Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 27th November 2014, 15:06   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
... 1. Keep the double DIN HU because it has pretty neat looks and has bluetooth connectivity for calls. ...
Sure - if it has all the functionality you need, why not?

Quote:
... 2. Replace the set of front co-ax with a new set of 6.5" Infinity Primus Components. ...
5.25", if you want to retain OE grill and looks. 6.5" will require an adapter and Infinity grill

Quote:
... 3. Remove the rear co-ax speakers and replace them with the pair of co-ax which have been take off from the front doors. ...
I think they are the same speakers as the rear door ones. No point in replacing, if so. Infinity Primus coaxes won't cost you much.

Quote:
... 4. Add the Blaupunkt amp. Drive the front Components from 2 channels from Blau amp. Drive the bass tube from the other 2 channel from Blau amp in bridge mode. Drive the rear co-ax speakers straight from the Head Unit. ...
Correct. You might need a Line Ouput Converter if your amp dosn't have high/speaker-level inputs.

Quote:
... Now, as much as i'd love a touch screen HU with an attached camera, i don't fancy the glare which it gives after the sun goes down. It feels like a distraction. ...
With brightness adjusted correctly, it is doesn't glare nor is it a distraction. Some feature automatic dimming of brightness.

Quote:
... my view is entirely based on Sony XAV63 which my brother has in his innova. If the technology in better models and other brands is leaps and bounds above the XAV63, then by all means, suggest a good touch screen HU. ...
LOL Sony is a bad reference. All other 2DIN touchscreen HUs are far better. For models and features, check the India websites of Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine. Approximate prices you can check on Snapdeal etc. (street prices are sometimes less).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 14:36   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
JBL CS5 5.25" coax is available for 2071 on Snapdeal. Please do install the coax for the rear - the rear passengers would hear only the fronts at a low volume, and for you in the driver's seat there will be no rear fill.
I have finally got audio system installed in my car. I got Rear Speakers: JBL CS 5 from Phase 7 Mohali for Rs. 1350

I am really pleased with the speaker configuration, and the Head Unit is good too. Sitting at the rear, as mentioned by 'DerAlte' I do get image from front. So thank you for saving my money and advising me to avoid costlier component speakers for rear.

The installer was suggesting me to go for an Amp but I refused. I have no idea how amp would alter/improve the sound quality but if it is really going to make a huge difference, then I will go for it. For the time being I am absolutely in love with the system and don't plan to change it.

I just have one concern now, as the speakers are installed in the door, almost 80% of sound is audible from outside the car. I don't like this situation as I prefer to not disturb the neighborhood. I checked with one shop in chandigarh and the guy mentioned that they would do damping for my car for Rs. 12000. Its way too costly a solution, I would like some cheaper alternative. So, if one has any idea, then do let me know.

Regards,
Sumit
sumitbhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 15:03   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitbhai View Post
... one concern now, as the speakers are installed in the door, almost 80% of sound is audible from outside the car. ... one shop in chandigarh and the guy mentioned that they would do damping for my car for Rs. 12000. ...
80%? Can't be with the windows closed. Or did you mean with windows open? One can't do anything with the issue if the windows are open.

12K is way too much. Damping the doors and the hatch should cost you approx. 6K incl. labour. PM @monty9991 - he makes and sells Dampmat, and will be able to tell you how much you need and what cost.
Old 28th November 2014, 18:00   #199

Quote:
80%? Can't be with the windows closed. Or did you mean with windows open? One can't do anything with the issue if the windows are open.

12K is way too much. Damping the doors and the hatch should cost you approx. 6K incl. labour. PM @monty9991 - he makes and sells Dampmat, and will be able to tell you how much you need and what cost.
I remember that the shopkeeper was indeed using Dampmat, but quoted me 12k. I am sure its 80% because yesterday I was listening to music in my car and my wife complained that the sound was too high. May be where I am living is a very quiet place but still.

I will drop a message to monty and ask him for a shop where I can get this done.

Thanks again DerAlte, you are a very nice person. God Bless you.

Regards,
Sumit
sumitbhai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 18:16   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Sure - if it has all the functionality you need, why not?

5.25", if you want to retain OE grill and looks. 6.5" will require an adapter and Infinity grill

I think they are the same speakers as the rear door ones. No point in replacing, if so. Infinity Primus coaxes won't cost you much.

Correct. You might need a Line Ouput Converter if your amp dosn't have high/speaker-level inputs.

With brightness adjusted correctly, it is doesn't glare nor is it a distraction. Some feature automatic dimming of brightness.

LOL Sony is a bad reference. All other 2DIN touchscreen HUs are far better. For models and features, check the India websites of Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine. Approximate prices you can check on Snapdeal etc. (street prices are sometimes less).

I wanted to put the front co axes in rear doors because i thought they were better. In the fluidic verna, my current ride, the front speakers are fantastic. The rear ones feel like theyve been bought from Teleshopping for rs499.
But yes, i will take your advice and put Infinity coaxes in rear.

Will the 5.25" components be enough? How much is the difference(not price wise) between the 5.25" and 6.5"? If it's a great difference, then i think it would be worth sacrificing the OE grill. If it's a minor difference, then i would very much like to keep the already not-so-premium and cough*shoddy*cough door panels intact!

Now, the HU! Please suggest me a good touch screen HU for 20k approx. If i could pawn the existing HU for 8-10k, then i guess it's gonna be sweet sweet upgrade! This would also save me a good 12-13k on the reverse camera as i won't be opting for the electro chromatic mirror with the reverse camera for 15.5k(Nissan Genuine Accessory). I'll just buy a good camera for 2000-2500 bucks and route its display to the HU.

Also, are the touchscreen HU's in the price range which i'm seeking HD? If yes, would it be possible to get an HD reverse camera for super clarity and use it along?
DeepakS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 19:11   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I am sure its 80% because yesterday I was listening to music in my car and my wife complained that the sound was too high. May be where I am living is a very quiet place but still. ...
Well, well, well, even my wife says the same thing (she also complains that I have put on the TV too loud, whereas in reality I haven't changed the volume a bit after she finished watching her serials)!

I know it is not, because a. I listen at a moderate volume with windows closed and b. I have heard the level myself when outside the car, and music was playing inside. It is about 20% of the loudness inside which escapes via the glass windows. Try it yourself.

Quote:
... The rear ones feel like theyve been bought from Teleshopping for rs499. ...
That is some assessment!!!

Quote:
... Will the 5.25" components be enough? How much is the difference(not price wise) between the 5.25" and 6.5"? ...
Hmmm 5.25" sometimes cost more than 6.5" (or there are more discounts on 6.5"), but that is the offtake influence on pricing. The difference is usually 10-15% either way. 6.5" is definitely better.

Quote:
Now, the HU! Please suggest me a good touch screen HU for 20k approx. If i could pawn the existing HU for 8-10k, ...
Pioneer AVH-X2790BT / Kenwood DDX3035BT/ JVC / Clarion / Alpine - check what is available in the market or on Snapdeal. The ones that need an external box for navigation cost around 20K (with navigation it is twice that). Check features carefully in detail to know whether they have all features you need.

Quote:
... would it be possible to get an HD reverse camera for super clarity and use it along?
2DIN touchscreens are usually WVGA screens. HD is an overkill in the automotive environment, considering small screen sizes. Do you realize the camera in the bumper is likely to be smudged / dirty most times? That is a bigger problem than resolution. HD camera will cost you a pretty packet, and not give you any significant advantage.
Old 2nd December 2014, 06:44   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One can retail the OE grill too.
Need to carefully cut the existing panel that 5.25" speaker is mounted.

Also 6.5" speaker will have a better frequency response than 5.25"
I regret not getting 6.5" speakers for my duster :(

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 2nd December 2014 at 06:46.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:26   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Well, well, well, even my wife says the same thing (she also complains that I have put on the TV too loud, whereas in reality I haven't changed the volume a bit after she finished watching her serials)!
=========That is a bigger problem than resolution. HD camera will cost you a pretty packet, and not give you any significant advantage.
The camera won't be smudged in my case because i won't be installing it in the bumper. I'm planning to get a genuine Nissan camera which would be mounted OE style under the rear strip above the number plate. It would point downwards instead of the usual parallel-to-road after-market fitments. This way the smudging would be minimal and the glare from the sun wont be an issue as well.
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 05:55   #204

I'm planning to Keep the HUD of Duster intact nad add the following:

AMP
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-A...225+channel%22

Comp Speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...+speakers+5.25

SUB
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...ords=subwoofer

This are being made available to me by the courtesy of my brother who is coming back from US. Please do let me know if this will be a good setup for a Duster.

This will probably cost me around 17K and then I'll buy coaxials from the showroom here. I've made a deal with the showroom guys that I'll buy the speakers provided they install the system for me which they have agreed to. I'll have to pay them on the side I guess.

Looking for advice!
machahary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 14:43   #205
BHPian

Quote:
damping for my car for Rs. 12000.
You will be wasting money if you are damping only for the sound leak, you wont see any difference. Damping can only reduce the flex of the panels and it has nothing to do with the sound leak. Its because of the lack of proper door seal in duster and its by design, probably you have to live with it. From my experience, its not 80%, but ~30-40%.

Quote:
HD is an overkill in the automotive environment, considering small screen sizes
It depends, the major difference is how clear a text can be readable esp small size text, on an HD panel it will be pretty clear and sharp. But for a RV camera it wont make any big difference compared to the cost.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th December 2014 at 14:46.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 10:18   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
You will be wasting money if you are damping only for the sound leak, you wont see any difference. Damping can only reduce the flex of the panels and it has nothing to do with the sound leak. Its because of the lack of proper door seal in duster and its by design, probably you have to live with it. From my experience, its not 80%, but ~30-40%.

It depends, the major difference is how clear a text can be readable esp small size text, on an HD panel it will be pretty clear and sharp. But for a RV camera it wont make any big difference compared to the cost.
Thanks for your reply. I agree it is 30-40% when the sound is low, but occasionally I do put the sound to medium volume (very bearable inside car) and even from our inner room (car park outside on road with drawing room in between and doors closed), the sound can be heard and it sounds pretty loud.

Ok, I checked with Monty and price is Rs. 12000, and if it won't make a difference, I shall not opt for it. Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
Sumit
sumitbhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:36   #207
BHPian

Quote:
and even from our inner room (car park outside on road with drawing room in between and doors closed), the sound can be heard and it sounds pretty loud.
I am not sure how you calculated the percentage. I am comparing the outside sound while standing outside to inner cabin sound while sitting inside, I felt almost the same ratio at almost all the volume levels. Anyways its not relevant, there is sound leakage.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 16:44   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... It depends, ...
IIRC, the comment was on the need for an HD version of the reversing camera.

As for the display, the need for reading clear crisp small text should not be there, considering that a. most of the times one refers to screen very infrequently, and b. most content (for example, the media player UI) presents information in pretty large fonts. HD is nice to have, but one really can't make out the difference even if one plays non-HD content (well, the old VCD VCR content shows up bad even on non-HD displays).
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 17:11   #209
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, the comment was on the need for an HD version of the reversing camera.

As for the display, the need for reading clear crisp small text should not be there, considering that a. most of the times one refers to screen very infrequently, and b. most content (for example, the media player UI) presents information in pretty large fonts. HD is nice to have, but one really can't make out the difference even if one plays non-HD content (well, the old VCD VCR content shows up bad even on non-HD displays).
I have made a comment on your generic statement about the the use of HD screen in an automotive environment an overkill.

I am not talking about the need for viewing any movie content. Since most of the newer 2DIN players started using the Android or IOS integration using different ways, the possibility of small fonts (not talking about very tiny texts) will be very much. There will be a lot of difference in the presentation of a static icon on an HD screen. Even an HD panel makes a difference in a big size text esp bitmap based fonts. The most imp use will be the efficient use of the available display size compared to normal panel.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 17:59   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have made a comment on your generic statement about the the use of HD screen in an automotive environment an overkill. ...
<Sigh> That was about the HD *CAMERA* requirement, sir, as I reiterated in my previous post. Whether he has a 7" normal WVGA screen or a 720p or even a 1080p screen, it doesn't really matter whether the feed was from a regular RV camera or an HD RV camera (which is very difficult to source). *Rear View Camera*, not discussing about "Screen".

Please read posts properly before commenting and starting unnecessary discussions. There is no value add to a thread if we do that.

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th December 2014 at 18:03.