Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th April 2016, 16:28   #961
BHPian

Default Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Looking at this thread, I am even more confused.
My heart says not to go with Chinese products, rather opt for DP 200 or 220. Mind says, not to invest approx 10k for the product which can be had for 4-5k.

It would help if we can have a poll on most preferred cam and + and - of each.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 13:15   #962
BHPian

So, finally ordered a GT300 from Aliexpress earlier this month after lazing around for long. The one that I ordered is listed here.

Received the package yesterday. This was my first time for ordering anything from China. The experience is not good. Packaging was dilapidated.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1414.jpg

May be because it weathers 15 days of cross country journey, bouncing between heaps of cargos, thrown across customs and back in airport storage godowns. But - you can be a little clever and pack it in a better way that will not even add up to your cost.

Next, after opening the package, it was what I was fearing. The box was almost about to give away.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1415.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1416.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1417.jpg

Thankfully, there was no damage to the product inside. I was surprised not to find a word / phrase anywhere similar to GT300 on the box.

So my first Chinese order was meeting the fate of what I always thought it was.

Unboxed the package, with following contents:

1. Camera wrapped in a flimsy poly bag
2. Windshield Mount.
3. 2 cables, one with a USB end and the other with lighter plug. The one with the lighter plug is long enough for tucking inside running panels.
4. Manual.

Waited till morning to put it up on the windshield. Easy setup. Mount quality seems to be good (the only thing which is good, probably). Used the USB cable to plug in the already present dual USB charger in my car. It started working as soon as plugged in.

Here is the sample video captured today from my drive to work.

Please choose the HD version to view. Though it says that its recorded in 1080p (and the file size of each 3 minute clip is 500mb+), I seriously doubt that. Please ignore the dates, since I cannot get into setup. Licence plates of the cars ahead are legible only when they are close enough. Video is grainy too. Need to check the night view while on my way back home. Will update, though I'm not hopeful.

The buttons on the cam are misfiring too. I cannot get into setup and change the settings. Manual provided is in English, but it is a joke Sample this:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1430.jpg

Overall, please stay away from GT300s on aliexpress (There are hundreds of listings there, and its hard to figure out which one is original)

I have logged a dispute on aliexpress for poor quality and requested a full refund. Let's see how it goes.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 17:02   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
So, finally ordered a GT300 from Aliexpress earlier this month after lazing around for long. The one that I ordered is listed here.
I got a similar one from Gearbest a few days back. At full resolution, the video looks like its been up-rezzed using a software. The next highest resolution works better IMO. Agree on reading license plates- pretty useless for that.

Mine has the following issues:
1. At times the video appears blurry
2. Loop recording doesnt work. I have to manually delete files
3. While it took a spare 64gb card that was lying around, i was not able to download the video to my laptop (only playback via the dashcam). Had to buy a 32gb card

Overall quality of video is ok for the price i paid ($15 not including the memory card), but not like how they advertise.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 19:38   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

Received the package yesterday. This was my first time for ordering anything from China. The experience is not good. Packaging was dilapidated.
<snip>
Raised a dispute on Aliexpress. Seller promptly responded with an apology (which I am not sure if they really mean) and promised to despatch another one, this time an original GT300. Upon receipt of the despatch details and extension of buyer protection period by the seller, I have cancelled the dispute to wait and see if they have despatched a genuine one. Fingers crossed.
1lokesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 09:16   #965
BHPian

It is going to be almost 1 year, July 2015 from Aliexpress, I bought 2 of my SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi Action Cameras and using them as Dashcam in my Scorpio. I thought it is time to recap and write some review feedback on the same. Even though I have the camera fitted in my car for last 1 year, I never utilized it for its intended purpose - i.e. showing video for any untoward incident.

What I liked:
- Quality of Video recorded, 170 degree wide angle lens, day/night vision etc. Number plates etc are clearly visible.
- In case of power interruptions (car switching off), does a gentle shutdown without corrupting the current video recording, using its battery
- Usability and Menu options etc and the build quality is descent. No issue so far with date/time settings
- Wifi feature is ok, pairs with the Android phone and can do preview and file transfer through the App.
- multiple accessories provided with SJCAM were useful for me for my other DIY projects

- So far extremely happy with them, have been extensively using it and it is always fixed in my car, both front and rear
- No issues identified with non-availability of video clippings, quality of video or night time video - all good
- Using it like fix it - forget it and has been working flawlessly so far. Cam starts automatically when my car ignition is on
- Fixed them on a default mount that came along with the box, fixed the mounts on windshield using a 3M double sided tape that came with SJCAM
- Easy to remove the camera when needed, the sticky mount has a threaded screw using which I can remove the camera
- So far removed the camera a couple of times, mostly when giving car for servicing
- in some occasions had to leave the camera inside the car in hot sun, a handful of times, so far didn't face any issues.

Some additional usage of the SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi, to share:
- used the camera for some underwater experiments using its water tight casing, it has also performed well
- can use the camera for home surveillance when needed, using its wifi feature
- The rear camera in the car can be used as a reverse camera when needed, it decently pairs with the phone without any major issues. Android App is a basic one
- as an action cam, it can be used on biking, trekking, etc, and as general purpose alternate camera (noticed battery backup varies from 30 mints to 1 hour approx., based on usage)

I did the wiring in the car as a DIY myself for both front and rear cameras. I bought a couple of USB extension cables from Amazon and used them to extend the wire from the 12V Cigar sockets in my car. Cables are neatly hidden under the beadings, carpet etc. That also seem to be standing without any issues so far.

One thing I thought could have been better is to have the Wifi feature also turning on Automatically. Currently I need to go to the camera and press a button to turn it on. Particularly on the camera at the back side, this is a one time activity every time we start the car in order to use it as a reverse camera in the car. If Wifi turns on automatically, then we can just pair the phone and see the preview to see the footage from the rear side camera when required.
narayanang76 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:21   #966
Senior - BHPian

I recieved the Mini0805 I had ordered off Aliexpress on the 14th of April. The cam 'looks' ok, I haven't connected yet, but packaging has me slightly worried.

Anyone else with a similar box?

Name:  ForumRunner_20160429_172032.png
Views: 976
Size:  554.7 KB
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 22:29   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I recieved the Mini0805 I had ordered off Aliexpress on the 14th of April. but packaging has me slightly worried.

Anyone else with a similar box?
Looks suspicious IMO. No brand name nothing. The MINI 0806 that I got had properly labeled packing.

Can you post the link of purchase?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 22:40   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Looks suspicious IMO. No brand name nothing. The MINI 0806 that I got had properly labeled packing.

Can you post the link of purchase?
Here you go:

MINI 0805 Car DVR Recorder 1.5" TFT Screen GPS Auto Camcorder 1296P HD Resolution 120 Degree Angle Lens Support 32GB SD Card
http://s.aliexpress.com/ymmI3uuU
(from AliExpress Android)
Old 29th April 2016, 22:47   #969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Here you go
Thank you. Go to the reviews for this product. In that page some users have given pictures of what they received.

Posting those pictures for easy reference.

Name:  IMG_20160429_224354_1410678839.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20160429_224353_1127769846.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160429_224549.png
Views: 917
Size:  406.6 KB

Images of the box seems to be correct on what they have posted as compared to yours which is plain.

Contact the seller and ask for a solution.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 22:55   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Images of the box seems to be correct on what they have posted as compared to yours which is plain.

Contact the seller and ask for a solution.
The box I've received is similar, Anurag. It was to the incorrectly spelled word ("momery") that I was drawing attention to.
Btw, here's the top view of the box I've received,

Name:  ForumRunner_20160429_225454.png
Views: 921
Size:  528.2 KB
Old 1st May 2016, 11:09   #971

This is not quite a reply to the last post! Apologies if there is a better way to post.
I have been using a Blaupunkt dashcam for quite some time now. However, the suction cup (and the camera) keeps falling off once every few months. My car is parked in the open all days of the year (This wasnt the case until October 2015)
Other than fixing it back by cleaning the suction cup, are there any other harmless tricks you can suggest?
Regards,
kk
XUV500 W8, 17months, 19500km
kkbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 12:13   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbv View Post

Other than fixing it back by cleaning the suction cup, are there any other harmless tricks you can suggest?

You can try applying around 2-3 drops of water on the surface of the suction mount and then apply it on the windshield. This technique worked in my case and the dashcam has been in place for quite sometime now.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 14:37   #973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbv View Post
This is not quite a reply to the last post! Apologies if there is a better way to post.
That's ok; it doesn't have tobe!
Quote:
I have been using a Blaupunkt dashcam for quite some time now. However, the suction cup (and the camera) keeps falling off once every few months. ... ... ...
A few months is really not to bad for a suction cup, even though some may hold on much longer. I'd start being dissatisfied if (like my attempts with phone-holding suction cups on my dashboard) if it would not even last one journey.

My simple suggestion: pre-empt the falling off by removing and re-sticking it once every month or two.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:32   #974
BHPian

My Car Dashcam didn't work when needed... I connected my cam through a car power socket splitter, because I need to connect 2 devices at the same time. The splitter I bought from Amazon and it is not of a great quality, so it has some loose contact problems. Usually I check the Dashcam power status before moving the car. But this fateful day, I didn't check that and the Dashcam was not working. One VW Vento scraped my Brio's front left bumper and sped away. I was depending on my cam, so I even didn't notice the other car number
sibitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 22:23   #975
BHPian

My DIY attempt at adding a CPL filter to the mini 0805 with neodymium magnets - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3969792 (My Earth-Brown Hyundai i20 Active 1.4L CRDi SX)
harsh79 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote