Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 12:46   #1531
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 131
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Adding a picture of my installation. Its partially covered with the mirror, I prefer bit more higher but the rain sensor blackened edge comes into the top corner of the video frame. Entire 10 feet cable was concealed without any tools (ref.previous post with green marking). I must also add, this 10 feet is a perfect length for the purpose, including a compact SUV type area !
Attachment 1641318
I see that you have mounted your dashcam on that Frit Band (Black Band). From what i understand, generally the suction cup does not hold tightly when put on that band. So, just wanted to know whether it is same for you? If so, how are you managing it?
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 13:21   #1532
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I see that you have mounted your dashcam on that Frit Band (Black Band). From what i understand, generally the suction cup does not hold tightly when put on that band. So, just wanted to know whether it is same for you? If so, how are you managing it?
My assumptions below:
1. May be the mount is of good quality, it was from Amazon an year back.
2. Feather light SJCam4000.
3. Power cable is supporting the weight partially from the top.
If required, t can be made lighter by removing the battery too as its always powered by 12V socket. As of now, its holding well, never had to stick it a second time. But I think anything heavier would drop off in few hours.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 13:28   #1533
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 131
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My assumptions below:
1. May be the mount is of good quality, it was from Amazon an year back.
2. Feather light SJCam4000.
3. Power cable is supporting the weight partially from the top.
If required, t can be made lighter by removing the battery too as its always powered by 12V socket. As of now, its holding well, never had to stick it a second time. But I think anything heavier would drop off in few hours.
Thanks for the clarification. It was for my friend, so i will convey this information to him.
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 13:55   #1534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 513
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
This is the link that Abhi and I used.


Main reason : At least 20$ lesser in price
Link comparing both: https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/viofo-a119-review

Other reasons that I told myself :-)
* A119 is probably tested well compared to newer A119S
* A119 has wider view angle
* Has higher resolution video compared to just 1080p of A119S
* Sideways adjustment of camera
What brand of memory cards do these sellers use? i can get a $15 discount if my order crosses a certain value, and that is possible only if I add a memory card. Also, did the installation interfer with the RIFD sticker that Mahindra sticks on the windshield?
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 14:05   #1535
BHPian
 
simonkayar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
What brand of memory cards do these sellers use? i can get a $15 discount if my order crosses a certain value, and that is possible only if I add a memory card. Also, did the installation interfer with the RIFD sticker that Mahindra sticks on the windshield?
No idea, I did not get the SD card bundle. I got a transcend 633X 64GB separately. It did not interfere with the sticker but I had to move it slightly towards the driver side. The install was fairly simple.
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 14:15   #1536
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 513
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
No idea, I did not get the SD card bundle. I got a transcend 633X 64GB separately. It did not interfere with the sticker but I had to move it slightly towards the driver side. The install was fairly simple.
I am at $106 with GPS and CPL. Unsure of the CPL and its effectiveness as the CPL in my mini-0826 was rendered useless pretty fast- it kinda unscrewed while adjusting the position and the glass of the CPL fell off and rolled of somewhere.

Now, $109 of shopping allows me to get a $15 store discount. So I could order a memory card- only 16 or 32 gb option (and no details on name, class etc.) or a hardwire kit to make up for the pending $2. Thinking of the hardwire kit, as that will free up my cigarette lighter point, plus the interiors will look more neater.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 15:48   #1537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have ordered the below item from Aliexpress yesterday (LeadEdge H3 Dashcam)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...809626345.html

Though the item was not having enough reviews, I read reviews of their previous model 'LeadEdge H2' which is having fairly good rating.

This model meets my requirement of 'No GPS', 'No Battery' and ofcourse economical. It also has Wifi so that you can download videos directly.

Those who can pay a little more for the Dash Cam with similar features and better quality may look at the below product 'DDPAI Mini 2' (also without GPS & Battery (Capacitor Based))
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...792094635.html
batman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 08:50   #1538
BHPian
 
simonkayar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
CPL fell off and rolled of somewhere.
Thinking of the hardwire kit, as that will free up my cigarette lighter point, plus the interiors will look more neater.
The CPL of Viofo attaches pretty strongly. No issues. Also the hardwire kit is definitely a better option than memory card. Get a 64 GB memory card from elsewhere.
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:15   #1539
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 438 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
The CPL of Viofo attaches pretty strongly. No issues. Also the hardwire kit is definitely a better option than memory card. Get a 64 GB memory card from elsewhere.
My CPL filter too tends to fall off on bumps and it is very irritating. Have used an insulation tape as a workaround!
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 18:15   #1540
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I purchased a Blaupunkt BP 2.0 car dashcam in August 2015. The dashcam stopped working today . It didn't turn itself on when I connected it to the car charging point . I got the attached messages when I connected it to my laptop . Anyone faced this problem ? Has the device short-circuited itself ? I've already tried the reset button on the device - anything else that I should try ?

What's the warranty period on the product ? I don't see any warranty related information in the box or the manual . I've sent a mail to their customer support.

Name:  blaupunkt.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  28.7 KB

When I click on the message this is what I get :

Name:  bp2.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  56.9 KB

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th June 2017 at 18:27.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 15:38   #1541
BHPian
 
jaunthead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
He dropped a @119s with GPS and CPL filter at my hotel! Total damage 1070 hkd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Ordered VIOFO A119S (with GPS and CPL) through AliExpress today.
Ordered one myself today. Hope to do a DIY fix.
jaunthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 18:14   #1542
BHPian
 
BlueEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: B'lore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have newly installed Mobius dash cam with capacitor in my car which is hard wired to power ON only upon ignition. Video recording is set to 1080p 60fps with 32gb SD card. This can record max of 4hrs of video. Now my question is, what is the best practice? do you guys set it to loop recording? If yes, you would obviously loose video clips on long drives. I am set to a long picturesque monsoon highway drive this weekend (600km one way) 9-10hrs approximately. I want to retain all clips, few things which I can think of to retain all video:
  • Increase SD card to 64gb(I need to still check if my dashcam supports it)
  • Change SD card on the go(will have to keep track of how many hours you are driving)
  • Reduce 60fps to 30fps and change 720p from 1080p to accommodate larger files and take periodic backup

Would love to know fellow members opinion on these points.

Also while at it would like to know what is the preferred video settings for dashcams. I am listing few what I have been using from last 1 month or so. These options would obviously differ from cam to cam, please feel free to add/edit while replying:
  • Frame Rate: 60fps
  • Loop recording: Occ
  • File Type: MP4
  • FOV: Wide
  • Video Resolution: 1080p
  • Time Laps: Off

PS: Sorry if this has been discussed earlier.
BlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 19:35   #1543
BHPian
 
Prodigy07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 390
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hi - Can someone suggest a decent Dash Cam in the price range 4-5K?

I'm not a DIY guy. So, I don't mind the cables hanging around the dashboard
Prodigy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 22:31   #1544
BHPian
 
mustang_shelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 471 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
  • Increase SD card to 64gb(I need to still check if my dashcam supports it)
  • Change SD card on the go(will have to keep track of how many hours you are driving)
  • Reduce 60fps to 30fps and change 720p from 1080p to accommodate larger files and take periodic backup
I think you could easily do option 2 and 3. For #2, check if your dashcam displays number of minutes of recording capacity left. If it does, you simply have to check the display periodically and change the card at the right time. It might also emit a beep when the card is full (try it out) and at that time you simply stop and change the card.
Also, 30fps should be more than enough for all practical purposes. At that frame rate, video is already very smooth. 60 fps might be useful if you are taking extreme action videos and want to extract frames from the video as stills, or you want to watch videos in slow motion. There might be other uses for 60fps, but I am not aware of any.
I would keep the 1080p resolution though.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 00:50   #1545
BHPian
 
harsh79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DL 3C
Posts: 306
Thanked: 546 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I have newly installed Mobius dash cam with capacitor in my car which is hard wired to power ON only upon ignition. Video recording is set to 1080p 60fps with 32gb SD card. This can record max of 4hrs of video. Now my question is, what is the best practice? do you guys set it to loop recording? If yes, you would obviously loose video clips on long drives. I am set to a long picturesque monsoon highway drive this weekend (600km one way) 9-10hrs approximately. I want to retain all clips, few things which I can think of to retain all video:
  • Increase SD card to 64gb(I need to still check if my dashcam supports it)
  • Change SD card on the go(will have to keep track of how many hours you are driving)
  • Reduce 60fps to 30fps and change 720p from 1080p to accommodate larger files and take periodic backup
Loop-recording should ideally be kept ON if the Mobius is being utilised as a dash cam.

Leave it at 1080p and get a higher capacity card. I'm using a 64GB, 128GB also works. Do format the card using mSetup and it should be good to go.

60 FPS is not available for 1080p, only for 720p and below.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use your Camcorder/Digicam as a Dashcam for Rs.100 mukeshgoel Modifications & Accessories 20 15th September 2015 14:24
The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder) rrangan Gadgets, Computers & Software 23 4th March 2015 12:03
Spy video camera with recorder for car gaddiwale Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 19th July 2014 04:22
Portable Audio Recorder Reqd condor Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 2nd January 2008 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks