jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 09:26   #18
BHPian

yes jk there is place for a 2 din setup unlike a santro
tsreekaranrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 10:56   #19
BHPian

Johy,
Sorry, I had a hectic weekend so I couldn't take the photos. I will try to make it soon.

These boxed are sold as readymade in Bangalore (in almost all car decor shops). They are made of MDF (Particle Wood Board) and have clothes pasted all over it which matches the car upholstery. It already comes with oval/round cutouts on its top to hold the speakers.

You can also get those boxes done by any carpenter, as wood are cheaper in Siliguri. If you are in a hurry, you can go for HU and Front speakers right now and ask the installer to keep a provision for adding the rear speakers. You can add the rear speakers later, once you decide on how you want to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy
Yes, Sourav - I sat for a while in the rear seat of the car today and reclined it...I think it is a great feature, especially if you are being driven. I am looking forward to pictures of the rear boxes...can I get it custom made? Which material?
souravbasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Hi sourav,

I talked to one shop today. He said the he had MDF speaker boxes and all - everything ready.

He is offering me:

1. HU Pioneer 5850 - Rs 7000/-
2. Pioneer 4" coaxial for front - Rs 700/-
3. JBL 6" oval for rear - 3500/-
4. Speaker boxes (MDF) - Rs 450/-

Total 11650/-

I don't know the model # of the speakers; I will have to talk to him again when I visit the shop ..later this week. Unfortunately, everything is closed today being polling day.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
very nice SB. you could replace teh 2104 with the GTO 426 for a bit more.
Hey Navin,

I think I will ask for the GTO426 for the front speakers. The vendor I talked to today was talking about some JBL front speakers - did not specify the model - he said that the it has the tweeters as well (?component speakers), which would cause the front speakers grills in the Wagon R to come off due to vibrations...and so he was suggesting Pioneer. Any clues on this one?
Old 8th May 2006, 15:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Navin,

I think I will ask for the GTO426 for the front speakers. The vendor I talked to today was talking about some JBL front speakers - did not specify the model - he said that the it has the tweeters as well (?component speakers), which would cause the front speakers grills in the Wagon R to come off due to vibrations...and so he was suggesting Pioneer. Any clues on this one?
no dude. Just get 426 for frnt instead of the pios. And anyway you cant get a compo for teh frnt unless you want some fibre works. Either he is ignorant or he is selling you a bad pio which he want to sell off badly. I would say; try another shop.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:37   #23
BHPian

Please dont do the mistake that I did, by not getting a good speaker for front. Go for GTO 426/427e JBL speakers for front, by paying few extra hundreds. The problem with WagonR is that it has a space of 4". So when you put the rear speakers, the front speakers will tend to fade away because of its smaller size and lower output.

JBL's GTO 426/427 4" has a higher wattage which will make a better sound and will match the rear speakers.

Some extra tips:
0. Carry your own CD and MP3 CD for demo.
1. Also be sure to check the radio antenna is tight enough before it is installed. In my case the antenna is already loose after 2/3 times of use :(. But I can still live with it.
2. Check how he installs the HU. Know from him how you can remove it. You might need a pair of key to remove it.
3. If possible ask the installer to use soldering for joining wires rather than tapes. If not possible the ask him to do the joining properly with care.
4. For rear speakers ash him to keep a plug arrangement in the wiring, so that the speakers could be removed and kept at home (in case you need the full boot space).
5. Get the User Manual and Installation Manual from the installer. They are 2 different booklets.
6. Always make a good rapport with the installer and convince him to give you a better buyback rate when you plan to upgrade your HU (next is a DVD player ???).
7. Check if the panning of audio channels Right&Left is both at same volume.

All the best, and I hope to get a ride when I come to Siliguri in future !!

Quote:
Hi sourav,

I talked to one shop today. He said the he had MDF speaker boxes and all - everything ready.

He is offering me:

1. HU Pioneer 5850 - Rs 7000/-
2. Pioneer 4" coaxial for front - Rs 700/-
3. JBL 6" oval for rear - 3500/-
4. Speaker boxes (MDF) - Rs 450/-

Total 11650/-

I don't know the model # of the speakers; I will have to talk to him again when I visit the shop ..later this week. Unfortunately, everything is closed today being polling day.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Hi sourav,

I am going to keep these notes handy when I go on my rounds of these shops ..probably this Saturday.

You are MOST WELCOME for the ride in Siliguri!! ...and perhaps go all the way to the hills

Hi JK,

I will stick to getting those 426s for the front speakers! I sure will.

Thanks so much.
Old 8th May 2006, 15:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you want a dvd, JVC has one for 10k!
Old 8th May 2006, 19:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
In case you want a dvd, JVC has one for 10k!
Hi JK,

Which model #?
Old 10th May 2006, 06:45   #27
BHPian

Default Confused selecting the HU

Hi,

I had narrowed my search down to two head units:

1. Pioneer 5750: For the 3-preouts. However, the vendors says the model is oudated and is not available any more. Should I get 5750 over 5850 for the 3 preouts? Perhaps I can get it on Ebay India.
2. Pioneer 5850: A newer model, but only 2 preouts????? Vendor is quoting Rs 8300/- for this. Is it a fair price?

3. What are the comparable Sony models?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johy : 10th May 2006 at 06:47.
Old 10th May 2006, 08:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Instead of searching for the 5750, I would suggest you get the 6850 which is around 9K or so.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 09:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi JK,

Which model #?
JVC KD-DV5103 & 5104

5103 is black and 04 the silver one

Get 6850 as Gunbir said. Its worth teh extra money
Old 10th May 2006, 12:54   #30
BHPian

Yes , better go for Pioneer 6850. It has a very nice display and you can browse through name of folders and songs in Mp3 CD without changing the song. It has front Aux-IN also (find it in the bottom of the pannel) for connecting your iPOD or other players.

IMO, equivalent to Pioneer 5750 in Sony is CDX-GT350S. It costed me 6.5K from Grey, but now it should be around 6k. I dont have any problem so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Get 6850 as Gunbir said. Its worth teh extra money