Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th December 2012, 14:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: HP, Sony & Transcend Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i suspect a FAT vs FAT32 issue, but less to do with transcend since the pen drive works fine on the laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have had the problems with 8GB Pen Drives both HP and Sony in my Brio, The Transcend 8GB works fine. All three are Ok with my Civic. The system has a problem initialising the drives.
Just checked my Kingston (not Transcend, sorry for the mistake) 8GB Unit. It is FAT32 so that is not an issue.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 15:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: HP, Sony & Transcend Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

I wonder if its a U3 issue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3
these devices are not detected as standard mass storage, so might lead to issues. Best would be to buy a device that works as plain mass storage, and nothing else
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 16:04   #18
BHPian

I have been using 4GB to 16GB pen drives from HP, Sony and Transcend and have NEVER faced any issues. It works fine on the Pioneer Headunit in my Indica and the stock HU in my Manza. Even with 1000+ songs on the pen drive there is no issue either reading it or the HU hanging.

Could be formatting issues on the pen drive.
BeantownThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 16:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Pen Drives : Compatibility issues with Head-Units

@BeantownThinker, The same drive is happy in my Civic. Looking at the flashinf of the LED in the Sony it looks like an initialisation issue.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 16:32   #20
BHPian

HP pen drives seem to have some problems with most HU's (My Observation).
My HP 4gb and Strontium 8gb pen-drives do not work on my pioneer 6050ub.
(Both are formatted in FAT 32 Format, work with my older JBL HU)
The Sandisk ones which are the cheapest work flawlessly.
Although cheap and not so good looking, I have had absolutely no problems with these drives in 4,8 and 16gb capacities.
I have attached the picture for reference.
P.S.- Now i have got rid of pen drives, and connect my Ipod touch through USB. One major advantage being custom playlists. Also while listening to a song, i get into my car and plug in the Ipod and the same song starts playing.
Attached Images

rajanprash is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 16:53   #21
BHPian

Hello vikram_d

I am using Alpine iXA-404 E headunit , and as per the manual it supports 256 folders and 10000 songs per folder . However i have only 20 folders under the root , not sub directories . And the same data along with folders works on 16 gb kingston and sandisk pendrives then why not on transcend and HP pen drives , i am using same FAT 32 format on all drives . I have tried reformatting the pendrives but its of no use . Theres something to with hardware latency inside then pendrives of HP , transcend which make the headunits read it for ages during initialization and finally headunits gives up and gets hanged . The same headunit is with my brother who deals in auto accessories business has seen the same issue on other headunits as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
What head unit are you using? Can you give me the exact model details. Will try and do some research into this problem.

Would like you to try out a few experiments.

1. Format the USB drive using FAT32 and 32K cluster size and then copy the songs in the existing method that you are doing right now.
2. Format with FAT16 and default cluster size and see if this makes any difference.
3. Copy the MP3 files directly to the root of the USB drive without creating any folders.

If you could do this and let me know the results it will be of great help.

I have a 32Gb Transcend and it works perfectly with my JVC KW-AVX820 series head unit.
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 17:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello vikram_d

I am using Alpine iXA-404 E headunit , and as per the manual it supports 256 folders and 10000 songs per folder . However i have only 20 folders under the root , not sub directories . And the same data along with folders works on 16 gb kingston and sandisk pendrives then why not on transcend and HP pen drives , i am using same FAT 32 format on all drives . I have tried reformatting the pendrives but its of no use . Theres something to with hardware latency inside then pendrives of HP , transcend which make the headunits read it for ages during initialization and finally headunits gives up and gets hanged . The same headunit is with my brother who deals in auto accessories business has seen the same issue on other headunits as well .
Can you try the first experiment that I have mentioned? Format using FAT32 and 32k cluster size/allocation unit size. Normally 32k cluster sizes are read faster than 4k cluster units which is the default while formatting with Windows.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 22:06   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Can you try the first experiment that I have mentioned? Format using FAT32 and 32k cluster size/allocation unit size. Normally 32k cluster sizes are read faster than 4k cluster units which is the default while formatting with Windows.
Thanks Vikram for the tip. I did try this after returning from work. Took a 16GB HP drive that was not working in the car. Did a full format (not a quick-format) with 32kb cluster size. Copied 6GB of music on it and tried again in the XUV. It recognized the drive really fast and started playing the first song from first directory.

But when I pressed "List" it showed only 4 directories instead of 8.

Again, I do believe that the solution that you are suggesting works. The partial problem that still exists can be attributed to XUV's infotainment system which has a track record of buggy software.

Thanks again!
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 22:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Seems, you have to wait for some time to the system to read the full directories from the USB drive.
Normally it happens in my linea too if I plan to select a folders immediately after i clip the Pen drive in the USB slot. If I give some time to read and I can find the entire folders/directories listed.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:04   #25
BHPian

QUOTE=latentpotential;2998161]To add for other users as well:
The head units given by default in the new Maruti's (Ertiga/ Swift) support 16 Gb pen drives from any make, have used with Chinese, and also with HP and Sony. CUrrently using a 16 Gb Sandisk.
These headunits have another issue of not recognizing some MP3 files, and hence they tend to not play them without giving an error, I have not spent time on understanding the cause.[/quote]

Even I am facing the same problem in my Ertiga ZDI which comes with the Nippon head unit. I am using a HP, Kingston, Sandisk, Moserbaer 8GB sticks. I see some songs not playing on my HU. However it plays well on my Pioneer HU in my i10. I am struggling to figure out where the issue is and what could be a potential fix. would look forward to valuable feedback from our ICE fraternity.
sparsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:42   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Vikram for the tip. I did try this after returning from work. Took a 16GB HP drive that was not working in the car. Did a full format (not a quick-format) with 32kb cluster size. Copied 6GB of music on it and tried again in the XUV. It recognized the drive really fast and started playing the first song from first directory.

Again, I do believe that the solution that you are suggesting works. The partial problem that still exists can be attributed to XUV's infotainment system which has a track record of buggy software.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Seems, you have to wait for some time to the system to read the full directories from the USB drive.
Normally it happens in my linea too if I plan to select a folders immediately after i clip the Pen drive in the USB slot. If I give some time to read and I can find the entire folders/directories listed.
Update: Based on aks_karthik's suggestion, allowed the USB drive to remain in the slot while the Infortainment system was on. Nothing happened for about 45 minutes. But later that day, while driving to work, I noticed that all 8 directories were listed.

So I do believe vikram_d's 32k cluster size solution works, if you take ask_karthik's waiting tip into account.

OFF TOPIC: The XUV's infortainment system was able to handle the 8 main directories, ~100 odd subdirectories and 1000+ songs after waiting for a good amount of time. Unfortunately it was not able to handle it for long. After playing a few songs and switching between directories, the infortainment system got overwhelmed and the USB hanged.

Last edited by SDP : 27th December 2012 at 11:03.
Old 27th December 2012, 13:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... After playing a few songs and switching between directories, the infortainment system got overwhelmed and the USB hanged.
1. What was the display showing? Or was the UI (display and buttons) not functioning at all when this happened?

2. What did you do to recover from it?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 13:58   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. What was the display showing? Or was the UI (display and buttons) not functioning at all when this happened?

2. What did you do to recover from it?
The display was showing the normal music screen, but there was no current song name shown. The next & previous song functionality as well as the list functionality was not working either from touch-screen or from the dedicted buttons.

Other funtions of the infortainment system were working. So I could switch to FM/CD/Navigation/Info screens without any issues.

I unplugged the pen drive to come out of this state. It did say "media disconnected" when I pulled the pen drive out.

I had faced this earlier and had reported it to Mahindra service center once. They told me that its a problem with a virus in my device and somehow I let it go at that point of time. Now with more concrete information about the reasons, I won't let the service center guys get away with it.
Old 27th December 2012, 14:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Blue and Me takes it own sweet time to detect a new pen drive.
And if you make any changes,like add a new song to a folder,then it just simply refuses to detect the new song.I just bought a HP 16GB Pen drive,and it works normally.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Blue and Me takes it own sweet time to detect a new pen drive.
And if you make any changes,like add a new song to a folder,then it just simply refuses to detect the new song.I just bought a HP 16GB Pen drive,and it works normally.
Not much time to detect. Just play the USB without interference for some 2-3 minutes and you will be able find all folders.
I have been using 16GB Transcend Pen Drive since last 2 years and i haven't faced any issue with the Pen Drive so far.
Adding a new folder or files can be deducted if you process the files in the USB with BluMeUSB3 - http://www.spoelstrait.nl/BluMeUSB/ - Microsoft Issue
It's already been discussed in Linea Thread.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote