opened the box I found that warranty card was already filled. This should have been a pleasant thing but the cables to connect the speakers to cross overs and to other parts are missing.

I think the mechanic who would fit the speakers should be able to use normal cables to connect them. Any suggestions or this is ok?

I have complained to Snapdeal however I don't think they would help. I should have stuck with my favorite ebay. Ebay makes it so easy to deal with such petty issues.

Anyone with any ideas if normal cables would be fine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2014, 02:17   #190

Default Infinity kappa speakers for duster AWD

Hi all,

My duster awd delivery is due in a few days and i wanna change the stock speakers. Wondering if anyone has fitted the infinity kappa speakers in the duster with the factory fitted head unit? Is it good enough to drive it? I'm looking at the kappa 52.11i coaxial speaker upgrade for all the 4 speakers. The head unit in the awd version is the same one that's there in the adventure edition; the touchscreen version.

The 52.11i have extremely high sensitivity of 94db, but also a very low impedance. So wondering whether the power requirements can at times overwhelm the modest head unit. Worth mentioning here is that I'm not in the habit of playing music too loud in the car...I usually keep it at a medium volume.

I know that fitting an amplifier would greatly enhance the sound quality, and budget isn't an issue with me, but the dealer (gen next motors thane) isn't willing play around with the wiring and they're not even selling after market speaker upgrades for the duster. The accessories guy has almost reluctantly agreed to change the stock speakers with what I supply him with and I'm not willing to take it to an external installer as it will definitely void the warranty...

Also would be great to know some of the good dealers of infinity kappa speakers in Mumbai.. I'm having finding it with any of the places I've tried. I know it's available in snapdeal at a huge discount, but they'll take a long time to deliver and I want the speakers immediately so that they can be fitted before I take delivery of the car.
koushikp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:13   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Infinity kappa speakers for duster AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikp View Post
... My duster awd delivery is due in a few days and i wanna change the stock speakers. Wondering if anyone has fitted the infinity kappa speakers ...
These are coaxials, and not recommended in the front (good enough for the rear doors), in the interest of a good sound image in front.

Quote:
... The 52.11i have extremely high sensitivity of 94db, but also a very low impedance. ...
Please don't think numbers - they are not so straightforward for your decision making. Suffice to say the the OE HU will be able to drive them.

Quote:
... I know that fitting an amplifier would greatly enhance the sound quality, and budget isn't an issue with me, but the dealer (gen next motors thane) isn't willing play around with the wiring ... and I'm not willing to take it to an external installer as it will definitely void the warranty ...
1. The dealer's accessory guy is quite likely much less competent than the aftermarket dealers / installers outside. He will only sell what he has (or his owner has got him). It is better that you get the ICE job done outside

2. Warranty is not void if OE wiring harness *is not tampered with*. Yes, the job has to be done by a competent installer (the dealer's installer may not be that, but the customer doesn't know; in any case Mumbai has very good installers like @bass&trouble Ajay Kamath and @ramie2400). Adding an amp and aftermarket speakers does not touch OE harness

3. You may need a Line Output Converter, if the OE HU doesn't have Preamp Outs to drive the amp

Quote:
... Also would be great to know some of the good dealers of infinity kappa speakers in Mumbai. ...
Go to the JBL showroom in Mumbai. Infinity and JBL are brands of Harman. In any case, one wouldn't recommend the 52.11i for the front. Look for 52.11cs components for the front (also available on Snapdeal).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 14:20   #192

I managed to find the main distributor of harman in mumbai and he said offline will not have much stock of infinity speakers, it'll be very difficult to find as they are at the end of their lifecycle. On the other hand he also says he doesn't like online channel as a distributor and neither will anyone support me in case I run into any problem, I know these are common whines of the offline channel to the barrage of discount offered online now. But what does the customer do when it's not available? I called up the exclusive harman store also, they don't deal in car audio, they are again pointing me to the same distributor I spoke to.

I know I should ideally put components in the front, but a high quality pair of coaxials shouldn't be bad as well when as I am facing resistance from the dealer. I have to ask myself if I want to take panga with him as in that 4 year warranty I'll have to run to him only if the warranty is to be availed of. As far as the rear vs. front debate goes, my driving and being driven by my driver is 50-50 ratio, so I would like to have parity in what I install both front and back.

I guess I'll choose another pair of high quality coaxials and go ahead. Had a chat with FM drive in mumbai who is highly rated by the mumbai bhpians, he suggested I try morel or DLS, he seemed quite knowledgable, I think I will close the matter with him in the end.
koushikp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 16:56   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I managed to find the main distributor of harman in mumbai and he said offline will not have much stock of infinity speakers, ...
Don't get into manufacturer v/s distributor problems. Their issue is margins, and has nothing to do with physical availability. You should locate the JBL showroom and ask them.

Audition the Infinity Primus too.

Quote:
... I know I should ideally put components in the front, but a high quality pair of coaxials shouldn't be bad as well when as I am facing resistance from the dealer. I have to ask myself if I want to take panga with him as in that 4 year warranty I'll have to run to him only if the warranty is to be availed of. ...
Many unwise distributors have taken that funny stand, not realizing that changing speakers can't void warranty. No car manufacturer blocks warranty claims because of after-market audio equipment, if the car's wiring harness is left untouched. It is only the dealers who take that nonsensical line.

He can't block installation of components, since you would be using OE mounting (only if you put 5.25" midbass).

Quote:
... As far as the rear vs. front debate goes, my driving and being driven by my driver is 50-50 ratio, so I would like to have parity in what I install both front and back. ...
You will know the difference only when you sit in front and then rear in a car with components both front and rear. You will be dissatisfied in the front (image pulled backward), and you will be dissatisfied in the rear (front interfering with rear image). If you use coaxes, well, you will have an inferior image both in front and rear. Your choice, of course. Perhaps you should listen to some good installations first to relate to the points above. Don't bother about bass response or whether tweeter is neutral or bright. Just concentrate on the image aspect with your own music (always audition with your own music, with tone controls at 0 and no EQ).

Quote:
... he suggested I try morel or DLS, he seemed quite knowledgable, I think I will close the matter with him in the end.
Both are sweet sounding, but ... The main issue with Duster / Terrano is mid-bass size - 5.25" OE mounting. Not many good brands have this size in India, or one lands up paying more than, say, an Infinity Kappa 6.5" - not a good proposition. Infinity Primus has 5.25", and that's what @ampere opted for. One can put in 6.5", but one has to be prepared for a bit of doorpad cutting and losing OE looks. Hobson's choice!

I had the same issue in Safari, but I sacrificed OE looks in favor of 6.5" (definitely better mid-bass). Fortunately there was no doorpad cutting involved, and I can always revert to the OE system when it is time to sell!
Old 10th November 2014, 17:59   #194

Default Re: ICE Upgrade for Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Renault duster can easily accomodate 6.5inch only if you plan to install inside the door,and trim the oe speaker slot,trust me its anyday better than using 5.25in comps/coax.

You can use a high effeciency speakers with lower impedance to run direct on headunit or add a 4channel amplification for upgradation for better soundstage.
Hi,

Did you get this done? I went in for a speaker upgrade and was recommended the same.

Is there any issue pf rattling/vibration from the speakers not setting properly into the slot? Any other issues that may arise from trimming the slot?
anexas06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 18:04   #195
BHPian

Hi @deralte!

First of all i'd like to give you 2 big thumbs up for being so awesome! I've been following your posts and you're a great help to all those who seek advice and knowledge. Keep it up sir!

Now, coming to my own set of questions. I'm getting myself a Terrano 85PS within a couple of days. As i am getting the top variant, the ICE is a factory fitted double din system with 4 tinny speakers.

I'd like to upgrade it all.
First of all please know that i'm currently driving a Fluidic Verna and i've a Blaupunkt 4 channel amplifier with a 6" Blaupunkt bass tube. I'm gonna remove these 2 items from Verna before selling it off.

I've planned the following for the Terrano, please advice whether it's gonna be a good setup or not:

1. Keep the double DIN HU because it has pretty neat looks and has bluetooth connectivity for calls.
2. Replace the set of front co-ax with a new set of 6.5" Infinity Primus Components.
3. Remove the rear co-ax speakers and replace them with the pair of co-ax which have been take off from the front doors.
4. Add the Blaupunkt amp. Drive the front Components from 2 channels from Blau amp. Drive the bass tube from the other 2 channel from Blau amp in bridge mode. Drive the rear co-ax speakers straight from the Head Unit.

Now, as much as i'd love a touch screen HU with an attached camera, i don't fancy the glare which it gives after the sun goes down. It feels like a distraction. Also, i like the responsiveness of a manual button stereo system, they're fast and quick to operate. The touch screen systems take ages to respond and the touch sometimes is a hit or miss. Having said this, my view is entirely based on Sony XAV63 which my brother has in his innova. If the technology in better models and other brands is leaps and bounds above the XAV63, then by all means, suggest a good touch screen HU. It would be nice to have physical buttons for the most basic tasks such a song fwd reverse and volume adjust.

Budget would be approx 6-7k for the front components and 15-20k for the HU if the existing one wont cut it. I am sure if i upgrade to a touch screen HU i'd be able to sell of the existing HU to some other Duster or Terrano guy.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Deepak.
DeepakS is offline   Reply With Quote