Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th December 2014, 13:38   #211
BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

A quick question for @DerAlte .

How is this HU?:
Pioneer - AVH 179

Its available on Snapdeal for about 10k. From the looks and features, it seems about right. But i recall reading somewhere on this forum about some Pioneer touchscreen HU to be pretty bad due to some reason(s). Cannot exactly recall which model that was.

Can you throw some light here? I am looking to replace the stock HU of Nissan Terrano with this one. It doesn't have bluetooth, but its alright.
DeepakS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 15:52   #212

I booked my Terrano 85PS last week and expecting the delivery around the 3rd week of Jan'15.

I felt the HU was OK and don't plan to change it for a while, though the recommendations from @DerAlte on speakers is on the plans.

Between Duster & Terrano, I chose the latter considering all the Pros and Cons. The only thing I'm missing is the Steering audio controls.

I know Nissan sells it as an additional accessory, but you need to upgrade the HU. Even if you do so, the control is strapped on the wheel.

Anyways, I'm not sure if any Terrano owners have noticed, right behind the steering wheel on RHS, there is covering that covers the audio control stick slot (the one that is factory fitted on the Duster). I think it should come off.

Does anyone think it would be possible to install the Duster audio control stick on the Terrano? I'm sure it's not wireless, but a good technician should be able to do it.

Any thoughts?
DharmeshGohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 15:57   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
... i recall reading somewhere on this forum about some Pioneer touchscreen HU to be pretty bad due to some reason(s). ...
It is a current model (listed on Pio India website for 15K), and pretty basic - can't be bad. Don't recall bad review of Pio touchscreen HUs here. The only issue can be poor screen legibility in strong sunlight.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 17:58   #214
BHPian

Thumbs up re: ICE upgrade : Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is a current model (listed on Pio India website for 15K), and pretty basic - can't be bad. Don't recall bad review of Pio touchscreen HUs here. The only issue can be poor screen legibility in strong sunlight.
Thank you a ton, brother man! I've ordered 6.5" Hertz components for the Terrano. Are they too much inferior to the Infinity Primus? Or at par? Already have the Blau 4ch Amp and a Blau bass tube. I am thinking of going for this HU along with the whole setup.
Are there any other(better) touchscreen HUs which i can go for in the same price range(10-13k)?
Old 19th December 2014, 18:33   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... 6.5" Hertz components for the Terrano. Are they too much inferior to the Infinity Primus? Or at par? ...
Have you auditioned it? Can be bright for some. There is only sound signature to be judged - there is no inferior superior in this test.

Quote:
... Are there any other(better) touchscreen HUs which i can go for in the same price range(10-13k)?
There is Sony, but wouldn't recommend that.
Old 19th December 2014, 18:59   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Have you auditioned it? Can be bright for some. There is only sound signature to be judged - there is no inferior superior in this test.

There is Sony, but wouldn't recommend that.
Nopes. Haven't auditioned them. Here, in Jodhpur, we don't have many options for audio install. People go blindly with the car accessory shop's owner's suggestions and marketing BS.
The dealers don't have anything in stock. Anything other than their usual stock, is on-order.
I insisted on Infinity. But they weren't available with him. Hence, i went with Hertz. If, they're not as 'good' as the Infinity, i'll replace them after some time and place them in the rear doors and get a new pair of Infinity for the front doors. However, i am hoping that i would like the sound of Hertz. I am no audiophile. Give me clarity and some thump, and i am all good!
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 23:06   #217
BHPian

Quote:
I insisted on Infinity. But they weren't available with him. Hence, i went with Hertz.
Quite frankly, I have never heard Hertz extensively, so can't give you a verdict on that, but a friend and BHPian sudeep.pandya, has Infinity reference components in his set up, and they are ear threateningly bright, though otherwise very VFM. Hertz, whatever little I have experienced, will definitely be better than Infinity, IMHO!

But as gurus would agree, everybody has a different level of acceptance to sound frequencies.

I am a Focal fan boy, when it comes to speakers(on my fourth Focal set right now!), and people often have an opinion that Focals are very bright, where as to me they can at most be called dynamic, not bright. And I have auditioned components from a few very reputed brands but i still want to go back to my Focals!

Last edited by 599gto : 19th December 2014 at 23:07.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 10:15   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
... everybody has a different level of acceptance to sound frequencies. ...
Very true.

Quote:
... they can at most be called dynamic, not bright ...
'Bright' I understand. What is 'dynamic' in this context?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 11:01   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Quite frankly, I have never heard Hertz extensively, so can't give you a verdict on that, but a friend and BHPian sudeep.pandya....!
Thank you for the advice, good sir. A friend of mine got a pair of similar Hertz Components. And the sound isn't great at all. Matter of fact, it doesn't even feel like an upgrade from the OEM speakers of his XUV. Having said this, the point to note here is that he's driving these speakers from his HU, without an amplifier. The Hertz have no base whatsoever! I am beginning to think that either the amplifies is a must or the Hertz he got are not genuine. He did get the Hertz in original packing with all the warranty cards and all.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:37   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere in between bright and laidback

My amp is known to have a dynamic sound signature where in the higher range is very detailed but not bright.
I guess the simplest way I can define dynamic is probably bright but not harsh on the ears.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 13:13   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
... I guess the simplest way I can define dynamic is probably bright but not harsh on the ears.
LOL I hope it doesn't mean "keeps changing dynamically between bright and laidback (whenever it feels like)"!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 15:22   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, by saying that my speakers are dynamic, I meant that they are the best compromise between a bright set and a laid back set of components.

IMHO, laid back speakers sound a little too slouchy to me at times, and they tend to suppress a few frequencies, my exposure to laid back speakers is limited to Helix and Morel.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice, good sir. A friend of mine got a pair of similar Hertz Components. And the sound isn't great at all. Matter of fact, it doesn't even feel like an upgrade from the OEM speakers of his XUV.....
You're first line seems directly out of the Game of Thrones script!
Anyway, any entry level components from any brand doesn't sound like an improvement if they are powered directly off the HU, best bet is to power them through a decent amplifier and it will be good. Same with the more expensive set of components, they are power hungry and perform best only when given enough power!

Last edited by 599gto : 21st December 2014 at 15:29.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 14:58   #223
BHPian

Between the two as below, which one is a better suit for Duster ? Listed them based on e-Bay availability.

Focal Auditor Rip 130S 5.25-inch 2-Way Component Car Speaker Kit

Polk Audio DXi521 5.25" 2-Way COAXIAL Car Audio Speakers
soumobakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 15:36   #224
BHPian

It seems in audio, the terms are used as per ones will and wish. This can confuse people and can take different meaning.

Quote:
any entry level components from any brand doesn't sound like an improvement if they are powered directly off the HU
I doubt, unless you crank the HU to very high levels.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th January 2015 at 15:40.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 17:15   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Between the two as below, which one is a better suit for Duster ? Listed them based on e-Bay availability.

Focal Auditor Rip 130S 5.25-inch 2-Way Component Car Speaker Kit

Polk Audio DXi521 5.25" 2-Way COAXIAL Car Audio Speakers
Your own ears should be the best judge, as others' listening experience would be based on their preferences. Before buying online, it is better that you listen to them in cars first - there are plenty of good dealers / installers in Bangalore who can help you do that. Conversely, if a dealer / installer seems disinterested in giving you an audition, move on.

Based on your listening experience, you can always buy the model on eBay or Snapdeal any time. Sometimes, dealers / installers give you a better price than online stores.