Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th October 2007, 12:17   #31
BHPian

Default Power invertors

Hi,

I came across this product called as "Power Invertor". HomeShop18 .

Advantages of this device could be,
1. Can charge my laptop!
2. Can use my existing mobile charger.
3. Can use my existing camera battery charger.
4. Can use my existing charger for PMP,ipod!

My worries:-
1. How will it impact my car's batteries?(Lets assume that I use it just to charge various batteries, thus power consumption is not more than 50W and I use it while driving only.)
2. Is the cost of the product justified?
3. Any adverse impact on the AC devices?
4. Woudl you guys recommend buying this adapter?

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 13:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

I have this product lying unused in my car now.. Lemme know if you are interested via PM.

Reason for selling: I don't have a cigarette lighter in the car now. And I have a CarPC installed

I haven't really used it to charge the laptop. I have charged my phone and GPS off it without any problem.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 13:32   #33
Team-BHP Support

I have such a product too, but currently looking for MX audio dealerships in noida so that I can get a power cable to charge it from lighter socket.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 13:44   #34
BHPian

thanks spadival,
will contact you once I get my car(shud happen by mid next week).

by the way, I wanted to know if its ok to use something like this with the standard car battery(of Esteem) or its advisible to have some high performance battery?

Regards,
Old 25th October 2007, 13:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

You need to check how much power does your laptop draw. shouldn't be a problem if around 100W. Remember that your laptop/mobile phones themselves are DC powered devices. So in a way, you are performing a unnecessary and lossy conversion to AC.

More details about this product:
1. It makes a screeching sound when powered up - Just an indication that its powering up.
2. It has a blue LED which I found irritating while driving.
3. It doesn't exactly snug fit on the Baleno cup holder.
4. Quality including finish is very good - it has all kinds of protection built in (Overload, overheat, short circuit, reverse connection and under voltage protection).
5. Built in USB charger port is very useful.

Last edited by spadival : 25th October 2007 at 14:00.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008, 23:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Car Inverters

Fellow BHP-ians!

Over a period of time, between me and my wife, we have accumulated an assortment of phones all requiring different chargers. Given that we travel frequently, the potential of having to invest in all the respective car chargers - and the potential mess it'd create in a closed car environment - has driven us into investigating the 'Car Inverter' solutions available in India.

I keep reading about 'AXIOM Car Inverters' here and there. It comes in three capacities - 75/150/300 Watts. The first two cost 1200/1500 respectively. What might I need? Has anyone used these car inverters? Do they give stable supply? Are they reliable? Are there any other cheaper, yet reliable, options available in India?

Any and all inputs are welcome and much appreciated!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 00:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

I have watts 250 model . It is not AXIOM but works fine. I use it to run my laptop during SPL sessions.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 01:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hey LBM!!...

You 'sessions' are now a part of T-Bhp legend!...

How much did this cost you and where did you pick it up from? It'll also help if you know the brand name - that way I'll find out if the same can be sourced locally.
Old 26th February 2008, 02:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks KB !!!

Will post the pic of the same tomm. Got it from Expert in Karol Bagh. I bought it about a year back.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 02:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

And the cost?? ..... 2020
Old 26th February 2008, 08:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

i read that these are step waves, not sinusoidal. hence actual output is not smooth and not really the wattage claimed.

is it good enough for laptops? for my 75 watt laptop charger, i am planning to take at least 150 watt inverter. probably will stretch it upto 400, to keep the output much lower than peak.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008, 08:46   #42
BHPian

I have AXIOM 75W. Bought it online. Before buying it I posted a querry on there website asking abt the warrenty and quality(specificly if it is cheap chinese made) of the product.
I got a call from them..assuring me that its not cheep chinese product and is covered under 1 yr warrenty.

I have used it to charge my mobile and camera batteries. so far its working fine.

Regards,
Old 26th February 2008, 15:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

I use a 300 W PCW invertor and have been doing so since 2005. Initially bought it to run my Garmin GPS iQue 3600 since it didn't have a car charger and its battery used to conk off pretty soon.

Later it has been used to run my laptop, charge camera batteries etc. Haven't given any trouble so far..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 00:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
What is your exact purpose ..If the purpose is charging the laptop then Its better to get a 12V Laptop charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
As many have said, it makes little sense to do what you're planning. consider the two alternatives

1. 12V DC from Car battery --->[Inverter]---> 220V AC --->[laptop pwer adapter] ---> 12V DC again.

2. 12V DC ----> laptop

Method 2 seems more direct, efficient and reliable right? Why dont you look for a laptop car adapter accessory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can go for it, but there are a few precautions you need to take w.r.t wattage.
Your 12V socket has 10amp capability, that translates to around 110-120W. If you take losses into consideration, the 220V adapter you take can power 80W devices at most without blowing fuse.
So you are left with laptop at most, or mobile phones.
Most such things like ipods, laptops, etc., have cheap third party car adaptors, so better get those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
hi... I got belkin a 1000 watts... using it since last 2 years.

no problems at all and it "is" very handy.
So chaps, can make it easy for me please?
From what you all have been saying, it seems like I just need a 12v laptop adapter. Is that correct?

If yes, where can I get a reliable one for my IBM Thinkpad? The AC->DC adapter for my laptop has an output going into the laptop 16V - 4.5 Amp.

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 15:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
So chaps, can make it easy for me please?
From what you all have been saying, it seems like I just need a 12v laptop adapter. Is that correct?

If yes, where can I get a reliable one for my IBM Thinkpad? The AC->DC adapter for my laptop has an output going into the laptop 16V - 4.5 Amp.

BH.
Check on the reverse of the ac-dc adapter. It has a wattage and output volts printed. The wattage is important to determine what inverter capacity you should buy.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote