Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 12:02   #121
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 450
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Could anyone help me if the following can be used for my Car Vacuum Cleaner (Black & Decker ACV 1205: 12V, 12.5W) for home purposes.

According to the description on the adaptor, I think it fits the input requirements of the vacuum cleaner.

Source: Google search
Theoretically going by the picture - Yes. But I am not sure about its longevity. At a glance it is a SMPS power supply and these things are designed for short duration low duty usage. Your usage might run for a few minutes which would overheat your power supply and it may fail.

You would be better off to go for a bulky transformer based conventional power supply they use to power car stereos at home.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 16:01   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Could anyone help me if the following can be used for my Car Vacuum Cleaner (Black & Decker ACV 1205: 12V, 12.5W) for home purposes. ...
This unit gives 150VA (12VDCx12.5VA). You vacuum cleaner needs slightly more than 1A (12.5W at 12VDC). This should work quite well, without heating or any problems.

For an alternative, do check with electronics shops in your area - there might be a locally made 'battery eliminator' of 24VA (12V, 2A) rating. You will only need a cig lighter socket instead of the usual plug.

Hope you have mentioned the rating of the vacuum cleaner correctly.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 23:49   #123
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

OK guys, I need your help. I want to use my smartphone (Galaxy S3) for GPS navigation in the car.

I recently bought a car charger of the normal type (5V, 500 mAh), which is able to charge the phone (albeit slower than with an AC outlet). But as soon as I turn on the GPS and navigation, the phone starts discharging slowly, although it says it's being charged.

Will a DC-AC car inverter solve the problem for me? What is the rating I should be looking for?

Or should I get a better quality normal charger? I remember I used to use a Belkin one (5V, 1 Ah) a few years ago which also had the same problem, so maybe not.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:36   #124
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 450
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
OK guys, I need your help. I want to use my smartphone (Galaxy S3) for GPS navigation in the car.

I recently bought a car charger of the normal type (5V, 500 mAh), which is able to charge the phone (albeit slower than with an AC outlet). But as soon as I turn on the GPS and navigation, the phone starts discharging slowly, although it says it's being charged.

Will a DC-AC car inverter solve the problem for me? What is the rating I should be looking for?
Try the Belkin inverter 200 VA. 200 W is more than enough to charge your mobile as well a laptop. Actually the consumption will depend on the power output drawn.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:56   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

I have a question on the car inverter. Most of these use the cigarette lighter charger as the input from Battery. Now my Figo has 10 ampere fuse between battery and this cigarette lighter charger. So for a 12V battery and 10 ampere max current, I should be using 120 watts inverter only. But I see quite a few people using inverter with higher wattage like 200W or more. How is it done? Wouldn't the fuse blow if I use 200 w inverter?

BTW, where can I buy a reliable car inverter online?
shipnil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:42   #126
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 450
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Now my Figo has 10 ampere fuse between battery and this cigarette lighter charger. So for a 12V battery and 10 ampere max current, I should be using 120 watts inverter only. But I see quite a few people using inverter with higher wattage like 200W or more. How is it done? Wouldn't the fuse blow if I use 200 w inverter?

BTW, where can I buy a reliable car inverter online?
Actually the converter consumes current based on the load connected to it plus its 'overhead'. So most of the normal usage in a car rarely exceeds 100 W ( at 220 V AC) and so it is not a problem. Besides the fuse used in automobile is slow blow which means the fuse won't blow with transients.

You can buy Belkin inverters from any of the popular online stores like ebay.co.in and snapdeal.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 16:51   #127
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
... the fuse used in automobile is slow blow which means the fuse won't blow with transients. ...
Are you sure?

I thought all the automotive fuses (provided in the car fuse box, not the ones in accessories) are higher-than-actual-load rated fast blow fuses. And they blow on high transients only. If you add up all the fuse ratings, it will far exceed the current generation capability of the alternator or battery.

Some of those fuses do deteriorate over time and blow early.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:26   #128
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 450
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Are you sure?

I thought all the automotive fuses (provided in the car fuse box, not the ones in accessories) are higher-than-actual-load rated fast blow fuses. And they blow on high transients only. If you add up all the fuse ratings, it will far exceed the current generation capability of the alternator or battery.

Some of those fuses do deteriorate over time and blow early.
Sorry DelAlte Sir. I am not sure about all fuses. Most of the ones I have seen in the cars I came across had a (spiral) - coiled wire inside which generally indicated that they are slow blow types going by the glass types. Besides it will become a nuisance if the initial surge current of a cold filament keeps the fuse blowing.

Last edited by Prowler : 3rd September 2013 at 17:28.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:37   #129
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
... Most of the ones I have seen in the cars I came across had a (spiral) - coiled wire inside which generally indicated that they are slow blow types going by the glass types. ...
Spiral fuses? Yes, would be slow-blow (there are many different types of slow-blow fuse construction), but in which car? Today all cars that I have seen use this type (called Blade-type fuse):

Name:  automotivefuse250x250.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  13.5 KB

The U-shaped element can take some surge, but is this is not a slow-blow.

Last edited by DerAlte : 3rd September 2013 at 17:38.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:56   #130
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 450
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Spiral fuses? Yes, would be slow-blow (there are many different types of slow-blow fuse construction), but in which car? Today all cars that I have seen use this type (called Blade-type fuse):

Attachment 1133435

The U-shaped element can take some surge, but is this is not a slow-blow.
Yes Sir. All modern cars come with the blade type automotive fuses. The slow blow types come in a different shape. I should have qualified my earlier statement in a clearer way.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:20   #131
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,590
Thanked: 8,132 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

I have been using this product from Belkin since more than 3 years now without a single issue of blown fuse. I have mostly used it for charging Laptops, Camera batteries, Rechargable cells.

I like the product due to various reasons - Overload Indicator, Separate fuse on the device itself, additional USB socket for USB Charging and the usual good reviews on Belkin products.

Even the gauge of wire is of very good thickness that leaves no room for heating up due to load.

Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc-belkin.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd September 2013 at 18:24.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:48   #132
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,655
Thanked: 14,993 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have been using this product from Belkin since more than 3 years now without a single issue of blown fuse. I have mostly used it for charging Laptops, Camera batteries, Rechargable cells.

I like the product due to various reasons - Overload Indicator, Separate fuse on the device itself, additional USB socket for USB Charging and the usual good reviews on Belkin products.

Even the gauge of wire is of very good thickness that leaves no room for heating up due to load.

Attachment 1133470
I have the same unit. Works like a charm. Quality is excellent and accompanies us on all our trips.
The socket shape takes american as well as Indian plugs
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:53   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Hi,
I bought the Belkin ac anywhere last week on ebay.
I find that the cooling fan is on always and makes a fair bit of noise. Has anyone else encountered such an issue or is this normal?
check and post your finding.

Cheers!
praveen.ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:11   #134
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,590
Thanked: 8,132 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen.ba View Post
Hi,
I find that the cooling fan is on always and makes a fair bit of noise. Has anyone else encountered such an issue or is this normal?
This is absolutely normal. Nothing to worry here. The Fan does make a bit of noise like a DC motor. You may however change the way Belkin is resting or change the surface and lay it on the floor. It should reduce the noise for sure.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 13:08   #135
BHPian
 
meetbadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 141
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Car Battery to 220V AC convertor / inverter for charging laptop etc

I would like to buy one for myself mainly to charge camera batteries. Is it enough if I go for 80 W inverter?
meetbadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop Battery charging? VMG Technical Stuff 1 17th August 2007 15:26
Charging my phone via laptop or PC abhibh Gadgets, Computers & Software 33 30th July 2007 12:35
Pre Fuel injection treatment by Electronic Convertor for Diesel and Petrol Suryam Technical Stuff 0 1st February 2005 11:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks