Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd December 2008, 21:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Run each amplifier seperately and check(disconnec power,ground and rca at amp). if whine exist in both then its a common cable fault; mostly the grounding wire.in such case if nothing works run a negative wire from battery to amplifier.
If whine is only with one amplifier then its rca cable need change in all probability; else check its grounding. also have a check if the amplifier body needs grounding or not. if it dosent work replace the amplifier.
didnt you use something from boss cables?
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 09:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Run each amplifier seperately and check(disconnec power,ground and rca at amp). if whine exist in both then its a common cable fault; mostly the grounding wire.in such case if nothing works run a negative wire from battery to amplifier.
If whine is only with one amplifier then its rca cable need change in all probability; else check its grounding. also have a check if the amplifier body needs grounding or not. if it dosent work replace the amplifier.
didnt you use something from boss cables?
I have only one amp, a GTA5-604 which powers the front and rear speakers. I don't have a sub.
So, I Should check if I can hear the whine by-
Disconnecting the RCA cables from HU:
If I hear the noise then it means that my speaker cables are causing it else the RCA cables are causing it, right?
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 11:18   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
If I hear the noise then it means that my speaker cables are causing it else the RCA cables are causing it, right?
replace the current RCA with a new set you can run them temporarily from outside the car and check.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 11:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I have only one amp, a GTA5-604 which powers the front and rear speakers. I don't have a sub.
I was talking about frank's setup.
It is low power signal cables which pick up the alternator noise. speaker cables will not normally cause since they are having much higher power signal.

Disconnect at head unit to confirm RCA is bad, as it remains connected to amp and due induction is picking noise.
Disconnect at amps to isolate multi amps setup.

If the shielding is bad with RCA it will pickup noise.
Even if it is good RCA it will pickup noise if they are placed close to power supply cables.
Long RCA if coiled up in wrong places can also cause it.
One more option is to place the amplifier as close to head unit as possible, like under seat and run a short RCA through mid cabin to the amp. it has its own disadvantages but in case like yours it could be better option.
You can also ground the RCA outer connection at one side only (near amp)to try if it clears.
Take the amplifier of car and keep it on a insulated platform and also try before changing amplifier and trying.
I had struggled with two 60.4 a whole day for the same problem in my friends car.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 09:12   #35
BHPian

Hey frank, did you find out what your problem was. Yesterday the setup from my car was shifted to a friends car, the setup is quite simailar to what it was in mine. But there is this whining nose from the rear speakers, it increases when the the engine is revved.

The installer said he has used joints in the remote wire running from the HU to AMP, could this be a reason?
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 09:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Hey frank, did you find out what your problem was.
Frank's problem was originally 3 years ago. Since then he has got a stonking new system and (I'm assuming) no whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
The installer said he has used joints in the remote wire running from the HU to AMP, could this be a reason?
The remote wire is merely a 12V trigger to the amplifier. A joint there is not recommended, but will not cause audio whine.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 09:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Frank's problem was originally 3 years ago. Since then he has got a stonking new system and (I'm assuming) no whine.
My bad,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The remote wire is merely a 12V trigger to the amplifier. A joint there is not recommended, but will not cause audio whine.
Thanks, anyways we will get the remote wire replaced and go through all the other checks mentioned here!

One small query, it's a 4 year old NHC very well maintained, could something be wrong with the car's electricals? cause he told me it was there in his previous setup as well.
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote