Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th August 2015, 11:52   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I am planning to get a USB extension hub and then wire the dash cam to it. That way, I can run the GPS and the dash cam and charge about two phones with a 4 port USB hub. On the hunt for a good 4 port USB hub at the moment.

I do have a belkin inverter that also uses the cigarette lighter attachment, this will take a hit and thinking of how to work around that, this is where the idea of a second cigarette socket helps.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 13:17   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hello Experts,

A query to all Blaupunkt 2 buyers and users:
1) Whats the battery capacity of the unit, how much does it last on one charge? Does it need to be continuously charged when in operation?
2) How much recording time can be achieved with a 32 GB SD card?
3) How stable or strong is the mounting arrangement?

1 - Lasted for 1hrs and 15 mins on a full charge.

2 - I got around 5hrs in 720p with audio.

3 - Very strong suction mount on the windshield. Used extensively on a recent long drive.
sdp1975 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 14:47   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Ordered for BP 2.0 on snap deal. Thanks for reviews and videos posted here.

The price is now 2090.

I can see that it is supporting 64 GB sd card though it says 32 GB on the spec. Now thinking whether to buy a 64 GB card or a 32 GB card.
I had the same query when I bought mine. A class 10 micro sd of 64GB capacity costs about Rs.1900/-. This is about Rs.100 less than the dash cam itself. To me it seemed that the main unit costs the same as the add on. Hence discarded the plan for 64 and went for 32GB costing some 800Rs. (Sandisk ultra class 10)

The video will record in loops anyway. And with 480 resolution, you can get close to 6 hours recording.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 15:04   #259
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a 32GB ( class 10 ) Strontium card for 630/- on Amazon - cost is 625/- now. This is the cheapest 32GB card I found. This works well with the Blaupunkt dashcam.

http://www.amazon.in/Strontium-32GB-...ords=strontium

Last edited by sdp1975 : 12th August 2015 at 15:07.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 15:07   #260
Senior - BHPian

Is there an option on the Blaupunkt 2.0 to make the recording loop and record over once the SD card is full?

I have inserted a 16gb SD card which fills up in around 60-75 mins of recording on 720p. Once it is full, it stops recording. However, I feel there is an option to start recording again over the previous records.

Is that correct?

Last edited by tharian : 12th August 2015 at 15:36.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 21:40   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What is the charging cable for the dashcam like? is it not the regular mobile charging type? I mean micro usb socket type. If so then existing charger can be used.
It has a micro USB on one end and cigarette lighter socket on the other end. Since it will be a permanent feature in my car, I'll connect it to a second cigarette lighter socket and hide it behind the dash.

I don't want to meddle with the charger/cable since high quality USB cables in that length are hard to find/expensive.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 03:33   #262
BHPian

The price of Blaupunkt 2.0 has gone up by Rs. 100 today. I placed an order yesterday for Rs. 2090 and today it is Rs. 2190.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blau...g/656059560877

I will be ordering for Sandisk Ultra 32 GB SD card. It is selling at Rs. 729 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00R...tronics&sr=1-9

Now waiting to receive the dash cam.
fast_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 11:14   #263
BHPian

Default The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is there an option on the Blaupunkt 2.0 to make the recording loop and record over once the SD card is full?

I have inserted a 16gb SD card which fills up in around 60-75 mins of recording on 720p. Once it is full, it stops recording. However, I feel there is an option to start recording again over the previous records.

Is that correct?

Yes there is -

Menu-> Loop recording

Question -

The cam stops recording after a minute of the engine being turned off

But I hate seeing that red light on the charger still glowing after locking the car. I don't like the idea of some electric appliance staying on in a locked car. Chances of a fire in case of a short circuit. Any pointers on how I can ensure that the power to the charger is also cut as soon as my key is out. Right now I unplug the charger

Last edited by v_2rahjo : 13th August 2015 at 11:18.
v_2rahjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 12:31   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post

When I test-ran the car on autoguard app, the recording and other options were quite good but the biggest problem lay in form of the 'shift to emergency' mode ; any pothole or speed breaker on the path, the car shudders and the app asks to send an automatic call . !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Autoguard is good and I had used it for sometime on my phone as well. It let's you loop record and restrict memory available for storing the video files. IIRC it also has a stealth mode, where you could be using navigation, and it would continue recording in the background.
When using the Android as a Dashcam, "DailyRoads Voyager" is a better app to use which has got more features and seems to be better than the Autoguard.

- The quality of the recording turned out to be better
- The sensitivity of the phone can be managed and shudders and jerks are taken care of
- More importantly, the camera can be inverted which becomes important as the mobile holder can be placed in any suitable position
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:11   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

I always wanted to have a Dashcam. Recently I was more seriously looking to buy one.

I looked at all the possible options, however I was not able decide on which one to buy with a decent price tag.
This info reached another BHPian friend unk9ja.
He told me that he has one Dashcam which he was not using for sometime now and asked me to use it before making a decision.

It is LS400W from the DOD brand. Details about the unit is in this post of his
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Finally bit the dashcam bait with purchase of the S-DOD dashcam from a friend of mine who is into selling of these.
I chose the LS400W from their product range.
My impressions so far
The box that unk9ja gave me almost like new with all the protection film still intact.
I had a spare 1GB microSD at home and I put it inside the device and switched it on. the buttons on the rear were working fine however the play button was not working.
This also happens to be the selection button for all the menu options. I was puzzled and informed him about this. he too didn't know.

Then, I opened the manual and checked for any info. It said that only memory card above class 6 must be used. I was using a class 4.
The manual also told that the maximum capacity that it can support is 32GB. So I ordered a 32GB card online and kept the device aside.

However I couldn't resist my curiosity and removed the 32gb microSD from my mobile phone and put it in the device and went out in the evening to check out the device.

On one of the speed breakers, the device blanked out and there was a white blank screen. It stopped recording from that point onwards.
When I stopped the vehicle after a few minutes, I restarted the device and from then, it worked fine.
However, after I put back the card in my mobile phone all the pictures were corrupted
I now have to recover the pictures somehow

Yesterday I got the new 32GB card and today while on my office, the device worked perfectly fine with the new card.

I had set it to record in 5 minutes segments and for the 35 minute drive, the 1080p resolution consumed 3.8GB of space.The video quality is really good.
at this rate I can record ~5hrs. Since it has looping function, after 5hrs, the oldest video will be rewritten
I'm thinking of setting the resolution to 720p from now on.

The best part about this device is the anti-shake capabilities. on bad roads too, the video was very stable.
The field of view is 140 degrees and it is quite good. 160-170 degrees would have been better I felt.
The safety lock feature is a good one whereby if we press the lock button beside the screen, that particular file is protected and will not be overwritten during looping.

There is a still capture mode and a video mode. I'm now using it in the video mode and below is a screenshot of the video. It shows a toppled truck.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-tbhp.jpg

Other reviews suggest that this is very good in low light but I have to test it.
I'm now checking if the device hanging was an one-off event or frequent. If it is not frequent, then this is a very good dashcam and I'll buy it.
GPS tagging and wifi is not present but at this price point it is a very good buy.

Attached is one segment of today's drive to office
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:23   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Attached is one segment of today's drive to office
You need to change the privacy setting, right now it is set as private
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:45   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You need to change the privacy setting, right now it is set as private
I have now changed it. hope you are able to see it now.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 17:20   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Received the Blaupunkt BP 2.0 dash cam last weekend (thanks to Sunnyboi who had shared the Snapdeal link in the Online shopping thread).
Thanks for that post Gannu_1!!
I also got the same device from snapdeal for ₹2300 and it was delivered on 12th August. I have been using it since yesterday. I have set the loop record to 2 minutes and tried 1080p and 1080p FHD modes, they occupy about ~285MB of space per clip. I have turned off sound recording since the conversation we were having in the car was clear in the video. I reviewed the clips from yesterday afternoon, night and today morning . The night time clips had some noise( grainy) but could still easily read the number plates and other text like hoardings. The morning and afternoon time clips were decent.

I have mounted the cam behind the IRVM as high as possible so that it blends with the RVM and does not attract attention from outside also that way I was able to completly route the wire along the edge of the windshield, A pillar, weather strip and below the glove box. There was still some cable left and this was in an innova, thumbs up to Blaupunkt for that. Which part of the windshield have you mounted yours?

What is the maximum temperature this can withstand? I live in Chennai and once in a while cannot avoid parking the car under the sun and believe me when I say it gets super hot!

Warning: Dashcam noob. Experts please help

Another general doubt is if want to copy the clips from the cam is it advisable to remove the SD card alone from the device or remove the cam itself from the holder? And will removing the cam frequently from the holder cause it to become loose over a period of time?

Last edited by Shanksta : 13th August 2015 at 17:21.
Shanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 17:50   #269
BANNED

Can anyone post a pictorial description on how to route the charging cable from the mount to the power source?
ILTDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 18:32   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Can anyone post a pictorial description on how to route the charging cable from the mount to the power source?
Hi, you can go through my following post in another thread. Hope it helps. Mine is a Wagon R.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3774585

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th August 2015 at 18:53.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote