Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 26th July 2011, 15:10   #76
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Car Inverter-Cum-Charger With 220 V AC Supply

Thank you, narayanang76. I had already purchased one LED flashlight from DX. Yes, it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to reach us. Since Belkin is a popular brand, I have opted for it.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:51   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Just a few minutes back, I placed an online order with letsbuy.com for Belkin F5L071Ak200W AC Anywhere + Usb Port + 200W costing Rs 1499 inclusive of shipping and delivery. This is my first transaction with letsbuy.com.
Today, I received it from Blue Dart courier. Manufactured by Belkin Inc., USA, made in China, imported by a Bangalore-based company and sold by another New Delhi-based one! Letsbuy.com did it really super-fast.
Name:  DSC04227.JPG
Views: 3848
Size:  81.6 KBName:  DSC04228.JPG
Views: 3324
Size:  74.5 KB
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 14:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, I received it from Blue Dart courier. Manufactured by Belkin Inc., USA, made in China, imported by a Bangalore-based company and sold by another New Delhi-based one! Letsbuy.com did it really super-fast.
Attachment 584500Attachment 584501
Congrats for the new arrival. Please post a detailed review esp. after charging a laptop(a full charge by discharging it fully first).

Last edited by mithun : 31st July 2011 at 14:01.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 17:50   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Congrats for the new arrival. Please post a detailed review esp. after charging a laptop(a full charge by discharging it fully first).
Thanks for the wishes, mithun. I successfully tested it with my laptop and Nokia N95; both of them started charging immediately. However, I will try full charging of these gadgets during my next long trip while driving as I do not want to take the risk of battery-drain!

People buying from letsbuy.com can use e-coupon RCOMLB1 and get discount. Fellow BHPian gautamkhadse shared this coupon after I bought this car inverter from letsbuy.com!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 31st July 2011 at 17:56.
Old 31st July 2011, 18:14   #80
BHPian

Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I am using a Belkin with 200W output. Works great, also has a USB charging port.
Quote:
Just a few minutes back, I placed an online order with letsbuy.com for Belkin F5L071Ak200W AC Anywhere + Usb Port + 200W costing Rs 1499 inclusive of shipping and delivery. This is my first transaction with letsbuy.com. Thanks a lot for recommending Belkin.
In Delhi, such power inverters from Belkin (don't remember the specific model no) are quite easily available. 200W. About 1.5k. One could easily find them in Nehru place. Have also seen them in some stationary shops! As said above, they have a USB port and an inbuilt fuse too.

One could visit the computer markets in one's city to get one. Should not be much of an issue in bigger towns, I expect.

PS: Sorry I didn't read the whole thread and hope this will help some.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 22:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a few minutes back, I placed an online order with letsbuy.com for Belkin F5L071Ak200W AC Anywhere + Usb Port + 200W costing Rs 1499 inclusive of shipping and delivery. This is my first transaction with letsbuy.com. Thanks a lot for recommending Belkin.
Do post your experience with the product once you use it for a while.Thanks
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 07:31   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Do post your experience with the product once you use it for a while.Thanks
Sure. My Linea will be carrying it for my Leh trip this month. I shall post my experience by then.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

I use a 100W, 250 INR inverter inside my car, directly connected to battery via a fuse, I use it for charging laptop, mobile phones. It fulfills 90% of my applications.

Go to a local electric shop and ask him for a local 12V to 220V converter (this one is used by THELA wallas to power their tubelights and small speakers).

I am using the same from past 2 years and it has'nt given a single problem and produces no interference.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:16   #84
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I'm in search for in-car laptop charger and found the BELKIN offer, same as Ravi's. Thanks Ravi.

But I came across this one, DC to DC converter. In your expert opinion, what would be the best choice DC-AC-DC converter or DC-DC converter?

I can think of following drawbacks:

DC-AC-DC:
1) Unnecessary conversion to AC, since the input and output are DC
2) Chances of getting overheat/overloaded
3) Risk of blowing of car fuse?

DC-DC:
1) Less heat
2) Risk of blowing off laptop due to inappropriate volate?

I’m not sure whether my assumptions are valid, but please correct me if Im wrong. Have I missed any other drawbacks?

Many thanks
wmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:18   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I use a 100W, 250 INR inverter inside my car, directly connected to battery via a fuse, I use it for charging laptop, mobile phones. It fulfills 90% of my applications.

Go to a local electric shop and ask him for a local 12V to 220V converter (this one is used by THELA wallas to power their tubelights and small speakers).

I am using the same from past 2 years and it has'nt given a single problem and produces no interference.
I must saw you are a brave (and lucky!) soul. Most inexpensive invertors suffer from spikes, and I for one will not risk my laptop and/or mobile to such unbranded units. For mobiles chargers from 12V lighters are available quite reasonably.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 16:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I must saw you are a brave (and lucky!) soul. Most inexpensive invertors suffer from spikes, and I for one will not risk my laptop and/or mobile to such unbranded units. For mobiles chargers from 12V lighters are available quite reasonably.
As we all know that a laptop charger or any other charging unit has its own regulator and rectifier which takes care of all the voltage fluctuations, there is not much DANGER, untill one use a fuse. It's SAFE! trust me.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

@mercedised; Modern switching mode power supplies are very bad at handling spikes. A fuse does not protect against spikes. Best of luck to you.

Remember some time ago, electronic fan regulators did not survive long with inverters. The culprit in 90%+ of the cases was spikes.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 19:21   #88
BHPian

Default Ac 240V- DC 12V converter

@ mods:Please put this in apprpriate thread.

I bought an Ac 240V- DC 12V converter from Car Charger Switch for Home & Office 0005 [Charger0005] - Rs.199.00 : Johan Car Jewels -, Your Car Needs Ends Here!

It is giving 12V output(I tested with a multimeter).But I am not able to run a car vaccum cleaner from this.I strongly doubt that it is because of a low Amp.Please correct me if I am wrong.How to fix this issue?
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 20:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ac 240V- DC 12V converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
@ mods:Please put this in apprpriate thread.

I bought an Ac 240V- DC 12V converter from Car Charger Switch for Home & Office 0005 [Charger0005] - Rs.199.00 : Johan Car Jewels -, Your Car Needs Ends Here!

It is giving 12V output(I tested with a multimeter).But I am not able to run a car vaccum cleaner from this.I strongly doubt that it is because of a low Amp.Please correct me if I am wrong.How to fix this issue?
What is the wattage of your vaccum cleaner? And what is the current rating for the 12V outlet of the converter you have bought?

This one looks tobe a 70-100W only converter.
Old 7th September 2011, 20:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ac 240V- DC 12V converter

you need atleast 1.5 amps to run that kind of motor.

This looks like a 125-250 mAmp adapter
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote