Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 14:35   #1081
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sunnyboi, where did you get the tar sheets ? I am looking for some decent ones like whta you got here.

What's the thickness of this tar sheet ?
I bought it from a shop on SP Road, forgot the name. This was the packing label on the sheets.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img20150516wa0013.jpg

Its thin; same thickness as other tar sheets available in the market. Plus this didn't smell as well, it did smell a bit for first two days but then it doesn't reappear even if I park the car in the hot sun for a whole day.


Hope this helps!
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 14:44   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,144
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Thanks, Sunny.

Searchign for stuff in SP road or JC road bylanes is like searching for a needle in a haystack. An approximate location of the shop, please. May be google maps ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 14:52   #1083
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Today must be our lucky day found his visiting card in a stackpile hehe.

Give a call on his mobile once you're nearby, he will guide you to his shop

Name:  IMG_20151106_144818001.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  179.7 KB
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 17:35   #1084
BHPian
 
Red Panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 42
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Has anyone tried removing them after installing for any reason what it may be? Is it easily removable or it take the same time that is required for installation?
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 22:31   #1085
Senior - BHPian
 
schakravarthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA 09 / KA 02
Posts: 1,224
Thanked: 3,444 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
Has anyone tried removing them after installing for any reason what it may be? Is it easily removable or it take the same time that is required for installation?
I can't say about the damping mats, but the tar sheets can be pulled out. Having had to remove them from my own and from a friend's car, I talk from personal experience. It's a bit of a struggle, but they do come out.
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 22:44   #1086
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 572
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

If fixed properly, tar felts wont comeout because of the melted tar.

Gr8 SunnyBoi, happy to see people venture into DIY. BTW, How much does the Al backing felt cost? Need some more for roof and back doors.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 23:11   #1087
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 916
Thanked: 295 Times
Question Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I have damped my car similar to what ::CMS:: has done.
Hi SunnyBoi, many thanks for the pictures.
Could you let us know which car it was that was damped ?
And also, how many sq. feet of material did you have to get ?
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 23:31   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,144
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Why would you want to remove them ?

Both will require some effort to remove. Just that, the damping sheets are heavier than tar sheets.

I think - When he doors heat up due to being parked in the sun, the sheets will stick a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
And also, how many sq. feet of material did you have to get ?
Sunny has damped the doors. If you are going to do something like that, then you can measure the size of your doors, and get about 1.75 times that (in Sq ft). This is if you want to use a single layer.
But if you want to do a double layer to compensate for the lesser weight when compared to damping sheets, then you would need more.

These sheets are not expensive. Could be about 100 Rs per Sq meter retail.

One way to better stick it is - after you place the sheet against the metal, heat the sheet with hot air (you can use a hair dryer). Remember to clean the metal sheet before you stick this sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Today must be our lucky day found his visiting card in a stackpile hehe.
Thanks !

one more question- how heavy is this sheet ? (rough)

Last edited by condor : 6th November 2015 at 23:45.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 23:38   #1089
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Gr8 SunnyBoi, happy to see people venture into DIY. BTW, How much does the Al backing felt cost? Need some more for roof and back doors.
Thanks, its not Al backed but its just plastic that looks like Al foil

I had damped my previous car about 2.5 years ago in the same way. Front doors were damped using DampMat by a professional audio installer. Rear doors, hatch, boot and rear floor were all DIY using tar felt

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_20130727_203404001.jpg

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_20140215_112007001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi SunnyBoi, many thanks for the pictures.
Could you let us know which car it was that was damped ?
And also, how many sq. feet of material did you have to get ?
Hi, both the cars were Palios. I did the front doors using 3-4 layers, rear doors using 2-3 layers, boot and rear floor were again 2-3 layers. All this took me about half a roll, around 10sq meters. With a roll being about 1700rs, thats ~850rs per car. I bought a whole roll, half of which schakravarthy used to damp his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
one more question- how heavy is this sheet ? (rough)
All I can say is that the 20meter roll was very heavy and tough to lug around which is a good thing because more weight = more dampening I guess.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 6th November 2015 at 23:41.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 04:01   #1090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 81
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

My 2014 Alto K10 has no cladding on the wheel arches. On the highway, at high speeds, a lot of road noise is there, which becomes a bother even with the windows rolled up. By road noise I mean the noise from the tyres. From what I have gathered from this thread, when it comes to road noise, dampening the wheel arches, esp the rear ones, is most important, and firewall and door dampening come later. During the purchase, the dealer did a anti-rust coating of the underbody. Yet the road noise is significant.

Should I apply more rubberized coating to the wheel wells to reduce the tyre noise?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 14:28   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
My 2014 Alto K10 has no cladding on the wheel arches. On the highway, at high speeds, a lot of road noise is there, which becomes a bother even with the windows rolled up. By road noise I mean the noise from the tyres. From what I have gathered from this thread, when it comes to road noise, dampening the wheel arches, esp the rear ones, is most important, and firewall and door dampening come later. During the purchase, the dealer did a anti-rust coating of the underbody. Yet the road noise is significant.

Should I apply more rubberized coating to the wheel wells to reduce the tyre noise?
The (induced) road noise in the cabin will not significantly reduce if one damps the wheel arches. That's because the noise is transmitted from the suspension to the outer metal of the doors via the contact points of the door (hinges, locks etc.).

It is enough that you get the door outer metal layer damped with extra damping (they already have some, but that is proportional to the cost of the car!). The noise will not come down to 0, but at least it will reduce enough to have decent conversation inside the car with windows closed. You will also hear more of the lower end of the music (the road noise is in the same part of the audio spectrum) - even with OE speakers.
DerAlte is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 23:48   #1092
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 81
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The (induced) road noise in the cabin will not significantly reduce if one damps the wheel arches. That's because the noise is transmitted from the suspension to the outer metal of the doors via the contact points of the door (hinges, locks etc.).
Thanks for the tip. What is your take on firewall damping for the Alto K10. Is dismantling the dashboard a good idea? If the dash starts rattling later, the whole purpose will be defeated.

I am also interested in damping the roof because during rains, the pitter-patter of the raindrops create a ruckus! For the roof, I can use cheaper damping material I guess.

What can be an estimated cost to damp the doors, the bootlid, roof (with cheaper material), bonnet + firewall (optional if budget permits).

Main problem at hand is excessive noise from the tyres at high speeds. Engine noise is not much of a problem with windows turned up, almost not there at city speeds and acceptable on the highway.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th November 2015 at 02:10. Reason: Post edited on request.
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 14:49   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
... What is your take on firewall damping for the Alto K10. Is dismantling the dashboard a good idea? If the dash starts rattling later, the whole purpose will be defeated. ...
IMHO the cost / benefit ratio would be rather poor. Dismantling the dash is not trivial, and will take a lot of time and money. Firewall damping is worth in cars with diesel engines, not for petrol engines. Simple felt carpet works when placed on areas that are easily accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
... I am also interested in damping the roof because during rains, the pitter-patter of the raindrops create a ruckus! For the roof, I can use cheaper damping material I guess. ...
Damping the ceiling would require you to strip the ceiling liner first. Not sure if Wuerth spray would be cheaper, but that would be the most appropriate. Tar sheet / felt is an alternative, but would cause a lingering smell in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
... What can be an estimated cost to damp the doors, the bootlid, roof (with cheaper material), bonnet + firewall (optional if budget permits). ...
More than 20K + labor. Doors only would be ~5K. For bootlid, use tightly rolled up closed-cell foam sheets and virgin cotton waste, stuffed into the between the outer sheet and inner frame.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2015, 15:40   #1094
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 81
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IMHO the cost / benefit ratio would be rather poor. Dismantling the dash is not trivial, and will take a lot of time and money. Firewall damping is worth in cars with diesel engines, not for petrol engines. Simple felt carpet works when placed on areas that are easily accessible.

Damping the ceiling would require you to strip the ceiling liner first. Not sure if Wuerth spray would be cheaper, but that would be the most appropriate. Tar sheet / felt is an alternative, but would cause a lingering smell in summer.

More than 20K + labor. Doors only would be ~5K. For bootlid, use tightly rolled up closed-cell foam sheets and virgin cotton waste, stuffed into the between the outer sheet and inner frame.
Great tip. Firewall plan cancelled. That's settled. I am weary of taking apart the ceiling, and still deliberating. Why do you suggest using extra material for the bootlid in particular?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 15:16   #1095
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
... Why do you suggest using extra material for the bootlid in particular?
Instead, not extra. Boot lid doesn't radiate much induced road noise, but contributes to rattles from loose cables / wires and number plate rattling. One doesn't need damping sheets here - just stuffed cotton waste / closed-cell foam in enough.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative material for damping amit_sound In-Car Entertainment 183 30th April 2016 12:36
Sound Proofing material for car ezee Modifications & Accessories 20 13th January 2010 16:17
How effective is sound deadening material in tackling rattling ? swathyd In-Car Entertainment 19 15th August 2008 20:15
sound proofing material query makanaka In-Car Entertainment 3 11th August 2008 11:53
Sound/Rattle Deadening/Damping for front doors of Palio hydrashok Modifications & Accessories 6 27th August 2006 00:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks