Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th January 2016, 11:17   #601
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

An interesting watch on why DVRs in cars in Russia, though a bit old

We maynot see something like these on our roads but road rage and rash incidents are seen surely where these cams can be really useful.

AliExpress seems to have a couple of SJ4000 duplicates trading at quite attractive rates, only if the cams do perform atleast somewhere close to the original. Had seen some youtube reviews where people did get some good working samples.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SJ400...562164877.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SJ400...486072029.html

Unsure if these are built on Novatek 96650 chipset like original.

There is another, called G30, with wider screen and Novatek 96620 chipset pretty similar to GT300.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1080P...521971902.html

Anybody got hands on G30?
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 12:43   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I ordered the gt300 on the 21st and doubt if it will be shipped..
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My second order got cancelled. Just received the mail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even my second order placed on 19th Jan got cancelled. Received a mail yesterday.

The first order placed on Jan 17 is shipped.

Not too bothered about the second one getting cancelled.
My first order placed on Jan 19 got cancelled.. I placed another order on Jan 22, where the processing time expires in the next 14 hours or so. Am going to extend and see if this works
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:06   #603
BHPian

I ordered 2 and both are shipped. Seller has given a tracking code:
International Shipping Company Tracking Number Remarks Details China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus 02602591977

RefreshTracking information is available within 5-10 days. You can track your order here China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus while it is still in China.

But I dont know if the package will arrive. All tracking links are erroring out or says no package!
artrocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:56   #604
BHPian

Ideally it would be practical to have a Dash-cam with the following features.

1. Should NOT be suction-cup mounted. The intense heat during the day will definitely over time make these suction cups lose/reduce their adhesion and the camera can keep falling off.
Adhesive mounted ones would be better.

2. Should NOT have an inbuilt battery. This will become the single biggest failure point in the dash-cam. Repetitive charge-discharge cycles will wear them out, and the intense heat of the sun can bloat them up or make them leak or even explode which can be hazardous.
An in-built capacitor instead of an in-built battery is a lot safer and reliable option.
Contrary to popular belief, the purpose of an in-built battery/capacitor in these dashcams is not as a power source for recording, but to only save the content to the recording to memory card before shutting down in case of a power loss. For recording, the power is always from the external source (Charging point or car battery or external battery as the setup may be).

3. There is no need for a display at the back Most of these displays are low quality and they make the dash-cam bulky. The footage in the card can always be viewed on a smartphone or PC.

4. The dash-cam should auto-start upon starting the car and should switch off on stopping the engine - As simple as that. All you really need is a pause, volume mute/umute, power button on the cam.

I haven't come across any cam that offer all the features above.

I came across an interesting one from Innovv (link).
This one has a small front and rear camera unit with a centralized recording unit that can be kept in the dash. Seperating the recording unit and camera really makes the cam very small and discreet and should protect the recording unit from direct sunlight. But the cost looks prohibitive.
Any other similar cheaper option would be good.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th January 2016 at 15:21.
for_cars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 16:20   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
1. Should NOT be suction-cup mounted. The intense heat during the day will definitely over time make these suction cups lose/reduce their adhesion and the camera can keep falling off.

2. Should NOT have an inbuilt battery. This will become the single biggest failure point in the dash-cam. Repetitive charge-discharge cycles will wear them out, and the intense heat of the sun can bloat them up or make them leak or even explode which can be hazardous.
An in-built capacitor instead of an in-built battery is a lot safer and reliable option.
Contrary to popular belief, the purpose of an in-built battery/capacitor in these dashcams is not as a power source for recording, but to only save the content to the recording to memory card before shutting down in case of a power loss. For recording, the power is always from the external source (Charging point or car battery or external battery as the setup may be).

3. There is no need for a display at the back Most of these displays are low quality and they make the dash-cam bulky. The footage in the card can always be viewed on a smartphone or PC.

4. The dash-cam should auto-start upon starting the car and should switch off on stopping the engine - As simple as that. All you really need is a pause, volume mute/umute, power button on the cam.

Speaking of my experience with the dashcam GT300,
1. The suction cup has not failed till date in the last four months of usage. Forget coming apart, it is not even loose since I test it once a few days and I havent re-mounted it till now.

2. The battery in my dashcam barely lasts for a minute. As you said, it is just enough for the recording to continue for around 30 secs after ignition off and save that file. I am not sure if that is even a battery. Regarding safety part, yes I agree with your view but I think the battery is too small for anything serious to happen. Worst case it will split open the camera case. Lipo batteries are very small and here I guess it will be less than 100mAh. That will be smaller than a one rupee coin AFAIK.

3. Yes, the display is kind of unnecessary during use. However if there is no display it will be difficult to configure the camera settings. It will require some other means like plugging into a computer/phone etc to program it which will be a feature of an expensive setup.

4. Exactly what my dashcam does. And that is what every dashcam will do if you wire it right. You will not have to start and stop recording manually, which you can also do.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 16:21   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ideally it would be practical to have a Dash-cam with the following features ...

There are quite a few that offer the very same features that you're looking for. Livue LB100 is a VFM proposition. There are many more at varying price brackets. Check out the options available from Blackvue, if you're ready to spend a little extra. My review here (DashCam Review : Blackvue DR500GW-HD)
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 16:43   #607
BHPian

Quote:
However, temporary attachment via suction cup is a good idea if you want to mount it somewhere else for a while - to get a different angle or something. Of course you could also buy more than one mount and do the same thing. There are suction cups available where you can "pump" up the vacuum from time to time and prevent them coming unstuck. Also, adhesives can be messy and some of them won't tolerate high temperatures either.

Quote:
Again, lets say you want to temporarily take the cam out, put it in a waterproof housing and mount it externally for some particular angle or shot. No way to do this without having battery power. Sure, eventually LiPo batteries will run down but the lifetime would probably be in years and you can buy replacement batteries for when they do fail.

Quote:
Sure, but sometimes you want to change a setting or make sure you're whatever you're shooting is in the frame. The screen on mine helped to diagnose some firmware issues where recording would suddenly stop after a few minutes.

Quote:
Like most things, it all depends on the intended usage I guess.
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 18:00   #608
BHPian

Folks,

Need advice on buying a decent DVR at a budget of around 8-10k. My priorities are :
1. Should have good recording capability both at day as well as night time.
2. Should have capacitor based battery ( This so that the battery does not need charging always)
3. Should not be too big.
4. GPS logging if available then good but not a deal breaker.

Please do suggest!
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 18:10   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Speaking of my experience with the dashcam GT300.
Can you please check whether the camera can be powered by a Power Bank via a USB cable. I intend to power it via the USB - Power Bank set up when the vehicle is parked.

Last edited by Ramon : 28th January 2016 at 18:11.
Ramon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 19:05   #610
Senior - BHPian

Guys did you noticed the same GT300 Dash-cam which was for $6 is now for $39

Does it means whoever booked it for $6, they can say goodbye to those $6? Or will that money be credited back to us via Aliexpress? Cause i dont think supplier would send it for such a less amount, this sure is a scam.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Novat...594157605.html
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 19:08   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

Need advice on buying a decent DVR at a budget of around 8-10k. My priorities are :
1. Should have good recording capability both at day as well as night time.
2. Should have capacitor based battery ( This so that the battery does not need charging always)
3. Should not be too big.
4. GPS logging if available then good but not a deal breaker.

Please do suggest!
Why don't you try Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50, it satisfies all the conditions above and is very reliable. I have been using it with a memory card of 32 GB till date and its really good. No issues faced till date(touchwood)

Here is a link for the same which is available at $62. Earlier I had bought this at $74.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html

Also here is the link to my ownership thread where I have posted some videos for both day and night(watch in HD). Hope this helps

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3780261
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 19:35   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Why don't you try Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50, it satisfies all the conditions above and is very reliable. I have been using it with a memory card of 32 GB till date and its really good. No issues faced till date(touchwood)

Here is a link for the same which is available at $62. Earlier I had bought this at $74.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_113549.html

Also here is the link to my ownership thread where I have posted some videos for both day and night(watch in HD). Hope this helps

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3780261
thanks fushionbang. This definately looks good and has all the things I need. Thanks for the link. Does gearbest ship to India as well? The deal is quite good and the product is VFM. So thinking of buying it if it does ship it across to India. Else I would have to get somebody from US to get it here.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 20:32   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys did you noticed the same GT300 Dash-cam which was for $6 is now for $39
On the last day before the order would be cancelled, I guessed seller would be overburdened & extended the processing time by 7 days. Weirdly, today it displays that the processing time is 24 days!

Godknows, let's see. I guess AliBaba must have some purchase protection.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 20:44   #614
BHPian

My GT300 order was also close to getting cancelled so I too extended the processing time. Lets see what happens.
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 20:53   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
thanks fushionbang. This definately looks good and has all the things I need. Thanks for the link. Does gearbest ship to India as well? The deal is quite good and the product is VFM. So thinking of buying it if it does ship it across to India. Else I would have to get somebody from US to get it here.
They definitely ship to India and it is free. I got it to my Bangalore address, but it took close to 4 weeks.
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote