Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th May 2006, 15:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Whining sound from speakers at low volumes...

my wiring is perfect but everytime i lower the volume of the music system to pick up a call or something the system lets out a continuous whine from the front and back speakers and this keeps fluctuating as i raise or lower the throttle.....what could be the reason.....im running an amp(my configs my signature)
plz help
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 16:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

this in alternator whine. it is present at lunder volumes but you cant hear it as the music obliterates it. talk to your installer as there are a dozen reasons for it. usually it is the RCA cables that run from your HU to your amps but i see you got Monsters.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 16:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Long time back I had this whining sound in my zen whever i switched on the AC blower. The RCA cable was the culprit.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 16:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I might be the problem in the head unit or amp also . will post u the details about how to get rid of this problem as i have a article in a mag at my place.will post it tomm.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 16:27   #5
BHPian

Default same problem..pls help

i have the same prob...i have a jvc 4 ch amp...i was using the same amp in my scorpio....but i removed it when i sold it....i kept it in my house for a month before installing it in my corolla....since the day i put it i've been hearing this whining sound...the guy i fit it from(bass.com) versova told me that moisture has gone in the amp and nuthin can be done...is this true? any suggestions
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 16:53   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Its usually the "alternator whine" sources are the cables in most of the applications. Some say the audio and power cables running from the HU to AMP and BATT to amp should be routed from different sides of the body in order to reduced the interference.

I used to get this frm my alpine amp but now that i've shifted to jvc its all fine.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 17:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

like I said it could be the hu and amp and the rca also . Or simpliy the wiring method. The simplest way is try changing the rca and if u get any improvement in sound.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 17:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diven_b
i have the same prob...i have a jvc 4 ch amp...i was using the same amp in my scorpio....but i removed it when i sold it....i kept it in my house for a month before installing it in my corolla....since the day i put it i've been hearing this whining sound...the guy i fit it from(bass.com) versova told me that moisture has gone in the amp and nuthin can be done...is this true? any suggestions
There are various causes for a whining sound from the speakers. One, like Navin pointed out, is alternator whine. In addition, it could be a ground loop, or unshielded RCAs picking some noise, or an open RCA shield. Using good quality equipment and installing it properly would narrow down the cause to a ground loop, in which case it's best to ground all powered devices together as much as possible (with the exception of the head unit, of course).

Moisture does not cause whining, and moisture (if any) doesn't deserve to be in your amp. Moisture can devastate the amplifier by causing short circuits.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 16th May 2006 at 17:40.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 17:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Also, I'd be curious to know which Monster cables are you using? And how much did you pay for it? Do you have a bill and warranty for the Monster product in concern? There's loads of duplicate Monster amp wiring kits in the market and I hope you haven't been saddled with one.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 20:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

yup... i had the same problem... changed the RCA.. problem solved!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 11:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

the monster cable in my car cost somewhere around 3000......the guy is very genuine and he's done hundreds of installs.....i noticed that this sound was there in my zen.....and when the system was transferred to my esteem it was still there.....so a faulty installation is eliminated........my dad says there is something called as a suppressor kit or something available that must be connected between the amp and the battery that might stop the sound....
what is a suppressor kit?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
the monster cable in my car cost somewhere around 3000......the guy is very genuine and he's done hundreds of installs.....i noticed that this sound was there in my zen.....and when the system was transferred to my esteem it was still there.....so a faulty installation is eliminated........my dad says there is something called as a suppressor kit or something available that must be connected between the amp and the battery that might stop the sound....
what is a suppressor kit?
these r called noise filters and ur dad must be talking about one of these........

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ul4dHkQ...g=181150&avf=N
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 12:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
these r called noise filters and ur dad must be talking about one of these........

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ul4dHkQ...g=181150&avf=N
Guru warning! Geez doc I think you gotta drop that medico stuff and do installs. I am sure you'd do a great job.

these filters were needed in older cars I rarely see them being used today but nonetheless try one. it wont hurt but dont pay for it unless it works.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 13:04   #14
abu

this prob may be caused because of grouding.otherwise check whether rca&p.wire put together.if yes seperate all the wires.
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 13:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Geez doc I think you gotta drop that medico stuff and do installs. I am sure you'd do a great job.
I will be the happiest... Saves mua poor behind from that GHODA CHAAP injekshun that Sam has willed Doc gives me!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote