Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 27th April 2006, 12:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
moreover, majority are those who are getting stuff via relatives....not everyone is so rich to go to US twice (or more) a year sir. and if u buy through ebay or etronics, they also offer a warranty of 1 year or so. so u can return to them as well!! i checked out pricegrabber, i wd say ebay still offer better deals (90% of the time).
Manufacturer dont honour warranty on products bought from etronics.com. The warranty is provided by the seller only, which may not always include replacement. It is better to buy for authorized internet dealers than these low cost sellers.

Most of these sellers dont even have proper contact info.
dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 22:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Navin, this is a good post you have brought up as many people here (myself included) who are trying to cut down expense while ICING tend to look to importing products.

This is something my dad has always told me, that if something is availible and its just a question of nominal differences then it is best to pay the extra and be done with it!

BUT there's also the question of him not wanting to spend 40 - 50k on icing my car. heheh

This thread is doing comparison with the US mostly... I might be travelling in asia sometime soon if Im lucky and im sure I will find some cheap deals. Quality of products is a completely different issue and lets not even get started with asia=inferior !!!!
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 22:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Where evr you buy from , see that they sell the good stuff; not a second class stuff. All my mobiles was frm outside India, so is my HU, and other elec goods.

If you buy stuff frm India, you have a neck to catch . I guess most of us prefer that.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 01:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Manufacturer dont honour warranty on products bought from etronics.com. The warranty is provided by the seller only, which may not always include replacement. It is better to buy for authorized internet dealers than these low cost sellers.

Most of these sellers dont even have proper contact info.
But, I have personally returned to etronics.com twice (even after using it for a while)
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 09:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
This thread is doing comparison with the US mostly... I might be travelling in asia !!!!
Unfortunately i am not familiar with the Asian markets. I am only familaira with US, Germany and Denmark.

The concepts is however the same. My contention is that for most products the differences between the product in India and outside is marignal. Taking in to account the level of service you recieve in India from the offiicial dealers vs the service the best US dealers can offer very few products are worth importing today.

I know dealers/distributors of some audio products personally. I know the margins they keep (hint: much much lower than US and EU dealers) and know the enviroment they operate in. I have high regard for these people as theirs is not an easy business.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 23:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I have high regard for these people as theirs is not an easy business.
well said navin boss, I FULLY agree to what u say here.....they are in a real tough business. but, i wd say there are LOT of stuff worth importing. go to a dealer with a faulty peice u wanna excahnge in India and in US....differnce would say it all!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 11:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well in India building a personal relationship with your dealer always helps. Chances are if you went to one of the 100's of dealers as a one of transaction you will not experience very great customer service.

On the other hand, abroad, customer service is looked into in great detail. Buy a pair of shoes, dont like them ?? Return with the original packaging and bill

BUT Navin has not generalised his statement. He is merely pointing out that a similar level of price/service & competency is availible in our country and also that the people involved in the business fight a tough battle. So to juggle everything and still put out a good show definately needs the thumbs up :-]

That said there's always 2 sides to the story!
Old 29th April 2006, 12:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Things are changing. The quality of service in india improves, every single day. These changes are brought about by education, awareness and competition. People like me take an active interest in what goes on at the very last level (installer to customer)
Demand customer service, it is your right, but please dont slam this country, there is lots of hope. We may not be the USA, but we're working a lot harder than them right now.
When you buy something in India, you buy it at your convenience, you can go back to return it in case of trouble. You can!! OK, there are bad egg dealers, but there are bad eggs EVERYWHERE. And how about the fact that often, the taxi ride to Sam Goody's will cost you $30 (Rs.1500/-)
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 16:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Things are changing. The quality of service in india improves, every single day. These changes are brought about by education, awareness and competition.
ERM ;-] Yes the 'times are a changin'
Improvements are taking place by leaps and strides.
And Sam hopefully you spurn a lot of changes in the
industry too !
Old 2nd May 2006, 00:04   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Demand customer service, it is your right, but please dont slam this country, there is lots of hope. We may not be the USA, but we're working a lot harder than them right now.
When you buy something in India, you buy it at your convenience, you can go back to return it in case of trouble. You can!! OK, there are bad egg dealers, but there are bad eggs EVERYWHERE. And how about the fact that often, the taxi ride to Sam Goody's will cost you $30 (Rs.1500/-)
1. Dont slam India atleast not on my watch!
2. We are not the USA we are better. Compare 26/7 to the New Orleans cyclone!
3. Forget Sam Goodys, Crazy Eddies was one better and a walk down 6th Av from Herald Square to Times Square in NYC will surely expose some more.
4. Sam and his friends have been working very very hard at changing things here. Some have been working in audio since before Sam was born!

Last edited by navin : 2nd May 2006 at 00:06.
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I did install it but not permanantly I tried it by just wiring it up and changed my mind. I had informed them when I bought it along with other stuff that I am from India and am travelling to India and these products will be taken there primarily so that they shipped it to me in NY before I left.

Cruchfield did not ask me any questions when I returned the stuff so I did not reinforce that I had installed the product in India etc... at the time I returned it. I figured they really dont care. I returned it in it orignal packing and in as original a condtion that was possible. I would not expect them to take it back otherwise.
Navin, guess they are not bothered where you use it as long as you return it in the US. Bought an ipod in the UK but could not get a replacement in Blore. Global warranty???
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

Apple like many companies does not stock enough spares in India. Some companies stock spares in countries like Singapore and one has to wait for service. Untill the Indian Govt rationalises the duty structure and the Indian market expands to ensure fast consumption of spares this will unfortunately be the norm.