Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 14:06   #646
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishhm74 View Post
Just received a mail from Aliexpress that my order of this item at 6$ is now frozen due to suspicious nature and until the seller provides surety it will hold and refund if it finds an issue here.
Yup i got the same mail too today. Well it was an eye opener for all of us i guess. Lets see when we would get our refund.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 14:14   #647
BHPian
 
dr_anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 98
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Very disappointed to get the same email. Now will have to order another one. Any suggestions?
dr_anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 14:15   #648
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 2,936 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Very disappointed to get the same email. Now will have to order another one. Any suggestions?
The same GT300. For 20$. Worth it IMO.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 16:03   #649
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The same GT300. For 20$. Worth it IMO.
Seems Novatek G30 can also be considered. Size seems to be bit bigger, Technical specification and price seems similar and have more IR LED's. 6 IR LED's, where as the GT300 has only 1.
sujithsidhardha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 16:11   #650
BHPian
 
virgopal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore,Mysore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yup i got the same mail too today. Well it was an eye opener for all of us i guess. Lets see when we would get our refund.
I too received such a mail from AliExpress informing that the order for Dashcam is frozen .
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:13   #651
BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 935
Thanked: 1,402 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I too have received the same mail.

I wonder why'd a seller with >97% credibility commit fraud for such a small amount. I don't think he's paid by the website till he ships the product, so it can't be a way to source working capital.

I somehow feel that the seller could've been planning to honor the orders from the next batch of cameras. Maybe that's why he would've extended the processing time.

Anyway, it could be anything, let's see.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:45   #652
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,176
Thanked: 1,678 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Seems Novatek G30 can also be considered. Size seems to be bit bigger, Technical specification and price seems similar and have more IR LED's. 6 IR LED's, where as the GT300 has only 1.
Don't shortlist based on IR LEDs, they are mostly useless (any number) on the budget dashcams. Check for the processor and sensor.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:49   #653
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 445
Thanked: 86 Times
Thumbs up Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Don't shortlist based on IR LEDs, they are mostly useless (any number) on the budget dashcams. Check for the processor and sensor.
+1. Along with those, one needs to consider the file size for a given duration. Dashcams need to improve a lot on this front.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 17:56   #654
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Similar to many others order here with that particular vendor, my order is also frozen which I ordered on 22nd Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I somehow feel that the seller could've been planning to honor the orders from the next batch of cameras. Maybe that's why he would've extended the processing time.
I am doubtful of the above statement as the same vendor has re-listed the same model for about $40 in the website. The number of pieces of the model available with the vendor as noticed yesterday, was around 470. So we can conclude that he was not interested to honour our orders for the same at $5.6.

Moreover, our messages to him regarding shipping of our orders evoked no response and also to my knowledge, he never requested for extension of processing time
batman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 18:13   #655
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. Along with those, one needs to consider the file size for a given duration. Dashcams need to improve a lot on this front.
You said it. Dash cams need to improve a lot! These economic models don't have any video compression, don't have a proven night vision, don't have auto exposure settings. They should be able to read the number plates of vehicles at least within 9-10 meters.

But we couldn't expect much from a dash cam that's cost less than 20$.
sujithsidhardha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:15   #656
BHPian
 
mukundz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hey guys ordered the Mini 0805 on GearBest for 62$.

Anyone who's recently ordered, any estimate on the shipping time to Bangalore? I selected SingPost for shipping options. Received an email yesterday that its been shipped out.
mukundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:54   #657
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,496
Thanked: 2,963 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
You said it. Dash cams need to improve a lot! These economic models don't have any video compression, don't have a proven night vision, don't have auto exposure settings. They should be able to read the number plates of vehicles at least within 9-10 meters.

But we couldn't expect much from a dash cam that's cost less than 20$.
Serious question - if I can get a cheap dashcam in 20$ to confirm that it was not my fault, then any such cam should be fine enough, no?

If one has higher expectations as you have outlined, then i am agreeable to spend $100-150. As of now, I think my limited needs are okay with an inexpensive dashcam.

Am I thinking about it wrong? Please let me know your thoughts.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:44   #658
BHPian
 
gearhead_mait's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 326
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Serious question - if I can get a cheap dashcam in 20$ to confirm that it was not my fault, then any such cam should be fine enough, no?

If one has higher expectations as you have outlined, then i am agreeable to spend $100-150. As of now, I think my limited needs are okay with an inexpensive dashcam.
A "good" dashcam should be able to:

1) In case of an untoward incident, record a wide angle video (>140 degrees) of the entire incident with clear shot of the number plates, and that too during low light conditions e.g. during night.

2) To successfully implement point (1), the firmware have to be of excellent quality. It has to withstand temperatures exceeding 55-60 degree Celsius (which the inside of any car parked in summer time attains easily), and still function with the same precision. Not only while being driven around after a long time in the parking under sunlight, but while being parked as well (Motion sensor).

If this could be attained by a dashcam, however cheap it is, then its worth the deal.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:55   #659
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 445
Thanked: 86 Times
Smile Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
A "good" dashcam should be able to:

1) In case of an untoward incident, record a wide angle video (>140 degrees) of the entire incident with clear shot of the number plates, and that too during low light conditions e.g. during night.

2) To successfully implement point (1), the firmware have to be of excellent quality. It has to withstand temperatures exceeding 55-60 degree Celsius (which the inside of any car parked in summer time attains easily), and still function with the same precision. Not only while being driven around after a long time in the parking under sunlight, but while being parked as well (Motion sensor).

If this could be attained by a dashcam, however cheap it is, then its worth the deal.
Along with that, It should easily record at decent resolution 12-14 hours of video on a single card.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:57   #660
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,453
Thanked: 873 Times
Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have been stalking dashcam's these days.
Recently on Goa trip in the year end, I saw quite some road rage on the Goa streets what with zooming loud cars and bikes (though they were a very few) and the same guys holding up traffic and later tormenting a car driver unnecessarily. Not that I have not seen it earlier anywhere else, but this was happening to a tourist car that was entering the Goa and those very few rugs behaving so with the tourist. So that sealed the thought of getting one.

Objectives are simple:
1. Capture any nuisance, indiscipline on road, traffic issues for self or others, decently usable in case needed
2. Capture our touring for own collection, so decent video capture is needed in daytime and sometimes night. I so much regret NOT-CAPTURING Ladakh moments last time in 2013. But will surely capture next time.
3. Dashcam should be as small as possible, inconspicuous by its presence, but not necessarily if it comes to price, as do not want to spend a hell lot on it. A118 is total stealth in that sense.

Definitely a complete high end one is not desired but a decently usable.

I have been checking out a lot of dashcams on YouTube and sites. There are quite a few options in varied ranges.

GT300 is definitely worthy to consider given its capture and videos seen so far, at the price range it retails, decent screen and form factor. It is also sold as some other brand (Monkon or something like that) in some other parts. It was highly on radar until this seller suddenly ramped up price to $40 from $6 which triggered alarm. Now it seems AliExpress is withholding the transactions. Not to worry guys, all should get their refunds. I have had good experience with AliExpress so far.

So off I went raising the budget limitation to $17-20 at which it is retailing on AliExpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-s...591474839.html

At the same time, GT300 is available for $15.20 on GearBest if anybody wants to grab quickly before deal runs out in few days.

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_294480.html


I have seen videos of G30 which has same chipset of Novatek 96220, which also seems to have decent quality. The same is available below $10 on AliExpress. But problem with it for me is the bigger size and so many unnecessary LEDs visible from front, which I believe are useless for the webcam capture.


For me, I am now thinking a bit more.
I am now thinking of SJCAM SJ4000 rip-off SJ7000, which is available at a decent price on both sites, quality is good as per YouTube videos, nice small form factor, 2" screen, all nice accessories including bicycle and motorcycle mount, control available via wifi apps available on Google Store, SJCAM app supposedly works too (hopefully). However, that will need a car windshield suction mount and a car charger to be bought separately.

Last edited by parsh : 2nd February 2016 at 19:18.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use your Camcorder/Digicam as a Dashcam for Rs.100 mukeshgoel Modifications & Accessories 20 15th September 2015 14:24
The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder) rrangan Gadgets, Computers & Software 23 4th March 2015 12:03
Spy video camera with recorder for car gaddiwale Gadgets, Computers & Software 13 19th July 2014 04:22
Portable Audio Recorder Reqd condor Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 2nd January 2008 09:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks