Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd June 2017, 19:52   #1561
BHPian

Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
It could be a case of wrong baggage. Just check in your order detail whether the address / Pincode is full and correct. Incidentally I have 2 shipments in transit from Aliexpress thru' Singapore post. One of their port of arrival is Chennai and for the other item, it is yet to be known.

I checked your item status in 'Singpost' website and it says 'Released from Custom' on 19th; So I guess, it should not be a cause for worry, although we can't do anything about the delay in receipt.
Item is routed to Chennai now (Mumbai - BLR - Mumbai - CHN). Scope for optimization for India Post
Attached Images

r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:38   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Ordered Viofo A119 and awaiting delivery. I have a quick question, how easy and viable is it to frequently remove the device from the mount (regular one and GPS mount as well)?

Plan is to transfer the dashcam between 2 of my cars. One car will have GPS mount + hard wiring and the other one with regular mount + regular charger.

Does it sound practical?
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:09   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Ordered Viofo A119 and awaiting delivery. I have a quick question, how easy and viable is it to frequently remove the device from the mount (regular one and GPS mount as well)?

Plan is to transfer the dashcam between 2 of my cars. One car will have GPS mount + hard wiring and the other one with regular mount + regular charger.

Does it sound practical?
It does, but repeatedly removing and reinstalling the camera may loosen the mounts and damage the contacts in the pin. Especially since the A119 has a few sliding contacts to connect the GPS(I Suppose) and this might get worn out over a period of time. However, if you dont switch frequently, then it should be ok.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:19   #1564
BHPian

Got my viofo a119s delivered through AliExpress in 2 weeks. Have fixed the setup and using a normal charger socket as of now. Used the supplied long cable to connect the charger. The length was just apt to run it through the windscreen, around the dash, under the steering well and to the center console.
Ordered the samsung evo + 64 gb microsd cards to go with it. Set up for loop recording of 10 min currently.
Quick questions: any specific settings needed to get the best out of the recordings. Also does loop mode also mean it will rewrite it if full automatically. Apologies for that silly question.
Wanted to hardwire it and got all the stuff but realized my Ecosport has a strange place for fuse box, behind the glove box and needs dismantling of the glove box for access. So that DIY for future state only.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:22   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Got my viofo a119s delivered through AliExpress in 2 weeks. Have fixed the setup and using a normal charger socket as of now. Used the supplied long cable to connect the charger. The length was just apt to run it through the windscreen, around the dash, under the steering well and to the center console.
Ordered the samsung evo + 64 gb microsd cards to go with it. Set up for loop recording of 10 min currently.
Quick questions: any specific settings needed to get the best out of the recordings. Also does loop mode also mean it will rewrite it if full automatically. Apologies for that silly question.
Wanted to hardwire it and got all the stuff but realized my Ecosport has a strange place for fuse box, behind the glove box and needs dismantling of the glove box for access. So that DIY for future state only.
Yes, in loop mode, it rewrites older data. In ecosport, there's a port in front which outputs power even with the ignition off and the car locked. You can use that for parking mode recording. Why hardwire?
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:15   #1566
BHPian

Received my Yi dashcam today. In box contents:
1. Yi dash Cam.
2. Adhesive type (3M tape) car windshield mount.
3. Car charger.
4. Long USB cable.
Price: About ₹ 3000
Bought from Bangkok, came with 6 month warranty.

It was in chinese so changed the firmware to english, that was easy. But Chinese language is not a problem because Yi dash cam app is in english and you can change the camera settings from the app. It only works with a class 10 micro sd card. Battery backup is very very low, not even a minute, that means it needs a constant power supply which limits its use as an action cam, although a power bank can come to the rescue if needed. It has small battery that means less chances of exploding in the car?
Video looks crisp and nice. ADAS does not work with 60FPS and its not too useful anyways.
These are first impressions, will write more about it soon including posting day and night time videos.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20170623_174955.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20170623_175224.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 23rd June 2017 at 18:18.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 19:31   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
However, if you dont switch frequently, then it should be ok.
Frequency is hardly a couple of times every month (when ever I visit my hometown)
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 17:52   #1568
BHPian

I have finalized on the Viofo A119s and will be placing the order by this weekend.

I have a few questions.

If I am not mistaken, the A119s is a capacitor based unit, so it won't have any heating issues, right?

My apartment doesn't have a covered car park, but I use a Polco DuPont Tyvek heat resistant car cover. The cabin does get slightly hot, but it isn't unbearable. Is it advisable to leave the camera in the car when parked or should I remove it when parked?

And finally, any precautions to be taken while ordering from AliExpress? And while paying how is the currency converted?

Thanks in advance!
esoticoreventon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 20:24   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I have finalized on the Viofo A119s and will be placing the order by this weekend.

I have a few questions.

If I am not mistaken, the A119s is a capacitor based unit, so it won't have any heating issues, right?

My apartment doesn't have a covered car park, but I use a Polco DuPont Tyvek heat resistant car cover. The cabin does get slightly hot, but it isn't unbearable. Is it advisable to leave the camera in the car when parked or should I remove it when parked?

And finally, any precautions to be taken while ordering from AliExpress? And while paying how is the currency converted?

Thanks in advance!
My car used to stand in direct sunlight in noon during a few trips with my dashcam on. Did not experience any issues. The device does get heated up but i guess its well within the tolerance level.
So no need to go into the trouble of removing it always.

Regarding orders on AliExpress, just make sure the supplier is well rated.

Also, your account gets deducted with the respective rupee value for that day. However, your bank shows the debit in terms of dollars itself.
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 23:58   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I

I suggest you avoid removing the cam on a regular basis if you can leave it on. I had been sliding mine out of its mount every day for the past year or so, to avoid attracting attention from itchy fingers while it was parked in my office parking lot, or anywhere else, for that matter. So as a result the sliding slot in the cam or its matching stub on the mount has become worn and the cam vibrates like mad over the slightest rough road. Luckily the cam had come with a suction mount, which I had been using so far and a stick-on mount as well. I've now started using the stick-on mount and don't remove the cam at all. It's much less obtrusive than the larger suction mount and doesn't attract attention when parked. And the video recordings remain free of jerks too.
FarPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 10:09   #1571

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
I had ordered the same for the exact price as shown above, a couple of weeks back from Ali express which included CPS filter and 32GB Kingston Memory card.
It got delivered yesterday and there was no customs charged and infact tracking showed it was with customs for only a single day. Previously I had ordered the same without card or filter with Amazon India and the cheapest deal was around 11K. I cancelled it after a Week and luckily the amount was credited to my account within a week.

I got the dash cam connected to cigarette lighter with wire concealed all along its length.

Tried to view the sample video files, but alas the files can't be read by Mac
Can you provide the link in Aliexpress. I am planning to get A119 with CPL+GPS. Cost comes to around 7500. But i am worried about customs. I heard that items below Rs 2000 will not attract customs duty. If i am required to pay where should i pay it and How much.

3 Years back when i was in chennai i ordered Minix Neo Stick worth about 4500.Customs duty of 2200 was levied.

I am having an another thought. Since it is coming from China, Custom duty is levied, what if i order from USA.
escaflowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 10:59   #1572

If any one has successfully ordered A119/A118C2 from aliexpress or any site without paying customs duty, please post the link. I feel customs duty has to do with the way seller packs and labels the item
Old 29th June 2017, 11:05   #1573

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I have ordered the below item from Aliexpress yesterday (LeadEdge H3 Dashcam)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...809626345.html

Though the item was not having enough reviews, I read reviews of their previous model 'LeadEdge H2' which is having fairly good rating.

This model meets my requirement of 'No GPS', 'No Battery' and ofcourse economical. It also has Wifi so that you can download videos directly.

Those who can pay a little more for the Dash Cam with similar features and better quality may look at the below product 'DDPAI Mini 2' (also without GPS & Battery (Capacitor Based))
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...792094635.html
Have you received the product.? Could you please post a review of it.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:38   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflowne View Post
If any one has successfully ordered A119/A118C2 from aliexpress or any site without paying customs duty, please post the link. I feel customs duty has to do with the way seller packs and labels the item
From my experience with international shipments, the customs duty levied is never consistent. It is rather running on an algorithm that sits inside the head of the customs officer. I am not sure how the system works, but at my end, I can never guesstimate what I will have to pay as customs.
  • Ordered fog lamps from Aliexpress - Cost 4k or so INR - HK post - Customs levied = 300
  • Second time same order - HK Post - No customs duty
  • Ordered A118 from gearbest - Costed around 4k - DHL shipping - Customs levied 300 + DHL Processing fees 1200
  • Numerous items from Gearbest valued between 200 - 6k Rupees - Shipped via Gati - No customs for any product. Even a 6k INR worth Electronic card
  • Ordered Action camera worth 6k from GB - Sweden post - No customs levied
  • Ordered detailing products from Amazon - Customs charged from amazon and not sure if they paid the officials or not- no receipt. This was for products as cheap as 600 INR as well as 5k INR.
Hence, it is unpredictable from my side. I guess it is the courier companies and customs officials who interact while the clearance is being done who get to decide whether the product will require duty to be paid or not, especially for such items which are in single quantity and are for personal use. Since the bulk shipments and official use items are a majority, I think the smaller parcels just get passed on.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 13:53   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflowne View Post
Have you received the product.? Could you please post a review of it.
Not yet; Seeing the message "Retention reason : Retained by customs for unspecified reason" for the last 5 days, when tracked for the status of the item. Do not know when they will release it!
batman is offline   Reply With Quote