Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th December 2007, 11:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Navinji,
This is what i was talking about. There's the plastic door panel just behind the spacer and the metal is about half an inch behind that.
No, fix the screw to the door panel only. If you fix it to the metal, even for minor repairs to the door lock or window winder you will have to dismantle your speaker mounting to remove the door panel.

To reduce the chance of rattling, stick some closed-cell foam sheet on the metal around the speaker hole, to make up for the gap between the metal and the door panel.

Be sure to countersink the holes on the spacer (those are 3/4" MDF spacers I think) so that the screws for mounting the spacer on the door panels do not foul with the speaker mounting underside.

Buck up, you're doing good. Don't worry, TBHPians are there to help.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 18:05   #77
BHPian

Which is the best way to have the metal cut?
Is it better to gas-cut it or with a chisel and a hammer ?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 18:14   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got mine done with channy and hathauda.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 23:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I saw blueraven's boys using a metal/sheet cutter. They looked like cutting pliers, but they cut the metal in a jiffy. IMO, that is the best option.

If you want to get it gas cut (like the metal below your parcel tray), make sure you take adequate precautions to protect the glass and its tinting, seats and seat covers. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with gas cutting - if done carelessly.

Chisel and hammer? IMO, it is a good way to loosen up a lot of things that can rattle and substitute for your stock parcel tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I got mine done with channy and hathauda.
Why-o-why? Am I missing something here?
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 14:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best way is to use a nibbler. This prevents adjoining metal from getting bent and warped like with a channi hathodi.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 14:48   #81
BHPian

Finally, found a very simple way to do it. I put a few nicks in the metal with a hacksaw and then bent the sheet with a hammer. Didnt need to use much force and no rattles - . I'll post pics later today.

Next Step : I'll be doing the sanding and finishing on the rings today. Hopefully they'll be ready for installation tomorrow.

One thing's still bothering me though, This screw (showin in pic) is going to be removed along with the plastic portion. And without it, the lower part of the panel becomes a bit unstable. How do i deal with that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The best way is to use a nibbler. This prevents adjoining metal from getting bent and warped like with a channi hathodi.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 23:53   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, fix the screw to the door panel only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I think I saw blueraven's boys using a metal/sheet cutter.
I assume this is the same thing as B&T's nibbler.

Quote:
One thing's still bothering me though, This screw (showin in pic) is going to be removed along with the plastic portion. And without it, the lower part of the panel becomes a bit unstable. How do i deal with that ?
This is a valid question more so becuase this is a corner and there is little room for an alternate screw. Maybe you can extend just this one screw till the metal panel behind it. I assume the exisiting screw on the palastic panel had a corresponding screw hole in the metal panel behind it. If you are very lucky your speaker's basket might offer you the opportunity to put a screw that attaches the basket to the plastic panel and then to the metal panel behind it.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 01:37   #83
BHPian

Default Re: maximum size of speaker in an indica....

Quote:
No, fix the screw to the door panel only. If you fix it to the metal, even for minor repairs to the door lock or window winder you will have to dismantle your speaker mounting to remove the door panel.

To reduce the chance of rattling, stick some closed-cell foam sheet on the metal around the speaker hole, to make up for the gap between the metal and the door panel.

Be sure to countersink the holes on the spacer (those are 3/4" MDF spacers I think) so that the screws for mounting the spacer on the door panels do not foul with the speaker mounting underside.

Buck up, you're doing good. Don't worry, TBHPians are there to help.
I was about to fit 6.5 inches Infinity Reference 6032i series to front door of Vista. Currently I have JBL 5.25" fitted in front door. Is it advisable to do so? Fitters say they have to cut the metal if they need to fit from inside. If it is to be fitted outside on the door plastic pads it will project outwards by an inch with a grille. Which would be better? Can you suggest some?

Thanks once again.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 29th November 2012 at 01:39.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 11:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
I... Fitters say they have to cut the metal if they need to fit from inside. If it is to be fitted outside on the door plastic pads it will project outwards by an inch with a grille. Which would be better? ...
1. 6.5" gives a better mid-bass than a 5.25". If you want to avoid fitting 6x9s or a sub, 6.5" will be better

2. The issue is of speaker depth. What the fitter is saying is that some metal needs to be cut from the inside metal layer of the door to ensure that the 6.5" speaker fits depth wise

3. If fitted on the doorpad from outside, the projection will be <12mm (less than 1/2") - that shouldn't be a problem. Ask the fitter to put a MDF spacer ring inside the doorpad to screw the speaker into - will stabilize the mounting area (the plastic is too thin to carry self-tapping screws)
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 12:37   #85
BHPian

Quote:
1. 6.5" gives a better mid-bass than a 5.25". If you want to avoid fitting 6x9s or a sub, 6.5" will be better

2. The issue is of speaker depth. What the fitter is saying is that some metal needs to be cut from the inside metal layer of the door to ensure that the 6.5" speaker fits depth wise

3. If fitted on the doorpad from outside, the projection will be <12mm (less than 1/2") - that shouldn't be a problem. Ask the fitter to put a MDF spacer ring inside the doorpad to screw the speaker into - will stabilize the mounting area (the plastic is too thin to carry self-tapping screws)
Thanks DerAlte,

I have GT5 JBLs (6x9)" Ovals fitted on MDF plank over boot in Vista. Changing them to Infinity Reference 9633i (6x9)". For front doors, currently I have round JBLs (5-1/4)" fitted on MDF spacer because Vista has space for 4" only. So trying to fit (6-1/2)" Infinity Reference coaxials for better sound.

The fitter was saying, if not inside the door, he will cut the door pad and fit on it with MDF spacers.

Sound will be great but the issue can be rain drops intrusion as the speakers would be projecting bit outwards. The outwards projection will be spacer thickness plus the grille thickness. There is also a tweeter on which there is a 0-3 dB switch.
Old 29th November 2012, 14:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
... The fitter was saying, if not inside the door, he will cut the door pad and fit on it with MDF spacers.

... the issue can be rain drops intrusion as the speakers would be projecting bit outwards. The outwards projection will be spacer thickness plus the grille thickness. ...
That is why I said ask him to put the MDF spacer *inside* the doorpad, and mount the speaker from outside the doorpad. The doorpad will be sandwiched between the speaker and the MDF spacer

Also tell him not to throw away the rubber ring of the speaker frame - use it between the frame and the doorpad

2. Ask him to stick a piece of good clear virgin plastic inside the doorpad, above the speaker. The loose end should *just* cover the rear of the speaker till the magnet - that is enough. Don't worry about raindrops on the front of the speaker - the grill prevents most of that
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

if rain is what worries you, worry not. I've been running hertz paper coned 5.25" comps in my indica v2 very much exposed, and despite all the rain, they've survived well for 4 years. and the ones you are fitting seem to be made of polypropylene, so it should be less of an issue.

Most of the vista installs I've read about here haven't had much problems with 6.5"ers, most have had to cut a bit of the insides of the door pads, but nothing that would be visible from outside.

worst case stick some door visors - they are ugly, but help to keep the rain outside

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th November 2012 at 16:29.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 18:26   #88
BHPian

Talking Re: maximum size of speaker in an indica....

I have had JBL 6.5 inch components on my Indigo for a year now. They were installed with an MDF spacer ring. Anyways I haven't faced any issues with rain so far, mostly because I refrain from driving in the rain with the windows open, or holding the door open in a rain, or opening the door in a flood .

Seriously, The point is all you need to do is to just take some basic care, remember that the expensive speakers are on the door. I recommend always playing some good audio really loud to continually remind you of said speakers' worth.

It must be said that the MDF ring doesn't do wonders for the car's decor. But in a sad way, it matches the less than awesome finish on the rest of the plastics. If it really really bugs you that the MDF rings spoil the looks, you can always go to some really good installers who will no doubt take your cash and outfit your ride with some custom molded door pads.

Last edited by vivekgk : 29th November 2012 at 18:29.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 18:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

vivek the problem is that when you need to remove the door pads for something - say power window or locking issues, you need to dismantle the spacers and rescrew them back again - which may damage the doorpads, or you would end up with a new set of holes in your door panels each time they are refitted, which would increase chances of rust. Anyway this gentleman has a vista, and his doorpad design is a bit different from ours
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 23:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if rain is what worries you, worry not. I've been running hertz paper coned 5.25" comps in my indica v2 very much exposed, and despite all the rain, they've survived well for 4 years. and the ones you are fitting seem to be made of polypropylene, so it should be less of an issue.

Most of the vista installs I've read about here haven't had much problems with 6.5"ers, most have had to cut a bit of the insides of the door pads, but nothing that would be visible from outside....
Thanks for the valuable info on Vista 6.5" speakers. My first step is to have a chance to fit them on the metal as normally we do. After opening it I will come to know whether the fitter can fit it taking into the consideration of the glass. Some say the speaker cone travel at loud volume might give a jarring effect.

Quote:
That is why I said ask him to put the MDF spacer *inside* the doorpad, and mount the speaker from outside the doorpad. The doorpad will be sandwiched between the speaker and the MDF spacer

Also tell him not to throw away the rubber ring of the speaker frame - use it between the frame and the doorpad

2. Ask him to stick a piece of good clear virgin plastic inside the doorpad, above the speaker. The loose end should *just* cover the rear of the speaker till the magnet - that is enough. Don't worry about raindrops on the front of the speaker - the grill prevents most of that
Thanks DerAlte. I will try to fit as you said if it cannot be fitted normally on the metal. Fitting on metal would lead to easy maintenance of the glass, power windows system and the lock system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I have had JBL 6.5 inch components on my Indigo for a year now. They were installed with an MDF spacer ring. Anyways I haven't faced any issues with rain so far, mostly because I refrain from driving in the rain with the windows open, or holding the door open in a rain, or opening the door in a flood .....
Thanks Vivek, I have seen the speakers fitted on Indigo, the speaker grille is round, easy to cut and looks better after fitting. In Vista, the speaker grille is of assorted shape from outside. If fitted from outside, the speaker look as if mounted on the grille.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 29th November 2012 at 23:41.